Full Story Summary?

Home Forums Age of Wonders Classics Discussions Full Story Summary?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Fizzbitch 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

tytgamer

hello, im sorry to ask for something really big, but i wish i could find a place to read the whole story of what happens in aow1, 2 and SM, because i didn´t played the last two and with the third game in the corner i dont want to.
    im really confused with the story so if someone knows where i could read a summary i would be very happy, thanks and excuse my bad english.

nnavrY

Hello !

AoW 1 (Story (= scenarios) + Timeline) :
    http://aow2.heavengames.com/gameinfo/story/aow1story.shtml
    http://aow2.heavengames.com/gameinfo/story/aow1timeline.shtml

At this point, the AoW1 campaign starts. It’s actually a non-linear path with multiple endings and choices along the way. You either play with the keepers or the cult of storms. Depending on whatever side you chose, you kill the queen and play with the goblins or help the halflings (1/3 of the game), you then team up with the orcs, lizardmen or dwarves and encounter the frostlings. Then you either team up with the undead or dark elves if you chose the cult of storms. Otherwise you can choose between the elves or the highmen. Some of the things I write may not be correct but it’s been a long time since I played the campaigns and haven’t tried all the possibilities. You end up in the valley of wonders for a final fight.

The way I explain the campaign is horrible at best and I am not doing it justice. I think it was really good and even if AoW 3 is around the corner, you should definitely try it out. It’s not just team up with people and kill stuff. There is a story with each mission, some lore and interesting stuff (the queen assassination, helping the dwarves trapped under the mountains, getting through unicorn valley, march towards the undead, going to the hall of heroes, following one path and being deceived, etc).

AoW 2 (Story) :
    http://aow2.heavengames.com/gameinfo/story/index.shtml

Then AoW2’s campaign but I didn’t play it. I haven’t played AoW 2 much and wasn’t a fan of it. I wanted to try it some while back but now I’m on Mac and haven’t tried to make it work. Maybe someone else can give you a better answer.

tytgamer

thanks 😀

Thariorn

In AoW 2 Merlin sets out to calm the force sof magic which threaten to ravage the whole continent.

This ends in Merlin destroying the Wizard’s Throne, weakening the overall use of magic by wizards.

In Age of Wonders Shadow Magic, which plays like another 1000 years after 2, rifts to another dimension/world open up.
    The Shadow Demons from the Shadow Realms wre an insectlike hivemind species, searching for food.
    They corrupt the midn of the leader of the humans(and other species) to make those send their own kin into the Shadow Realms.

This ends with Merlin closing the Shadow Gates, sacrificing pretty much all sources of magic/blocking their currents. Before the Gates close, Meandor and a buttload of ‘important’ wizards depart into the Shadow Realms to eradicate the Shadow Demons with the help of the Archons, the Syrons (Who were the SDs slave race) and a huge bunch of Dark Elves.
    Merlin gets executed (Or does he?) for what he did by Queen Julia.

The Story of AoW 3 starts.
    Julia falls in love with a Dark Elven Warlord.
    They unite the elven race with the Mending (Some sort of public view bedding ceremony (You can’t fool me Triumph, that wasn’t a simple kiss)) and restore the Elven Court.
    The other races, whcih were highly dependant on magic (to water their fields, warm their lands, etc.) joined up in the Commonwealth.

Commonwealth starts to discrimante certain races by favoring humans.
    Some races disappear from Athla (Tigrans, Halfings, Nomads) or are driven away (Frostlings into the north of the most northern north).
    Commonwealth (Aka Humans) get greedy again, want to rule over Athla.
    Elven Court says no.
    Campaign story starts.

Pretty much like this.

No Mod, but I try to help - Bane of Cockatrice, a Star and an Onion.

Note that in Age of Wonders 1, it was actually possible for a starting Good player to side with the Undead, and for a starting Evil player to side with the High Men.

The latter in particular was my favourite of the possible stories, playing against type and resulting in some highly interesting misunderstandings and clashing world-views between your hero and your allies. I loved how the hero remained convinced that the High Men were secretly evil, genocidal bastards just like him, but just had really good PR to hide it. Thing is: I can’t say for sure the evil hero was -wrong- about this either.

But the “canonical” ending of Age of Wonders 1 is the one where the player sides with Julia and the Elves, and basically maintains the status quo.

