Age of Wonders 3 Reviews

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Age of Wonders 3 Reviews

Tagged: 

This topic contains 114 replies, has 64 voices, and was last updated by  Erik Welson 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 115 total)
  • Author

ten9

http://www.pcgamer.com/review/age-of-wonders-3-review/

8.3 out of 10 from one of the big websites.

Edi

Found another review:
    http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/04/06/age-of-wonders-iii-review/

That one is from a newcomer to the series and is all in all a very nice little endorsement. 🙂

ten9

woffle99

Mezmorki

This one get posted yet? From the Scientific Gamer:
    http://scientificgamer.com/thoughts-age-of-wonders-iii/

Great site and articles that one – needless to say he liked the game and he’s a tough critic.

Taykor

A Russian site, tracked by the Metacritic:
    http://riotpixels.com/age-of-wonders-3-review/
    78/100

robc04

I just posted my Age of Wonders 3 review. I hope it’s useful to somebody.

MartyD81

A 7.7 User Review score at Metacritic? You kidding? I am fed up with the constant pointless spamming of 0’s and game bashing for no valid reason. Just because it is not a new Civ it does not justify such a terrible mark. Other reasons they claim are also laughable and
    out-of-place. Those people just seem to be venting their anger and all sorts of negative emotions they have collected elsewhere. It is unfair to any game reviewed, to say the least. It is double as unfair to AoW III with its prospect of getting only better with upcoming updates, new features and content.
    I was really appaled, so I immediately got the urgent need to put this thing right and wrote my own review, or rather deeper impressions from mid-game. It goes by the name of MartyD81 under the By Date User Reviews tag. I hereby encourage every AoW fan to contribute, let’s all get the game’s score to where it belongs!

Socram

You consider 7.7 a terrible score? Really?
    I agree that the user scores of Metacritic are pretty much useless because of the constant spamming of unjustified 0’s and also 10’s… but AoW3 seems to have gotten more of the latter 😉
    Anyway, the current user score is 7.8 and thus has only a 0.2 (!) difference from the Metascore, which is quite astounding considering that a lot of popular games have a much, muuuuuch lower user- than Metascore.

MartyD81

Yes, it is sort of a lower score in my view. Sure, the score itself is not that bad, it means a very solid game being fairly high above average but AoWIII definitely deserves something like 8.0–8.5 IMHO. I just do not like an injustice being done.

robc04

I’m not exactly sure why you think it is an injustice if some people don’t like the game quite as much as you do. I love blackberries, but if you don’t it isn’t an injustice to blackberries. I can understand that you want a game you really enjoy to gain a lot of kudos, but there is nothing wrong with someone giving the game a 6 because they thought it was slightly better than average. Spamming 0’s is a crappy practice though.

I stopped putting scores on my reviews because it is too hard to be consistent across games.

ten9

ten9

LoboMD

I must say after trying the game i still miss MoM. Spells, units and buildings.
    Spells: I like the talents that affect all, but it seems to easy to get.
    I miss the big spell book from old MoM, Create item, summon hero and other good stuff.
    Units: Heros: custom hero and the background options they had. Charsmatic Artifier etc etc
    Also units in MoM was on race, this seems more like alle have same units and then ofc the extra units you get from your heros class.
    Buildings, again many more buildings so you to get your super town it would take a long time.
    The game play etc is fine in AoW3 but it gets boring fast because of the small spam of choices. only thing to make a dif is heros class and that still small.

Had high hopes, but must say abit disapointed!

Mezmorki

Just posted a blog post review / reflections of AoW3 over at my BoardGameGeek blog Big Game Theory! Sweet!

LordTheRon

Finally an 8.0 now on metacritic thanks to a late review from a German magazine.

ten9

I was wondering, have copies for reviews been sent out to the big gaming sites?
    I have hardly seen any review of Golden Realms yet.

The game in its current state is excellent in my opinion. I hope it gets picked up by the gaming press.

ten9

I noticed there is a Metacritic entry now for Golden Realms.
    You can post a review there.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/age-of-wonders-iii—golden-realms

con1k

Hi there!
    There is a review of Golden Realms by a german magazine.

There is no numerical rating but it is very postive and underlines the smart addition of units and mechanics, the new patch and the fair pricing.

con1k

ten9

5 stars out of 5 from Tom Chick at Quarter to three!

I missed that one!

http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2014/10/02/golden-realms-fulfills-promise-age-wonders-iii-adds-hobbits/

This is his conclusion for the Godlen Realms DLC:

‘Golden Realms is a best-case scenario for how to do DLC. It’s got the kind of stuff that you wouldn’t want to do without if you’re playing Age of Wonders III. Even if you’re not playing a halfling race, they’re worth having in the rogue’s gallery of your AI opponents and allies. Wild magic is more than just new colors of fireball spells. If you’re not into empire quests — who doesn’t like more quests and rewards? — you can switch them off, but they offer milestones as the game progresses. These are all nice additions. But as far as I’m concerned, playing Age of Wonders III without Seals of Power is like watching a movie without the ending. Golden Realms, which provides Age of Wonders III with its ending, fulfills admirably the promise of a promising game.’

I”ll have to say great game guys!. I never played any of your other games. Until I ran across age of wonder 3 and it’s a great game! Thanks for making a cool game for me and, my friends to nerd out on.

Sarkia

3 of 5 was really unfair. But well, amazing game.

Yelok

Actually, reviews must be updated, cause the original release is very very very different that actual one.

The dev´s team factor must count as a very positive review.

Charlatan

AOW3 is the first game I gave 10/10, not as a lame counter to unjustified 0/10 spammers, but because I truly think AOW3 is currently the best game of it’s specific genre.

If relative comparisons came into this, it should actually be something like 12/10 Why? Because it is not fair to compare it to certain other fat, spoiled franchises who have a lot more resources, staff and more extravagant advantages behind them.

In simpler terms, larger companies with their assets and all basically only have to work their games from 5 to 10. Triumph had to develop their game from 0 to 10. Both games end with up with a 10 in this example, but the latter is worth more.

Well, 1152 hrs played must mean something lol.

It’s an amazing game, and it just got better.

Is it perfect? No, but then again, nothing truly is.

Out of 10, I say 9. Bear in mind Endless Legend for me gets 6.5 (maybe 7 ) and Beyond Earth gets 6, and you see the differences.

con1k

BBB, i value these games similar

B2topic: GR got an honorable mention as one of the 10 best DLCs of 2014 by the german magazine GameStar!

Edit: it’s the most popular german gaming magazine

Helgrind

Maybe this is waaaay to late to adress butt Matt Chat did a video game review of AOW3 on his youtube channel.
    Check it out if you got the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMk28a2GkSY

Helgrind

LordTheRon

Very nice review by Mezmorki on eXplorminate4x.com
    http://explorminate4x.com/2015/04/14/age-of-wonders-3-eternal-lords-review/

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 115 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.