Character Limits for Character Names

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Character Limits for Character Names

This topic contains 11 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Aennor 4 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Varwulf

I remember when the game first came out and the first character I attempted to make as a custom leader couldn’t be made exactly how I wished because of the 10 character limit on the name of the character.

And there is a 15 character limit on the last name as well. This seems slightly more reasonable than the 10 character limit for the first name, but still is somewhat limited.

In any case, because of this limitation, my character doesn’t fit into the game quite so seamlessly, when I meet her as an AI faction I get a message telling me “You meet [half the character’s name] because I use the other half of her name as her last name, which also prevents me from giving her a title/last name.

In any case, is there any hope of seeing this changed? Perhaps 15 character limit for “name” and 20 character limit for “last/nick name”? I would certainly appreciate it.

Ricminator

Is it possible to enlarge the characterlimit for forged items as well? When I forge an item I have sometimes a nice name for it, but it won’t fit.

Rabiator

Yep … there are magic items with a super long but nice name in the game, but you arent allowed to make an equally awesome one …

On that topic it would be nice to have the ability to “save” the template for a magic item … at least within one map.

Varwulf

Yep … there are magic items with a super long but nice name in the game, but you arent allowed to make an equally awesome one …

On that topic it would be nice to have the ability to “save” the template for a magic item … at least within one map.

Oh, I thought the same thing about the save template many times 🙂 I’ll sometimes have one city dedicated to mass producing a specific item repeatedly because I don’t want to accidentally get something wrong if I try to repeat it and produce it elsewhere lol

Stormwind

I know it may seem trivial to many, but I would like it as well.

One thing I liked to do in shadow magic was to name an item after the character I intended to give it to. Item creation could take several turns, and when it was finished I might forget who I had in mind for it, and why. But if was named “Ulysses’s Fire Helm” then I know where it goes. I could do this in Shadow Magic. Cannot do it here.

Bluemagic

+1.
    I would appreciate more characters for creating new leaders too.
    And the game can handle longer leader names, as some of the predefined leaders have longer names e.g “Sundren aus dem Hause Inioch”, which is much more than the allowed 10 characters for custom leaders…
    (see this picture)

edit: I posted this in the Gameplay Suggestion: Compiled Topics Index thread, I hope this is ok 🙂

TheSpeaker

+1

I would love this. Please can we have this, Triumph? Please?
    So often I realise that I’ve created an incredible leader who is literally just 2 or 3 characters away from having an equally incredible name 🙁

Leon Feargus

I made the same request during beta.
    There were some difficulties with fitting longer names into some popups, but I still don’t understand why custom leaders and items can have longer names without drawbacks.

smeagolheart

+1 for this.

You can’t make Conan the Barbarian. It’s too long. That’s a common name! You gotta be able to fit conan the barbarian type names in there!

BertHunter

Please, can this be fixed with a future patch?

This character limit is very hefty – almost all good fantasy/medieval names do not fit in the name box for heroes/items/cities, at least in my language!

Was really surprised to see this low character limits in 2014 🙂

Gloweye

+1

You can’t make Conan the Barbarian. It’s too long. That’s a common name! You gotta be able to fit conan the barbarian type names in there!

yay! Discworld!

Aennor

Where is my Sylthaniellys Fielstymarthynordel? Character limits.
    Agreed, there something should be done

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.