Can we see the max hexsize of a city, when founding one?

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Can we see the max hexsize of a city, when founding one?

This topic contains 15 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Ricminator 5 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Ricminator

Currently when I found a city I see the hexsize of the outpost so that I can position it well around some nodes, but I don’t know whether a further off laying crypt is whithin the range of a city when it grows. Is there a way to quickly figure it out, maybe by showing the potential hexsize in a lighter color of green?

For sure I can try counting the hexes but sometimes it’s a bit difficult to determine whether two of such structures are within the borders.

Or have I missed an easy trick for that?

Usana

I would indeed like an easy trick to see the maximum range. Of course with Warlord you would have to remember that you can +1 the standard maximum range.

Ricminator

I know but that’s no problem for me, since I like that class very much.

Gyor

Its simply, the warlord tech adjusts the max size grid.

Have the starting size in green and the max size in red.

ShortBear

I like this idea. Would be a huge help to the longterm planners among us.

thebigchief

It would be nice to have that feature, but for now, this is what I do. I turn on the hex grid in the map settings in the upper right of the window. Then I use this graphic and manually count the tiles.

http://www.history-simulations.net/gollum/city-level-hexes.gif

From this post:

http://ageofwonders.com/forums/topic/heart-best-of-rare-bonus-areas/#post-43653

b0rsuk

On a related note, I would like to see the buildings present in a razed city, even if it requires a builder or settler to see them. Even if each building shows up as a question mark.

I noticed the ruined orc village on the north of last Commonwealth/Torchbearer map. It’s in a good position – very defensive, resources, etc, but it’s a mere outpost and has 0 buildings ! I felt bummed for rebuilding it and skipped it altogether on the second playthrough.

Ricminator

Are there more players who like this? Then we can add it to the compiled topics, but right now we’re with 6 persons who like it.

NuMetal

I’d like this too in some form.

There are three things that can increase the radius of a city though:
    1. Warlord spell
    2. Stone Walls
    3. Planetarium

So I am not sure how to visualize all this, but I’d definitely like at least a simple depiction of the fully grown city size.

Dr_K

Going off of the previously mentioned idea of color coding initial domain and the fully grown domain radius. You could just add an extra band of yellow (or some other color) for the last two hexes that you can get with the stone wall and the observatory.

So, the the initial outpost radius would be radius 2 in green, with an annulus with a radius of 4 red hexes beyond that one, and then another yellow one of 2 hexes for the additional buildings (ignoring the warlord spell).

NuMetal

Going off of the previously mentioned idea of color coding initial domain and the fully grown domain radius. You could just add an extra band of yellow (or some other color) for the last two hexes that you can get with the stone wall and the observatory.
    So, the the initial outpost radius would be radius 2 in green, with an annulus with a radius of 4 red hexes beyond that one, and then another yellow one of 2 hexes for the additional buildings (ignoring the warlord spell).

+1 Perfect!

Taykor

It would be nice, of course.

SwirlyBlue

I would also like this feature, though as an optional toggle so people who don’t want it don’t have to use it.

apopov

been asking for this feature for a while now. +1 to request

williamames3

+1 would be helpful

Ricminator

Well I created a topic for it, since we are now with enough people who like it.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.