Shadow Realm – alpha tests

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Modding and Map Making Shadow Realm – alpha tests

This topic contains 229 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Bob5 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 230 total)
  • Author

Hiliadan

[11:33:57][ERROR]Couldn’t parse decodentabilities@decodence and theme in rmg@charlatan
    [11:33:59][ERROR]Couldn’t parse decodentabilities@structures in rmg@gloweye

That’s a localization issue on Decodence, I don’t think we can fix it without Charlatan, right? @gloweye

[11:37:13][ERROR][HUD_CityEnchantments][HUD_CityEnchantments]SETWINDOWVAREIC failed! Can’t find named window!
    [11:37:13][ERROR][HUD_CityEnchantments][HUD_CityEnchantments]SETWINDOWVAREIC failed! Can’t find named window!
    [11:37:13][ERROR][HUD_EventScreen][HUD_EventScreen]SETWINDOWVAREIC failed! Can’t find named window!
    [11:37:13][ERROR][HUD_EventScreen][HUD_EventScreen]SETWINDOWVAREIC failed! Can’t find named window!
    [11:37:13][ERROR][HUD_ResearchScreen][HUD_ResearchScreen]SETWINDOWVAREIC failed! Can’t find named window!
    [11:37:13][ERROR][HUD_ResearchScreen][HUD_ResearchScreen]SETWINDOWVAREIC failed! Can’t find named window!
    [11:37:17][ERROR]Failed to find a good look position
    [11:37:24][ERROR]Failed to find a good look position
    [11:43:21][ERROR][HUD_CityEnchantments][HUD_CityEnchantments]SETWINDOWVAREIC failed! Can’t find named window!
    [11:43:21][ERROR][HUD_CityEnchantments][HUD_CityEnchantments]SETWINDOWVAREIC failed! Can’t find named window!
    [11:43:21][ERROR][HUD_EventScreen][HUD_EventScreen]SETWINDOWVAREIC failed! Can’t find named window!
    [11:43:21][ERROR][HUD_EventScreen][HUD_EventScreen]SETWINDOWVAREIC failed! Can’t find named window!
    [11:43:21][ERROR][HUD_ResearchScreen][HUD_ResearchScreen]SETWINDOWVAREIC failed! Can’t find named window!
    [11:43:21][ERROR][HUD_ResearchScreen][HUD_ResearchScreen]SETWINDOWVAREIC failed! Can’t find named window!
    [11:43:34][ERROR][HUD_EmptyTopBar][HUD_EmptyTopBar]SETWINDOWVAREIC failed! Can’t find named window!
    [11:43:34][ERROR][HUD_EmptyTopBar][HUD_EmptyTopBar]SETWINDOWVAREIC failed! Can’t find named window!

All the HUD stuff are not critical and I believe they are not linked to the SR expansion.

I updated the list of known issues: http://aow.triumph.net/forums/topic/shadow-realm-alpha-tests/#post-258272

Gloweye

That’s a localization issue on Decodence, I don’t think we can fix it without Charlatan, right? @gloweye

We probably can, actually. We can put a localization xml with the same name and first field into our mod and fix it that way.

All the HUD stuff are not critical and I believe they are not linked to the SR expansion.

Actually…they probably are. Because there might be a couple sites misconfigured for their combat enchantments, or things like that. We should investigate them.

Hiliadan

Ok maybe for the HUD but I also get a lot of them (and the same as those listed here) in my normal games.

But anyway the sites are not done at all in terms of battle enchantments, so for now we can only wait for Dr_K to have time to implement them (he said he could work on that soon).

Hiliadan

@gloweye: did you have the opportunity to look into this? It’s a weird issue, not sure what’s happening.

– there is a zoom issue in the SR. The zoom is weird by default but if you zoom in, it goes below the floor of the map, see screenshot: https://www.my-league.com/games/273/downloads/screens/47398/273/151578090720180113_zoom-bug-on-SR.jpg When not playing in debug mode, this zoom bug in the Shadow Realm layer causes a crash to the game. Especially in a high graphics setting.

It happened to me in our test game and I was playing in debug mode: the game still crashed.

Also I saw a Great Farm spawned on the SR. Maybe it was a placeholder for a new site? If not, should not be here.

• This reply was modified 9 months, 3 weeks ago by  Hiliadan.

