Autosave Issue

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Autosave Issue

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Seamus the Bold 1 week, 6 days ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Amdirant

I’d like to give some feedback on the autosave function.

When using Simultaneous Turns, the game autosaves at the end of a turn.

This creates an unfortunate situation where – if you lose a game and need to load in the autosave and go back to the previous turn, you can’t make any further moves (unless you didn’t happen to move that hero unit that isn’t allowed to die), and therefore you still lose. This renders the function fairly useless a lot of the time.

You can sometimes bypass this by getting ready to move the unit, and spamming the mouse buttons to get the unit to move on the next turn before the computer moves, but the computers’ moves appear to take priority. If anything else happens at the start of the turn, you’re done.

I usually save often but this has got me a few times: Game ending event>load autosave>can’t escape game ending event>rage quit.

A solution could be to autosave at the start of each turn, and another could be to have multiple rolling autosaves. E.g. Autosave A saves on every odd turn and Autosave B saves on every even turn.

Fluks

Autosaving at the start wouldn’t fix your problem I think, you would load at the beginning of a turn and you’d have the same problem as before – the computer moves faster than you.
    Having two seperate autosaves would be nice though.
    I don’t expect it’ll be implemented into this game, but maybe the devs could think of including it in their secret new project (together with a “chesslike” turn timer please, the 1 timer fits all turns policy sucks imho…)

Motasa

Like Fluks said, autosaving at the start of the turn wouldn’t solve your problem. Multiple autosaves would be nice in their next game. Also, don’t forget the Quicksave (ctrl+S)!

NINJEW

simultaneous turns isn’t that great when you’re just playing against computers. you’re effectively just playing classic turns, except you always go last. it’s a feature really more meant for when you’re playing with other people.

Motasa

simultaneous turns isn’t that great when you’re just playing against computers. you’re effectively just playing classic turns, except you always go last. it’s a feature really more meant for when you’re playing with other people.

Yet, when playing on medium or large maps with multiple opponents, even a higher end rig can struggle to keep those AI turns bearable when using classic turns. Especially when your just moving your armies in a matter of seconds and then have to wait for “eternity” for the AI to make their moves.

NINJEW

i mean, you’re still waiting the same amount of time during simultaneous turns?

You can sometimes bypass this by getting ready to move the unit, and spamming the mouse buttons to get the unit to move on the next turn before the computer moves, but the computers’ moves appear to take priority.

First I can assure you, that the AI is not taking priority it is just a lot faster with “clicking” than you are.
    Second you can rather easily get at least one move first if you set the path of your army in danger in previous round (when they are out of MP and you tell them to move somewhere they will not do it but remember the set path), then center the army get your curser over it and the use hotkeys for ending the turn (U can set them in the options menu), select the army with your mouse and hit “m” (hotkey for automove the selecte army) that way you are in most cases faster tha AI. Not your perfect solution but it gets the job done!

Having two seperate autosaves would be nice though.

Agree to that!!

Yet, when playing on medium or large maps with multiple opponents, even a higher end rig can struggle to keep those AI turns bearable when using classic turns. Especially when your just moving your armies in a matter of seconds and then have to wait for “eternity” for the AI to make their moves.

Agree to that! (especially while have quite the shittiest posible PC for being able to play this fantastic game just on minimum settings! 😉
    In the past I was hesitating a lot when considering simultaneous (never did it in the older games) but when I did: hell ya you almost manage to finish a game in half the time you would need using classic turns!!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.