Exploits/Bugs

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Exploits/Bugs

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  ffbj 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

ffbj

Where to report them? For one they are not critical but neither do I know if they have already been reported.

Gloweye

This forum is a good place to start.

ffbj

Ok. Well why is it that once a fortress is breached I can run out a gate and have a unit 2 hexes away turn around and ride all the way across to the other side of the fortress, instead of merely opening the gate and cutting me down, or at least smashing the gate from the inside. In a particular battle I defeated 5 knights with priest (champion) and a rogue, I lost the rogue, he go too cute. So that needs to be fixed.

The other is reminiscent of the old icy bridge problem. I threw freeze water under a bridge and afterwords, after the ice melted I could not swim past it upriver with any swimming/sailing units.
    Thanks.

Gloweye

well, first is just an AI exploit. There’s more, and not all of them can be fixed. It’s not really possible to tell it when to go for the gate and when not to.

ffbj

Correct I said it was an exploit, an easily solvable one too, just instruct the AI to smash through a gate no matter if it inside the fortress or outside, if it is closest path to the enemy. Your comment does not fully appreciate what I am getting at. If there is not any other way to get at an enemy then you must break the gate. Later after the gate has been busted the AI acts as if it is the only way to get to the enemy, through the only broken gate, which is an oversight in programming and should be remedied, and allows for the exploit.

The icy bridge problem related problem is a bug.

Gloweye

Correct I said it was an exploit, an easily solvable one too, just instruct the AI to smash through a gate no matter if it inside the fortress or outside, if it is closest path to the enemy. Your comment does not fully appreciate what I am getting at. If there is not any other way to get at an enemy then you must break the gate. Later after the gate has been busted the AI acts as if it is the only way to get to the enemy, through the only broken gate, which is an oversight in programming and should be remedied, and allows for the exploit.

Not that simple. There’s many situations where smashing the gate is the wrong option, like if he outnumbers you. It might be a good plan to leave half for the gate at half damage range, and send the rest around to flank you. Better than waiting in line under heavy archer fire.

There is no one solution for seemingly similar situations.

This specific case, note that it sees units as a kind of obstacles. Since it would have to wait for the one knight busting up the gate, the others will try and find another way. This is the general solution that I honestly believe is the best compromise.

Do not expect AI’s to be as smart as humans.

Yeah, the other one’s a bug. I think the right dev should be in office tomorrow.

ffbj

It is quite simple to fix and it is a bad exploit, if you just have gates open from the inside for all forces, that would work. If not that you still have a pathing problem where the AI will choose a path 10-20 times as long to get to it’s target, allowing the exploit. Maybe I will do a video, and post it up, thanks for taking a look.

One more time a blow by blow description. Take a priest vs. 2 knights, fortress of stone or wood, priest defending.
    Round 1-Round 3: Priest waits and fires off a bolts from the wall.
    Round 4-… Priest retreats all the way across the compound, to a just inside the gate.
    knights charge across the compound, and priest steps outside the fort. At this point the knights could be as close as 3 or 4 hexes away from their target and yet they will retreat all the way across the compound and come all the way around the fortress to attack the priest, who simply hops back inside and shoots them.
    Wash rinse repeat.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  ffbj. Reason: I can't spell

ffbj

Thanks again Gloweye for taking the time to respond. You posted:
    “This specific case, note that it sees units as a kind of obstacles. Since it would have to wait for the one knight busting up the gate, the others will try and find another way. This is the general solution that I honestly believe is the best compromise.”

I have no problem with that. Actually I thought of a way to help with that specific stacking problem, as I refer to it, but that is not really addressing the exploit I am trying to explain. For one I am not talking about a balanced offense/defense where some knights are under fire from archers on the walls, I am talking about an incredibly weak force defeating a much stronger one. Sure the knights will run off to smash another gate, but once the original one is broken they will all rush to that breach, another bad idea, and view it solely as the only way in and out of the fortress.

There are other ways to address pathing/attack decisions, say through distance if statements. It could be something like if distance to breach is greater than x + sr (small random number) then continue to smash gate or possibly wall if it’s wood, or whatever I am doing. In other words ignore the breach. Instead no matter where they are, and since they may have run around the compound some distance they see the newly opened breach as the only one, and apparently the only possible breach ever. Therefore at this point you can play the AI like a harp, since all attackers use the only breach. This presumes no flyers/floaters or wall climbers/passers. It’s like ok the fortress is breached close all brackets, compile, done. Nope.
    In the city defense I have noticed that the AI treats walls and gates better, though similar exploits can be used but they aren’t nearly as devastating and effective.

There are other things I would do with AI attacking walls/forts, but this one is so bad and so basic I thought I should point it out.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.