Gloweye

Also I saw a Great Farm spawned on the SR. Maybe it was a placeholder for a new site? If not, should not be here.

They didn’t in my few last tests. I’ll have another look at it.

As for the zoom, i’ll go try it myself. No clue what could do that, tho.

Dr_K

But anyway the sites are not done at all in terms of battle enchantments, so for now we can only wait for Dr_K to have time to implement them (he said he could work on that soon).

I’ve “finished” the Forgotten throne, beacon of light, and hollow grove enchantments. The warband camp should also have the correct unit sets for defenders/rewards.

Before testing them, I managed to corrupt my test map by adding more forgotten thrones to it. There was something wrong with a few of the forgotten throne variations that I ended up saving. I think it had to do with some of them not having a terrain defined, which I fixed and they seem to not break any more.

So the changes theoretically work, but I’m unsure if they are actually finished. I’ll recreate it tomorrow evening and actually test these changes.

• This reply was modified 9 months, 2 weeks ago by  Dr_K.

Hiliadan

I’ve “finished” the Forgotten throne, beacon of light, and hollow grove enchantments. The warband camp should also have the correct unit sets for defenders/rewards.

Very good news, thanks! 🙂
    If you want a small break before continuing with the remaining sites (Celestial Pool, etc.), don’t hesitate to have a look at the current list of issues: http://aow.triumph.net/forums/topic/shadow-realm-alpha-tests/#post-258272 😛
    Some are probably easier to fix than others (e.g. the High Elf rewards for Quests of SE cities should be relatively simple).

Gloweye

Note: Any changes to defenders of exsisting sites won’t happen with maps already created. And the same might be true for adventure/reward sets.

Dr_K

Some are probably easier to fix than others (e.g. the High Elf rewards for Quests of SE cities should be relatively simple).

I remember why I didn’t do that while creating the race originally. There is A LOT of copy & paste/find & replace involved. Easy but time consuming. 😀

I’ve done a bunch of the necessary work to get the quests working and uploaded it. I think there are other places I need to link the quests properly, but the actual quest/reward entries have been created for the shadow elves.

Hiliadan

A visual issue which would be nice to work on:
    – Shadow Gates are hard to see on Volcanic climate.

Refineus

It may have been told before. A small notice when playing inside shadow realms.

– Draconians like shadow realm and shadow elves does not.

Gloweye

I remember why I didn’t do that while creating the race originally. There is A LOT of copy & paste/find & replace involved.

Bad thing is, it’s the kind of thing you forget later on 🙂

Shadow Gates are hard to see on Volcanic climate.

Can we create particle effects ? A few purple/blue particles floating around it could perhaps work a bit…

Hiliadan

Can we create particle effects ? A few purple/blue particles floating around it could perhaps work a bit…

Yes I think it should not be too hard, I’ll check with Bob to see if he can help with that. 🙂

Hiliadan

Two more:
    – Vulnerable to Shadow Sickness displayed for Undeads (Reanimators, Lost Souls) whereas it shouldn’t. They should have Shadow Walker.
    – isolated road triangles are generated in the Shadow Realm, cf. screenshot: https://www.my-league.com/games/273/downloads/screens/47398/273/152041668120180307_2nd-alpha-test_turn4_Shadow-Realm-void.jpg

I updated the summary: http://aow.triumph.net/forums/topic/shadow-realm-alpha-tests/#post-258272

• This reply was modified 9 months, 1 week ago by  Hiliadan.

Refineus

– This zoom bug in the shadow realm layer causes a crash to the game. Especially in a high graphics setting. It crashes and then corrupts the PBEM game, in debug mode I could play my turn again from the same game.

I just tried once more too see if the same problem occurs in “Shadow Realm”. And.. yes it still there and it crashes… It fills log with a shader problem?. I will put in the logs and more related to alpha test in Dropbox folder named “Logs”.

[00:09:45][ERROR]AllocateShader failed[ERROR]AllocateShader failed[ERROR]AllocateShader failed[ERROR]AllocateShader failed[ERROR]AllocateShader failed[ERROR]AllocateShader failed[ERROR]Assertion failed: “false”

…and 200+ “ShaderErrors”

[00:10:10]Message: Meandor’s name be praised! The game just crashed. A mini dump file was created
    [00:10:10]d:\source.aow.steam\aow\game\source\PC/MainPC.cpp(77): (click to open)
    [00:10:10]
    [00:10:10]

• This reply was modified 9 months ago by  Refineus.

