AOW 3 over LAN

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions AOW 3 over LAN

This topic contains 25 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  Stormwind 3 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author

ragabhava

Hello there,

long time fan here hopes to play AOW3 over LAN at home with his kids. Just old fashioned LAN gaming, not hot seat, PBEM or online multi player. Will that be possible ?

terrahero

Yes, but when you start a multiplayer game you must always first authenticate with a remote server which means you both need an internet connection.
    After that its a peer-to-peer affair and you can play like you would in a LAN setup, and you wont need an internet connection anymore unless ofcourse you are playing with people who are not on your LAN.

ragabhava

thanks for the fast reply.

This probably means that every player would need a different CD Key ?

SikBok
    Keymaster

Hi,

First off, terrahero is spot on.
    Thanks terrehero.

Then on different keys, yes that would be required for multiplayer.
    The only way to do multiplayer with a single key would be to do hotseat.

Hope this answers your questions.

Gloweye

Ive got one more quest specifically fro you, SikBok.

Will Morrandir be coming back?

SikBok
    Keymaster

Hi Gloweye,

Think Morrandir went into hiding, giving some of the current plot twists : )>

ragabhava

Hi,

Then on different keys, yes that would be required for multiplayer.<br>
    The only way to do multiplayer with a single key would be to do hotseat.

I’m afraid that hotseat doesnt cut it anymore, everyone here has his own PC.

Too bad … as a family this means that we would need to buy the same game 5 times in order to play it together. I understand the economic reasoning behind it, but lets just imagine what this would mean for many other things a family of five wants to share: 5 copies of every BluRay, five Footballs, five times every boardgame, five times every book with bedtime stories, five cars etc.

As much as I would like to play it with my loved ones this gets too expensive, everyone surely understands. The recent “Battle Worlds” did a family package with a serious rebate for a single person buying several keys, something similar would be a really nice move from Triumph.

Also, I’ve discussed this issue in the past with several friends, all longtime (ie ‘old farts’) gamers who have little time but who’d love to invite/introduce other friends to a game they’ve discovered and enjoyed… as everyone in the group needs a key for this to happen the threshold just is too high. Lots of gamers I know with little time would be helped by such a formula (ie mass rebate).

wollron

Whats wrong with Hotseat? I know its kind of slow, but it gives a nice feeling to sit together around one computer, like old board game times. Then playing computer games suddently becomes a social affair.
    Only thing is that hotseat is more suitable for Coop-Play, otherwise the opponment have to leave the room whilst your turn.

selageth

Too bad … as a family this means that we would need to buy the same game 5 times in order to play it together. I understand the economic reasoning behind it, but lets just imagine what this would mean for many other things a family of five wants to share: 5 copies of every BluRay, five Footballs, five times every boardgame, five times every book with bedtime stories, five cars etc.

I don’t see the problem here and the comparison isn’t really a good one. If you want to show someone the game, just do so. Share it via Steam family sharing. Open up a hotseat session. Let them play the demo (if there will be one). If they really like it, I’d expect everyone of them to buy their own copy (or better said: license). Otherwise it all dissolves into a copy-free-for-all, the sales drop and there won’t be any DLC or an AoW4 anytime in the future (okay, worst case scenario, but you see where I’m getting at…).

So if you’ve got friends and you want to show them the game, I’d recommend getting them to play the demo, hotseat, steam family sharing, or something similar. If they get hooked, they can buy the game. I don’t think ~55$ is that much for a full price title.

Shame. I can kind of see why they would do it, especially with the GOG version being totally DRM free, but other recent games have allowed LAN multiplayer with only one key (XCOM for instance) and I was hoping AOW would be the same.

I have three kids and there really is no way I can justify spending £120 so that all of us could play multiplayer on our own computers, and hotseat for four players would just be too slow (and with no option for simultaneous turns of course).

I’m not sure that offering a LAN option would have affected sales anyway (they stand to lose a lot more from people sharing the GOG version as a single-player only game). If they were worried about people using VPNs to play non-local multiplayer with the same key, then I’m sure that technically they could have locked it down so you could only play lan multiplayer with someone on the same subnet as you (and there are ways of identifying if someone is on a VPN).

ragabhava

Whats wrong with Hotseat? I know its kind of slow, but it gives a nice feeling to sit together around one computer, like old board game times. Then playing computer games suddently becomes a social affair.<br>
    Only thing is that hotseat is more suitable for Coop-Play, otherwise the opponment have to leave the room whilst your turn.

Indeed, playing in hotseat against each other means that pple have to be in another room. Thats pretty tedious, waiting for your turn whilst sitting around. We tried it once with Dominions 4 and … well, we’re just not in the nineties anymore, maybe it was the booze which made it fun back then.

