The Depths

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

This topic contains 18 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Teehon 4 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author

I noticed that some preset maps have two underground levels. This is just great as I had missed the “depths” so much!!! But as it seems you neither can set “depths” in the random map settings nor in the map editor. Is this intended? Can this be fixed? It would make random maps so much more interesting!

NuMetal

That is a really good question!
    I am actually quite surprised that I (or anyone else for that matter) haven’t noticed this before…

vyolin

That is a really good question!<br>
    I am actually quite surprised that I (or anyone else for that matter) haven’t noticed this before…

I has been noted before. Quite often, actually. It is just that threads on this forum disappear into obscurity after half a day due to people posting about the same stuff over and over again instead of doing a proper search first.
    Apart from that, yes, depth layer option for random maps would be great. In the editor you can add as many layers as you want and name them whatever you want – nobody preventing you from creating a ‘Depths’ layer there.

Apart from that, yes, depth layer option for random maps would be great. In the editor you can add as many layers as you want and name them whatever you want – nobody preventing you from creating a ‘Depths’ layer there.

Thanks for this information! I have not used the editor much,yet , just noticed that when you create a new file there is only one checkbox “underground” and assumed “thats it”.

vyolin

Thanks for this information! I have not used the editor much,yet , just noticed that when you create a new file there is only one checkbox “underground” and assumed “thats it”.

You are welcome, sorry for my curt first reply! I assume like any other editor out there it is supposed to be powerful first and intuitive second, so confusions such as yours are to be expected.

sorry for my curt first reply!

never mind. no offense taken!

Rabenschwarz

I am reviving this thread because I would love to see the depths layer at random map games.

“The Dwarves delved too greedily and too deep…”

Me too! I have posted so in several threads about this very topic.

I would love to see the Depths/the Abyss/the Bowels of the Earth return, but with an upgrade to it
    In order not to give the underground races an unfair advantage (they now have two levels to settle in) I’d love to see it handled as its own terrain, too hostile for the Dwarves and goblins even to settle in with varying types of exotic, alien terrain like crystalline caves, ancient vaults left behind by extinct civilizations and such.
    That terrain could hold incredible riches, but also terrifyingly strong opponents (weapon systems left behind by past civilizations, sleeping Elder Gods, old an nameless things, that sort of stuff)

Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things.

Jaduggar

I would like to see deeper levels too… but only if something is done about the blandness of subterranean, first. Right now, the underground is very very repetitive.

BTW guys, in the editor, you can link as many Underground levels as you like.

Each underground entrance is technically a teleporter, just linked to go to the next level, so you can have them go to as many different levels as you like.

I think your limited to like 15 or something before the editor crashes 😛

… mine does anyway xD

Thariorn

… mine does anyway xD

Well, I can go 27 layers….empty layers mind you 😀

You can also link to surface layers as well, right? S you could make a sort of honeycomb labyrinth type thing.

Ravenholme

You can also link to surface layers as well, right? S you could make a sort of honeycomb labyrinth type thing.

Can ordinary Teleporters link between layers? If that is possible, couldn’t you actually create many “surface” layers linked by portals as a proxy for planar travel?

Might be something to bear in mind if I ever get around to making scenarios…

Thariorn

Can ordinary Teleporters link between layers? If that is possible, couldn’t you actually create many “surface” layers linked by portals as a proxy for planar travel?

Might be something to bear in mind if I ever get around to making scenarios…

Yes, they can.

Teleporters work the same as cave entrances and use the same network.
    Practically, cave entrances are JUST teleporters…..

Ericridge

Each underground entrance is technically a teleporter, just linked to go to the next level, so you can have them go to as many different levels as you like.

That doesn’t quite solve the issue of RMG lacking the depths. 🙁

Gyor

Wait so you could have a map with multiple surfaces levels? Cool. I had heard of a rumour that said that one could have multiple under grounds, but Multiple surface areas are way cooler. One surface or Underground layer for each race as befits them could be cool.

Ravenholme

Wait so you could have a map with multiple surfaces levels? Cool. I had heard of a rumour that said that one could have multiple under grounds, but Multiple surface areas are way cooler. One surface or Underground layer for each race as befits them could be cool.

I do believe there would be nothing stopping you from doing so. Might be interesting for some kind of long form challenge scenario, where you battle your way across successive maps to defeat the evil lord/empire whatever 😛

Teehon

Well, that’s amazing!
    But I would love to see a some kind of “The Planes” thing (Think of Planescape on this). I always loved the notion of different planes of existence.
    But it should NOT be like Shadow World in SM, it wasn’t very popular at the best of times. Because it’s even worse than caverns at the terms of balance. And this insane speed..

No, what I would’ve loved is a system of creating a new ‘Plane’, with a fixed tileset and a random prefix to it (For example, a layer filled with Wetlands and an effect “Weakened to Poison” affecting all units, Poison Immune as well, reflecting a weird, weakening air on this plane of existence. Or a world, filled with a lot of Mist and random Lightning Storms appearing + filled with traveling small and mature Air Elementals)

Quick brainstorming:

Elemental Planes:

The Plane of Air
    Filled with Mist, randomly occurring Lightning Storms, bands of Air Elementals traveling through. Would look very cool if at places there would be ‘holes’, which only flying units can travel through.

The Plane of Water
    Filled with Wetlands, but mostly with water and with Water Elementals + other water creatures. All units affected by Water Walking on this Plane.

The Plane of Earth
    Just like caverns, but mostly open with both walls of stone but also with mountains (would look unique). No units can fly on this plane.

The Plane of Fire
    Filled with fire and smoke! All battlefields are affected with undisjunctable Poisonous Fumes.

etc etc

Bonuses:
    * High replayability
    * Not a lot of work (All the content already in game)
    * Kinda unique

Mali:
    * Difficult to balance properly
    * Not sure if people will use it a lot (Shadow World was never used in MP in SM, and Caverns are rarely played with in AoW3)

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.