Refineus

To stay ahead in campaign creation I moved the buggy first campaign mission into the “maps” folder and recreated another working shadow realm for the campaign.

This means I made the buggy shadow realm edition into a scenario instead. You can try this map for bug testing as much as you want to recreate the issue, just type a cheat to explore the map or cheat with unlimited movement points by walking to the shadow realm layer.

Search for the name: Shadow 1 with buggy Shadow Realm.sam inside the dropbox here …\AoW3-Shadow-Realm-expansion\mods\Shadow Realm\Maps

Hiliadan

I updated the recap: http://aow.triumph.net/forums/topic/shadow-realm-alpha-tests/page/1/#post-258272

– the description of the builder hall says it will create a high-elf setller/builder
    – war hall says it will allow Gryphon Spire

I will put in the logs and more related to alpha test in Dropbox folder named “Logs”.

Thanks for reporting that! 🙂 Full logs are not really useful beside the few lines related to the error, which you provided. I suggest if we are not sure which lines are useful, we attach the log to the forum instead of the Dropbox, because in the Dropbox, it’s hard to know to which error it’s linked (whereas on the forum it’s linked to a specific post) and we’ll soon have many old logs for which we forget if they’re useful or not, linked to what issue, etc.
    Also, as you can see, this issue is still listed in the recap http://aow.triumph.net/forums/topic/shadow-realm-alpha-tests/page/1/#post-258272 so it’s normal that it’s still there. As all other the things listed there (and not in the “recently fixed” or “fixed” sections), the issues have not yet been fixed.

To stay ahead in campaign creation I moved the buggy first campaign mission into the “maps” folder and recreated another working shadow realm for the campaign.

I’m really sorry to read that. Very sorry we were unable to test the issue faster.
    But I’m a bit confused though: recreating the map from scratch will probably take you a few dozen hours. Why not wait more? We WILL fix it in the end. Why not work on map #2 and #3 meanwhile?
    And it’s also very likely it will crash all the same in your new map.

• This reply was modified 9 months ago by  Hiliadan.

Gloweye

Perhaps we should contact Charlatan and ask him if he knows about that crash issue. Hiliadan, could you do that ? He’s not exactly friendly to me currently.

Hiliadan

I’d love to but I’m blocked too. 😀
    I thought the zoom was defined by layer so was done in the RMG? Maybe we should test creating a custom map, adding Shadow climate hexes on the surface and try to zoom in, see if it crashes.

Refineus

To give you more insight on the difference of shadow layers in the level editor there is actually two different shadow realms, one on the surface layer and on in a shadow realm layer. How about cloning a third surface layer and force it to spawn with shadow realm tile? If that is possible? I have no clue about RMG how it works, but I can see the difference in the level editor. This zoom bug essentially breaks the whole expansion otherwise and the map content of decodence as it stands today.

Hiliadan

For the testers, testing priorities:
    #1 – reproduce “crash with Draconians on the Shadow Realm layer on the SR on scenario map #1 of the campaign (to clarify)”, now it’s in the “Shadow 1 with buggy Shadow Realm” custom scenario (not on the campaign)
    #2 – test all the “recently fixed” stuff here: http://aow.triumph.net/forums/topic/shadow-realm-alpha-tests/#post-258272
    #3 – generate a new map and check that the new sites properly spawn (see in the Wikia the list of new sites: http://age-of-wonders-3.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Hiliadan/Shadow_Realm_Community_Expansion), have the correct defenders, rewards and battle enchantments
    #4 – pick 1 topic and test it extensively by comparing what’s on the Wikia and what’s in game. We’re not really looking for bugs, we’re looking for oversights: things that are described in the Wikia but are not in game or do not work as described

xlnt

i’ll start with #1 and move down the list

Bob5

I know it’s not the priority right now, but can you also test the PFX I added for the ‘Wrapped in Shadows’ ability? It should somewhat cloak the surrounding units in tactical by displaying dark purple effects. What I’m primarily looking for is feedback regarding whether or not the effect is subtle enough. As in, are the adjacent units still visible behind the effects? It should be somewhat cloaking them but not to an extent that it hinders gameplay for the player. Please check for both small and large units. Also, does the dark purple colour work for the effect, or should it be changed to black?

