Dev Suggestion: storied world

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Dev Suggestion: storied world

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Draxynnic 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Jedbeans

Hi I throughly enjoy this game.

My suggestion is to increase internal the story of each map like Dwarf Fortress.
    Under the unit description, instead of the flavour text found in the game manual:
    1) list the units home city or orgin
    2) list the enemies defeated in battle
    3) bestow the unit with a special random title based on the enemies defeated at Champion experience level. For instance, 2nd firstborn regiment of Hidaron killers of dragons.
    4) allow the players to take the bodies of slain heroes and champion level unit standards to bury them or display them as trophies.

Also, campaigns with mutiple missions are unnecessary and tedious in this game. Just have large maps. The time it takes to win a large map is equivalent to the average campaign of any other game. Let the player choose a session map based on the race and class and then make up a story for that map.

Hiliadan

I like your ideas 1) to 4), that would indeed be fun to have such functions and increase our emotional links to our troops.

Check out the Wiki for a lot of very good data about AoW3!
    What you really need to improve your AoW3 experience: the balance mod and its presentation video
    Last but not least, check out the Battlefield.com/AoW3 the community website for AoW3

Draxynnic

Also, campaigns with mutiple missions are unnecessary and tedious in this game. Just have large maps. The time it takes to win a large map is equivalent to the average campaign of any other game. Let the player choose a session map based on the race and class and then make up a story for that map.

I’m inclined to disagree.

Partly because there are limits on just how large the map can be made.

Partly because having separate maps allows the campaign to tell a story that involves travelling over a wide area. Containing the story into a single megamap essentially means that all of the events have to occur within a contiguous region.

And partly because having separate maps allows different chapters to pose different challenges, requiring the player to make use of different resources to overcome those challenges. In a single-map campaign, after the first chapter, you’ll always have the cities and armies of the first chapter to fall back on.

Now, none of this says that you can’t have intricate self-contained stories set within a single map, with new areas of the map becoming accessible as you complete chapters of the story. However, I think there is a place for multiple-scenario campaigns as well.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.