I honestly never really understood how the AoW1 story tied in to AoW 2. Suddenly there are godlike wizards all over the place and Merlin is in it? Eh, meh. I much preferred the AoW1 story, Tolkienesque in a good way. Though the Shadow Magic story was more interesting.

nnavrY

Thank you thariorn and Iguana-on-a-stick for a more complete answer. I too thought there was a gap between the AoW1 story and AoW2 story which I couldn’t and didn’t want to give meaning to. To my mind, it is much easier to see AoW2 as a story taking place in a parallel universe from the story of AoW1.

Though I really like the Highmen because of their clean looking units with average/solid stats/movepoints, I didn’t like the way they thought humans deserved this and that. There are a lot of races in AoW and many suffered a lot. Humans rapidly become an arrogant conquering race in AoW and I would have much preferred the Highmen be there to bring balance to the races and not help humanity like they deserved to rule the future of the continent/planet.

Well, I thought that was what made them interesting.

The Highmen had all the trappings of the holy good guys, but they were zealots. They were enforcing the dictates of their beliefs, and they weren’t much concerned with creating a nice world for others to live in.

Julia was the one who would bring balance to the races. It’s no coincidence that the only happy ending in the story you linked to above is the one where the player sides with her. The others range from bitter-sweet to utter horror.

I wonder what route they’ll take with the High Elves in AoW3. They’d be even more about the balance, like Inioch was, I presume. I’m not sure if this was addressed in any of the dev diaries… hm.

Thariorn

The great aim of the High Men/Archons (They’re the same) is to have Humans ‘evolve’ till they’re as pure and good as themselve.
    The High Men/Archons are a race which travles from World to World (Literally worlds/dimensions) to nurture humans till they’re ready to join their ranks to fight evil (In the former games the Undead and the Shadow Demons).

I guess that’s why they do not care if humans discriminate other races as long as it seems like humanity is evolving towards the Archon ideals ‘Puryfing and exterminating evil’.

I best to not spoiler anything related to the AoW 3 story ;P

No Mod, but I try to help - Bane of Cockatrice, a Star and an Onion.

Yeah, I read that. And from the High Men perspective I don’t doubt it’s true.

I just don’t think the Halflings or Dwarfs or Frostlings would really agree that being unilaterally evicted from their homes (Or killed? What happens to the other races that disappear when the High Men take over?) constitutes “pure good.”

The High Men operate on a different plane. They’re concerned with transcendent truths and multi-world battles of good and evil that aren’t even visible to races living on this one. It’s hard to tell whether they’re right or wrong. It’s quite possible that without their efforts all the worlds would be eaten by shadow demons and the like and so what they do is justified. But whichever way you turn it, they’re not terribly pleasant.

Despyria

Note that in Age of Wonders 1, it was actually possible for a starting Good player to side with the Undead, and for a starting Evil player to side with the High Men.

The latter in particular was my favourite of the possible stories, playing against type and resulting in some highly interesting misunderstandings and clashing world-views between your hero and your allies. I loved how the hero remained convinced that the High Men were secretly evil, genocidal bastards just like him, but just had really good PR to hide it. Thing is: I can’t say for sure the evil hero was -wrong- about this either.

But the “canonical” ending of Age of Wonders 1 is the one where the player sides with Julia and the Elves, and basically maintains the status quo.

I honestly never really understood how the AoW1 story tied in to AoW 2. Suddenly there are godlike wizards all over the place and Merlin is in it? Eh, meh. I much preferred the AoW1 story, Tolkienesque in a good way. Though the Shadow Magic story was more interesting.

Second that. II wasn’t that fun for me. SM was interesting but a much more linear experience than AOW. I also agree that Evil to Good is the most interesting story… though when I first did it I was teetering toward the neutral. I always thought II would have served better as an expanded story off of the 6 stories that ended AoW… I don’t think I ever managed the pure evil or the pure good endings.

Morty

I admit I was a bit confused about how it all tied together as well, so those explanations help a lot. It seems to basically go like this: a great war in AoW 1 caused by the humans’ arrival, then the Wizards of Evermore show up and wreck things with their incredible power, then the Shadow Demons show up and the Wizards eventually leave to fight them, their magic vanishing. Fast forward a thousand years to Day One in AoW 3.

Fizzbitch

Is there any indication (or is it an idea) that they can publish the entire story/background as a book (or digitally)?

The lore simply is quite vast, but few is in the actual games, which I think is a real shame.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.