Another thing I’d like to know is whether or not Shadow Gates now display particle effects. They should be passively displaying particle effects on the strategic map. If you’ve played Portal 2, the effect is reminiscent of the Excursion Funnel from that game. I’ve never added passive particle effects to structures before, so I’m not sure yet if the effect is linked correctly to appear in-game.

Also, if you think it’s too extreme how it looks, I can create something a bit more subtle and keep this effect for an effect that only displays when units are travelling through the shadow gate and maybe speed it up or something.

• This reply was modified 9 months ago by  Bob5.

Refineus

I know it’s not the priority right now, but can you also test the PFX I added for the ‘Wrapped in Shadows’ ability? It should somewhat cloak the surrounding units in tactical by displaying dark purple effects. What I’m primarily looking for is feedback regarding whether or not the effect is subtle enough. As in, are the adjacent units still visible behind the effects? It should be somewhat cloaking them but not to an extent that it hinders gameplay for the player. Please check for both small and large units. Also, does the dark purple colour work for the effect, or should it be changed to black?.

Which unit has this ability? I think I saw this ability, I don’t remember if it was on the Umbral Weaver or something.

Bob5

I know it’s not the priority right now, but can you also test the PFX I added for the ‘Wrapped in Shadows’ ability? It should somewhat cloak the surrounding units in tactical by displaying dark purple effects. What I’m primarily looking for is feedback regarding whether or not the effect is subtle enough. As in, are the adjacent units still visible behind the effects? It should be somewhat cloaking them but not to an extent that it hinders gameplay for the player. Please check for both small and large units. Also, does the dark purple colour work for the effect, or should it be changed to black?.

Which unit has this ability? I think I saw this ability, I don’t remember if it was on the Umbral Weaver or something.

Looking on the wiki, the first one I can find is the Shadow Elf Apprentice.

marcuspers1

I did a test as a Shadow Elf WL, and the Manticore have Wrapped in Shadows ability, it looks like a pulsating purple smoke, and in my opinion it looks quite nice. Like a gas cloud.

Couldn’t find any Larva Pool, and no sites in the SR had any Shadow Demon units.

I found high level sites guarded by SE, so that is working.

Clearing a Hollow Grove gives no reward.
    The entry in the book is also incorrect, so it currently give no MCU (scrrenshot attached).

With the Forgotten (Wizard) Throne, I couldn’t see anything wrong. The defenders are very strong and the first time around I wasn’t able to clear it. I had a melee heavy army against a Horror, T4 Shock Serpent and 4 Shadow Stalkers, very strong defenders! And every turn a wisp/Will Breaker was cast, which is hard to kill, and do heavy damage. Maybe look into making the Will Breaker a summon cast every 2-3 turns with another combat (damage) spell is cast in-between. You basically fight 8-10 units towards round 2-4.

There is a few syron tombs, couldn’t find any reference to them on the wiki, they are all explored already though, so maybe they take up space from other sites?

When you have the zoom at certain levels, some teleports lose their blue/green sparkle, see attached.

• This reply was modified 9 months ago by  marcuspers1.

marcuspers1

Small update in regards to the Forgotten (Wizard) Throne.
    The Will Breaker is not as described on the wiki.
    It doesn’t have: Chaos, Inflict Break Body and Soul, Strong Will Slayer and does not lose HP each combat turn.

Also a reminder for Hiliadan that defender set 3 is significantly lower in strength than the other sets. In my test it had a combined tier strenght of 13 compared to the Shadow Stalker set that was 20 (4 SS+Horror+King Shock Serpent), actually you could argue the true value is 22 (4×3.5+4+4).

Hiliadan

Updated: http://aow.triumph.net/forums/topic/shadow-realm-alpha-tests/#post-258272

Added:
    – the Larva Pool does not spawn in the RMG
    – Holow Grove’s reward is not implemented: http://age-of-wonders-3.wikia.com/wiki/Template:Hiliadan/Hollow_Grove
    – Syron Tombs should be receive the defender sets, etc. of regular Tombs. I think the easiest would be to remove the Syron Tombs, copy regular Tombs, and let Gloweye link them again in the RMG? Also they should be displayed as “Tombs”, not “Syron Tombs”, it’s just their visuals which are different.
    – the Spirit Breaker lacks: Chaos, Inflict Break Body and Soul, Strong Will Slayer and does not lose HP each combat turn.
    – the defender set #3 of the Forgotten Throne needs to be redesigned without Dark Elves (add Frost Dragon?)
    – Hollow Grove’s Ritual Circle does not display the bonus given to units properly (cf. https://imgur.com/a/XLDN0) and maybe the MCU actually gives no bonus
    – Forgotten Thrones are called “Forgotten Wizard Throne”, should be just called “Forgotten Throne”
    – find a replacement for Warp Equipment for the Forge of Dreams (technically not feasible it seems)

