Building bridges over rapids?

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Building bridges over rapids?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Hiliadan 1 week, 2 days ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Blork32

I have only recently begun playing this game and I have encountered an issue with rivers where they are all uncrossable. From reading the forums I have deduced that these must be “rapids” and that “rivers” exist, but in my observation, that is highly theoretical. I have actually never seen a normal river. This is a challenge because it makes the continental map essentially a weird islands map where you have to go over to the coast, embark, immediately disembark, and then continue back to where you were except on the other side of the “river.”

Am I missing something? Can I build a bridge over these? Have you run into the same problem?

Hiliadan

Yes that can be a problem on small maps. On large maps, I’ve never seen rapids lasting long enough to be a big nuisance in the grand strategy.

You can’t build bridges over them. You can float and fly over them. You can also go UG and cross underground and emerge through a Cave Entrance on the other side.

If you really can’t bear them, there is a mod removing them.
    But you can also consider them as a strategic obstacle to play with. They don’t last forever so you don’t HAVE TO go through water to cross.

Check out the Wiki for a lot of very good data about AoW3!
    What you really need to improve your AoW3 experience: the balance mod and its presentation video
    Last but not least, check out the Battlefield.com/AoW3 the community website for AoW3

Blork32

Thanks for the response. That makes sense, I’ve established some road networks that go around them so I guess I’ll just stick with that. Do you know how long they last or what triggers their disappearance?

Gloweye

If you can embark, AND it is one tile wide, you can build bridges over them. Just have a builder unit (which you can build everywhere you have a builder’s hall), and build roads onto that hex to build a bridge. This costs 14 MP and 60 gold. It requires walkable non-mountain hexes on either side of the water. I’ve had cases in the UG where I first had to embark to cross, dig dirt wall out, then build a bridge in the other direction.

Taykor

By the way, is it possible to make a mod with a spell to terraform them away?

Gloweye

By the way, is it possible to make a mod with a spell to terraform them away?

Should be possible.

Taykor

Should be possible.

So this could help with the problem, considering that some mods are very popular.

Gloweye

I’ll see if I can make another 2-minute mod somehow breaking the 2500 subs, like Neutralize Mana Node.

Gloweye

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1221486826

Here it is. Note that It’s impossible to build a bridge next to a city core. I found that out testing this, and for a moment thought that somehow terraforming didn’t allow for bridge building.

Taykor

Here it is.

Wow! You are brilliant. 😀 Now you just need to convince an author of some popular mod to incorporate this and the problem of rabid rapids will be (mostly) solved. 😀

Hiliadan

I think that would make sense and receive support to be included in the balance mod.

Check out the Wiki for a lot of very good data about AoW3!
    What you really need to improve your AoW3 experience: the balance mod and its presentation video
    Last but not least, check out the Battlefield.com/AoW3 the community website for AoW3

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.