Old retail version compatible with the steam version?

Home Forums Age of Wonders Classics Discussions Old retail version compatible with the steam version?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  arminius85 2 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

I’ll start by saying that Age of wonders:Shadow magic is one of my favourite Strategy games out there and the only reason I haven’t gotten AOW3 is because my computer doesn’t meet the recommended specs for the game, which is a darn shame because im a big fan of the Age of wonders series and probably wont be getting a computer that can run AOW3 for a really long time.

Now onto the problem im having.
    A friend of mine recently got the steam version of the game and he knows I have it on CD, so he asked me to install it and play with him, after I installed it we tried to connect online with our IPs and then hamachi but neither worked. So we checked our version numbers and he has version 1.30.0.2616, but I had a much lower version number(which I didnt memorize because it didnt seem important sense I was going to update immediately). After I got a patch online from AOW2 Heaven that only said “patch 1.30” I figured I had updated to the same patch as him, but it turns out I updated to version 1.30.0.2614. After that we both got the unofficial 1.4 patch also from AOW2 Heaven but that only adds “Upatch 1.4” in front of the current version number we already had. So now my game version says “Upatch 1.4 / Version 1.30.0.2614” while his says “Upatch 1.4 / Version 1.30.0.2616”.

I tried looking around for a patch that will update me to 1.30.0.2616 but cant for the life of me find it. All I have found is websites asking me if I want to buy the game again, which I don’t because I already own it. Does anyone know where I can get a patch to update to 1.30.0.2616? Id really like to know of a solution or a work around to my problem because iv only ever played shadow magic by my self. Not having had internet when I got the game I only played campaign and against computer opponents but now I have highspeed internet and would like to play with my friend.

Thariorn

Did you try to connect to your friend after installing the Upatch 1.4?

No Mod, but I try to help - Bane of Cockatrice, a Star and an Onion.

Did you try to connect to your friend after installing the Upatch 1.4?

Yes and it still didnt work.

Thariorn

Can you find a newer Age of Wonders Shadow Magic Patch than 1.30.0.2616 to which both of you could patch up to?

I’d guess his newer version is due Steamworks.

Alternatively, can you friend change his AoW:SM version in Steam?

(Somehwere like this?)
    http://puu.sh/9XG9W/2afaebdda3.jpg

I dont think there is a newer version of the patch then 1.30.0.2614 thats available online, if there is a newer patch then that then I cant find it any where and I have looked at every search result on Google’s first 3 pages of results , around 10 different websites(most sites are just links to buying the game online or a patch to version “1.30” which only turned out to be 1.30.0.2614 which I already updated to) and after that all the websites start to be chinese websites, which are no help at all.

Yeah, im thinking that 1.30.0.2616 is a steam only version of the game, but maybe not. If anyone reading this has got the GOG version could they let me know what its exact version number is?

My friend did ask if its possible to downdate(if thats the word for it) but I don’t know, iv never heard of getting a patch for a lower version of a game before. How would someone go about lowering the version to an older one?

Thariorn

My friend did ask if its possible to downdate(if thats the word for it) but I don’t know, iv never heard of getting a patch for a lower version of a game before. How would someone go about lowering the version to an older one?

Some games are built/developed with a ‘manager’ to ‘skip’ the manual downgrade (Which usually is the only way to downdate/-grade).

UPDATE:

Just downloaded my GoG.com version GoG version.
    The GoG.com version of Age of Wonders Shadow Magic is 1.30.0.2616!

Even GoG has version 1.30.0.2616? Im getting seriously POed with all this. Why in the heck would every version besides the one I found be 1.30.0.2616. I got “the official 1.30 patch” which isent even the latest patch(thanks AOW2 Heaven for lying to me, or at the very least not caring enough to update their page to indicate they no longer have the latest patch).

My friend went looking through the steam options for AoW:SM and didnt find any option to get an older version of the game and when he tried to get the patch that i did to lower is version to 1.30.0.2614 it didnt work, i didnt get the specifics but i think like you said the game knows hes got a more recent patch so it wont let him get an older one so I dont think him down-grading is an option here.

I found a website that has “The Age of Wonders collection”, the collection(which is on CDs and was selling for 20$) comes with AoW 1, 2 and Shadow Magic(version 1.30.0.2616). The collection is no different then the trilogy pack on steam, and im not getting either because im not buying the whole game again even if it would work.

I just cant figure out why theres no patch to get my version up to the same as my friends version and its honestly making me so mad I dont even really want to play SM any more. Iv been trying to get this to work for about 3 days now with absolutely no success and with my crappy mentality/attitude thats more then enough days to quit after.

I have to admit when I made this topic I was really hoping a developer of the game would see it and post a link or a file to patch 1.30.0.2616, but I should have known it was not going to happen like that, like the developers care if a single customer has problems.

Thanks for trying to help though Thariorn, you’ve done a lot more then anyone else on any of the other sites iv been asking for help on.

Im just going to go uninstall SM now because when ever I think about it I just get mad.

In the words of the great William Shakespeare “Phuck it”(and the mods can ban me for implied swearing or what ever they want if they want to, I couldn’t care less right now).

Sorry for the long post/rant. Cya later and thanks again for the trying to help Thariorn.

Thariorn

I have to admit when I made this topic I was really hoping a developer of the game would see it and post a link or a file to patch 1.30.0.2616, but I should have known it was not going to happen like that, like the developers care if a single customer has problems.

Well, the Off-Topic subforum isn’t frequented often by the Devs, that’s true.

But overall they care.

Don’t get me wrong here.
    It sure as hell would be kewl if the Devs showed more love for their past work, but as AoW III is progressing they do not really have the ressources to do so (They’re like 15 people inlcuding non-paid mods).

Uhm, if you want to I could link you to my humblebundle page which has the AoW classics and Divinity (Don’t worry, the Steam keys are claimed ^^).
    Seeing as you own the game (if you’d pirated it in the first place there’s no way you had gotten an image of the old CD based on hits and actuallity) I kinda feel like enabling you to play it to your full extent.

I do not know which version the humblebundle direct download offers, but IF it isn’t 1.30.0.2616 you could give the doqnloadlink to your freind to. Id trust you to not spread it openly though!
    –> Welp, that’s 1.30.0.2616 too!

As I do not want to share my humblebundlelink to the whole internet, you could add me in Skype if you’re interested.
    My Skype-ID is karamelbaer

If You could share that download link to me I would be really appreciative, ill add you on Skype when im done typing this. My Skype name is Timothy John Geddes(just writing this so you can clearly see my two different account names together so you can be sure the person adding you on Skype is really me).

arminius85

I was thinking the same thing. I’ve bought AoW2 and SM before Steam even existed. Would it be possible to enter some code to get ‘recognision’ in Steam? I’m not interested in buying it again. Either way, I’m happy playing AoW3 and AoW:SM singleplayer if I want to.

@TS: if you email Triumph Studios explaining your situation, maybe they can arrange a Steam key for you so you can play with your friend.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.