EDIT:
    @gloweye: looks like the following sites are not included in the RMG: Beacon of Light, Larva Pool, Warband Campfire, Gemstone Mine, Forge of Dreams, Mithril Mine, Heart of the Shadow.

@dr_k: and looks like this has not its model properly linked: Shadow Weed (appears as a regular Haste Berries).

• This reply was modified 8 months, 4 weeks ago by  Hiliadan.

Hiliadan

So more details on a few of the issues:

– When a game is loaded, all the Shadow Elf leaders are displayed in the log through this error:
    [11:34:24][ERROR][WORLD_ACTIVATE]Cannot find Hero Figure Media Dictionary found for: Mount: MOUNT_WYVERN, Race: Shadow Elf, Class: Necromancer, Gender: 2
    [11:34:24][ERROR][WORLD_ACTIVATE]Cannot find Hero Figure Media Dictionary found for: Mount: MOUNT_WYVERN, Race: Shadow Elf, Class: Sorcerer, Gender: 1
    – when a tactical map is loaded with a SE hero, the following error is displayed (if it’s a Theocrat):
    [11:37:04][ERROR]Cannot find Hero Figure Media Dictionary found for: Mount: MOUNT_WYVERN, Race: Shadow Elf, Class: Theocrat, Gender: 1

Check the save game attached.

– when a game is loaded (even AFTER is has being generated, so on normal loads even on turn 2), the following errors are displayed:
    [11:34:24][ERROR][WORLD_ACTIVATE][SCRIPTING ERROR] Error in line number 3. Message was:
    [11:34:25][ERROR][WORLD_ACTIVATE] [string “”]:3: attempt to index field ‘STRUCT_GLOW’ (a nil value)
    [11:34:25][ERROR][WORLD_ACTIVATE] Callstack:
    [11:34:25][ERROR][WORLD_ACTIVATE] – NATIVE EventCall “OnVisitStateChanged” in [((null))]
    [11:34:25][ERROR][WORLD_ACTIVATE][SCRIPTING ERROR] Error in line number 3. Message was:
    [11:34:25][ERROR][WORLD_ACTIVATE] [string “”]:3: attempt to index field ‘STRUCT_GLOW’ (a nil value)
    [11:34:25][ERROR][WORLD_ACTIVATE] Callstack:
    [11:34:25][ERROR][WORLD_ACTIVATE] – NATIVE EventCall “OnVisitStateChanged” in [((null))]

Looks like this one corrected itself somehow.

– searching the ToW crashes due to some missing icons

More precisely, this is that:
    [ERROR][HUD_TomeOfWonders]Unit Property Tame Shadow Demon Ability invalid! No ScreenName!
    So need to add an placeholder icon for Tame Shadow Demon.

– crash with Draconians on the Shadow Realm layer on the SR on scenario map #1 of the campaign (to clarify)

This one is solved.

I update the recap with the additional details.

Dr_K

Thanks for the extra info

More precisely, this is that:
    [ERROR][HUD_TomeOfWonders]Unit Property Tame Shadow Demon Ability invalid! No ScreenName!
    So need to add an placeholder icon for Tame Shadow Demon.

Hm. Usually the screen name error means the ability was never given a value to display. Also, it usually shows up on AoW start. It might be something specific to the ToW instead.

Check the save game attached.

Not sure if I’m just totally missing it, but it doesn’t seem to be attached to any post. Forum has a post size limit of 512KB. I think it successfully submits the post, but fails to attach the file. You can just email it to me or add it to a folder in dropbox.

Looks like this one corrected itself somehow.

The best kinds of bugs 😀 Hopefully, it doesn’t come back. Updates I made to the structures might have fixed it inadvertently.

@dr_k: and looks like this has not its model properly linked: Shadow Weed (appears as a regular Haste Berries).

I’m not sure why that is, I’ll take a look. I thought that the Shadow Weed structure had the expected model displayed in the mod editor.

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 230 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.