And noone here – me included – is interested in coop, we love to pummel each other in the ground :=)

ragabhava

So if you’ve got friends and you want to show them the game, I’d recommend getting them to play the demo, hotseat, steam family sharing, or something similar. If they get hooked, they can buy the game. I don’t think ~55$ is that much for a full price title.

I’m sorry if I wasn’t clear enough: it is about one person buying multiple keys. I have three children and a wife. Thats 275 € for us to play a computer game. Forget it.

I’m pretty sure that the publisher just hasn’t really considered gamers with kids (to most gamers are still 15 years old, isn’t it ;=) ) , bc a solution could definitely be found.

wollron

I remember old Starcraft or Warcraft 2 having a cool feature.
    You could install a client on another computer, only usable for multyplayer matches.
    DiabloII two i guess..

Well then maybe you have to wait for a steam sale, sometimes there will also be a special offer to buy 4 versions for a cheap price. Wait for steam summer sale for instance, maybe the game will already be awailable for 50% or even 25% of price.. until then some nice paches or content could be added.
    Until then you could play some coop hotseat matches. I guess on the scenarions, with a strong AI, it could be lots of fun.

Hellhammer

Also quite dissapointed that they went for the online auth route…

Buying a game 4-5 times for the same household is stupid and most likely will only encourage piracy

hotseat for a game like this is unthinkable for me, I live in an appartment and what is the 2nd player supposed to do during a turn that can easily take 5+min ? wander around in the kitchen?

for me personally it’s not that big of a deal as at max I will have to buy a 2nd copy for my girlfriend if she decides to like this part as much as shadowmagic
    but still it leaves a sour taste…

Big J Money

Hopefully it won’t be long before beautiful games like this can just as easily be played on a tablet and hotseat once again becomes a viable option. Just pass the tablet around. Playing the game in this way would still be a more casual affair to be sure; you’d want something to pass the time as you wait on people to take turns (watching a movie, maybe).

This approach is ridiculous. I understand the issue of cracked/torrented games, but this aggressive approach to blocking a fun lan has ended my desire to play the game. 8 friends want to give this a bash and we have to pay near over 1000$ for a quick bash? Stupid.

The game is only $40 (all DLC) when on sale, and will probably be cheaper in the upcoming winter sale. Seems reasonable to me that each person should own a copy of the game to play MP.

Stormwind

I have to say you guys strike me as being very whiny and entitled.

I have several friends that play this game too..so what we should only have to buy one copy and share it?

Why should playing over a LAN make it any different? You got 8 people, each should buy his own copy. If you could get away with buying one and sharing it 8 ways, why shouldnt I? Why shouldnt everyone? What makes you so special?

My kids wanted to play minecraft together…bought 2 copies. They wanted to play starmade together…again I bought 2 copies. I didnt go around whining like a welfare queen that the world owes me free goods.

Gloweye

And spamming that over 2 topics, necroing both, makes even more of a whiner…

This approach is ridiculous. I understand the issue of cracked/torrented games, but this aggressive approach to blocking a fun lan has ended my desire to play the game. 8 friends want to give this a bash and we have to pay near over 1000$ for a quick bash? Stupid.

tsssk weakling,

The Devs spend allot of work and time in creating this game, and ask not that much money for it. if someone work for you and provide a product you want to use you should pay him. you cant walk in a fastfood joint, order 10 burgers and pay for 1

off course if you think this is a normal method of working with people I would like you to come here build 10 houses for me and my minions, off course I pay you for one. but don’t you dare ask money for the other 9, I already paid for a house so why should I pay you for the same work again? that is just stupid

Charlatan

A group wants access to the full game for everyone nearby, by buying it once?

Must….resist…console…peasant….comment.

Serious Version:

Do you deliberately ignore simple logic ?

Paying once to play with your family, as in local multiplayer, is the one indisputable advantage of a limited amount of CONSOLE games.

If you seriously expect to buy the game once and then let an indefinite, anonymous amount of people of YOUR choosing get the FULL copy for free…. then I am afraid nobody here can help you. I’d have suggestions for professions that can help you, but if I word that the way I want, I’d get a ban 😛

PS: Old fashioned LAN gaming required everyone to have the game as well. Of course, your first thought to this is “everyone just pirated it anyway”. Not a useful argument here I’m afraid.

AOW3 is worth buying, period.

Shaithias

ok, here is an idea. A copy of the game that is DRM protected, but with the following limitations:
    1. A Fully licensed copy of the game must be the host.
    2. No campaign.
    3. No single player.
    4. No internet. Only LAN.

This would be a great marketing opportunity. Basically it gives people a taste of what the full aow3 experience, but without the full licenses, it is just a taste. Even if it is abused in 50% of instances, those people would have either pirated or ignored the game anyway. Your not going to get market penetration there. In the other 50% of instances you get maybe half who don’t like the game. Again, no penetration. That leaves 25% that like the game and will not abuse. That’s your new marketshare. That includes people at college dorms, families etc. The rate of non-abusers go drastically down in families as well.

