GoG users and Triumph, please take note of the good news!

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions GoG users and Triumph, please take note of the good news!

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Jolly Joker 3 weeks, 2 days ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Jolly Joker

I wrote to GoG support with a view on the current patch dilemma, and I got an answer which should be quite interesting for both GoG users and Triumph as well (if they don’t know already).

Users of GoG Galaxy (I usually don’t, but have it installed anyway) CAN actually rollback to any desired version (of ANY GoG game). Simply open Galaxy, select the game, and click on More -> Settings. Here disable automatic updates, and manually select the game version that you wish to use.
    You will have to checkmark all DLCs separately, but I tried it, and I’m actually back to the 2nd 1.800 version (the one with the additional PBEM patch), and I verified that the package manager works again and all. 🙂

So this Galaxy feature is working fine.

There might be possible ramifications for Triumph as well: with Rollback being possible, “beta branches” would seem to be possible on Galaxy as well. I have no idea about whether it is possible the other way round (that you can put up “beta patches” as a dev that will NOT be used for automatical updates), but I could imagine that this feature is available or will be (for the next game).

Hiliadan

Nice, good info, thanks! I’ll try that soon (I updated to 1.801 through GoG Galaxy).

The AoW3 Wiki, including a video library!
    Improve AoW3 with the balance mod (presentation video)
    The Battlefield.com/AoW3 the community website for AoW3

SikBok
    Keymaster

Users of GoG Galaxy (I usually don’t, but have it installed anyway) CAN actually rollback to any desired version (of ANY GoG game).

That’s pretty cool.

Do note that the game might not elegantly support rolling back. It might break save games, mods you are working on, etc. Its not something we test for.

There might be possible ramifications for Triumph as well: with Rollback being possible, “beta branches” would seem to be possible on Galaxy as well. I have no idea about whether it is possible the other way round (that you can put up “beta patches” as a dev that will NOT be used for automatical updates), but I could imagine that this feature is available or will be (for the next game).

Unfortunately it does not. At least not how we do things now.

We need ways to quickly iterate on build ourselves. There’s plenty up updates on Steam only devs ever see, because we find problem we fix them and then we put a new build on Steam.
    Then we have to be able to put builds live ourselves. This way we can time closed beta, open beta and public releases. So we can also keep iterations in beta rolling at a pace
    that suits development.

There might be nifty stuff in GoG Galaxy for devs that would help us doing this on GoG as we do on Steam now, but there would still be considerable overhead getting beta builds up on both platforms, testing them and keeping them in sync. Time we’d rather spend fixing more bugs. Sorry.

Jolly Joker

I suppose this patch was a very special case, because it killed such an important functionality (for some) while fixing in relation to that very little.

Rollback just offered the option to go back.

In reality this will be a feature rarely needed in a game that is so eminently moddable, because if a patch does contain something you don’t like, you’ll probably be able to mod that specific thing back into the game.

What MIGHT change with Galaxy – imo – is that you may allow patches earlier for GoG GALAXY users (that is, galaxy users getting the patch, while non-users wouldn’t have the option), because in case the patch would be flawed, they could go back quite effortless.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.