Say you have a father and son who like aow3. The dad has a copy and the son plays on his account. But one day they want to play together. Great, this version says they can compete in a 1v1, but no online play means they can’t be a team online. They play against each other, and then what? The son of course buys to be able to join his dad online. Splitting the cost of play out like that makes it less hurtful to the wallet.

ok, here is an idea. A copy of the game that is DRM protected, but with the following limitations:
    1. A Fully licensed copy of the game must be the host.
    2. No campaign.
    3. No single player.
    4. No internet. Only LAN.

This would be a great marketing opportunity. Basically it gives people a taste of what the full aow3 experience, but without the full licenses, it is just a taste. Even if it is abused in 50% of instances, those people would have either pirated or ignored the game anyway. Your not going to get market penetration there. In the other 50% of instances you get maybe half who don’t like the game. Again, no penetration. That leaves 25% that like the game and will not abuse. That’s your new marketshare. That includes people at college dorms, families etc. The rate of non-abusers go drastically down in families as well.

Say you have a father and son who like aow3. The dad has a copy and the son plays on his account. But one day they want to play together. Great, this version says they can compete in a 1v1, but no online play means they can’t be a team online. They play against each other, and then what? The son of course buys to be able to join his dad online. Splitting the cost of play out like that makes it less hurtful to the wallet.

Is it worth that work though? I would imagine the bulk of any game sales are from young males capable of buying games themselves or convincing their parents to buy games for them. Very few additional sales would result from this and I imagine it would be extremely easy to…”tweak” the game such that SP is enabled.

For myself, I work and I can buy my own games. I bought two copies for close friends that wanted to play with me (plus myself). If Triumph released a cheaper LAN-only version, I would have only bought one copy. It is possible they would sell less (with an even greater investment). It would be a bad business decision and also, the devs should get paid for their work.

Lastly, everyone should keep in mind that Steam constantly has sales. Winter, summer, fall, as well as random daily sales. Buying 2 copies of AoW3 on sale is about equivalent in cost to a new single console game here in America.

8 friends want to give this a bash and we have to pay near over 1000$ for a quick bash? Stupid.

Not going to pass judgement on Triumph’s policy here, but I wanted to point out that the game is currently £23 on Steam, or 30 euros on Gog.

That’s $33.7341.

For 8 people, that is $269.87. US dollars.

None of the dollars on offer are more than $1000 for 240 euros. The closest is East Caribbean dollars, with 733.217.

Not necessarily cheap (a word whose meaning is totally relative) but certainly not “over $1000.”

Fwiw, I bought 5 copies of the game myself and gave them away on this very forum, and Arjan bought 10!

I suppose it all comes down to what you are going to do with it.

I’ve got a whisper under 1,500 registered (real figure more as there was a time I was offline, hrs not registered) so for me, that would be a very good buy indeed, even if that 1500 hrs were split among 8 people.

If this is intended to be an adjunct to a family evening, where people just dabble, then that is indeed a bit expensive, ditto a “quick bash”.

However, instead of complaining, it might be worth your while to petition Triumph for a free weekend?

Or just wait for an inevitable sale.

Edit: That said, I don’t think it’s entirely fair to cast you as some sort of whiner/entitled etc, even if I don’t agree with you.

Garresh

I don’t think OP is particularly entitled, as he does raise a valid point about a problem with this sort of authentication system. However, from a design perspective it does make a great deal of sense, and the alternatives are not really feasible given the way the game is distributed.

I don’t really blame you guys for being a bit frustrated, but keep in mind that the devs would have to create workaround both on steam validation, and with their own server. The design time that would go into it would be extensive, and they are still an INDIE developer. Furthermore, the spawn copies that were allowed with starcraft and Diablo were limited to 2 spawn(the term for multiplayer only install) per cd key. And the system wasn’t perfect. Those games were also designed to be multiplayer first and foremost. Age of Wonders 3 has a pretty vibrant multiplayer community, but its not like multiplayer is the main focus. They split their attention between many different types of players.

Anyways, you really can’t blame them for their business choices. They’re a purely independent developer making turn based war games for PC only. I mean they’re niche developers in a niche market of a niche game platform. They’re not being greedy, they’re being sensible. And that pragmatism is the reason we have such a high quality game on our hands.

So yeah. Wait til it goes on sale, or just bite the bullet. Its still not that expensive. Also maybe I’m just a fan boy but I bought a couple copies and gave them away as well on various unrelated forums. Games not that expensive for how much time you get out of it.

Stormwind

Maybe if triumph released a shareable LAN version then we as a community could have gotten together (all 500k of us) and each chipped in 1/100 of a penny to buy one copy and then play it free over Hamachi.

I think its doubtful at best whether a sale of one copy would have spurred them on for the Eternal Lords expansion, however. Maybe the halflings and a few balance changes.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.