The single greatest improvement in AGE 3

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions The single greatest improvement in AGE 3

This topic contains 17 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Jaduggar 4 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Jaduggar

…the lack of instant win/lose when a leader is killed.

I am playing through the old AGE 1 campaign, right now, and I have to say: I had completely forgotten how damned annoying it was to lose or to win solely through the extermination of a factions leader. Introducing the throne mechanic to AGE was the best idea Triumph ever had.

I really dont have anything else to say, with this thread. I am done now.

…you can leave >:|

Ravenholme

I am playing through the old AGE 1 campaign, right now, and I have to say: I had completely forgotten how damned annoying it was to lose or to win solely through the extermination of a factions leader. Introducing the throne mechanic to AGE was the best idea Triumph ever had.

Technically, they got rid of that in Age 2 – but there the problem was kind of the opposite one. You had to hunt down each and every enemy city with a Wizard’s Tower to finally be able to defeat the enemy, as their Wizard would be able to respawn at any of them, iirc.

Age of Wonders 3’s triumph is the Throne mechanic, where if you’re quick you can cut out all that by defeating leader and throne city.

JPoll

For me, the greatest improvement compared to AoW:SM are probably flanking mechanics, they make fights way more interesting.

Gilafron

The different damage channels get my vote. This approach is an improvement over the poison-strike, fire-strike, etc. from AoW2. Those “strike” effects are still available in AoW3 via other abilities.

I also really like that attacks always do some damage.

Finally, I predict my favorite improvement will be unlimited spell, skill, and ability addition/subtraction via modding. 😉

Morty

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Jaduggar wrote:</div>

Technically, they got rid of that in Age 2 – but there the problem was kind of the opposite one. You had to hunt down each and every enemy city with a Wizard’s Tower to finally be able to defeat the enemy, as their Wizard would be able to respawn at any of them, iirc.

Age of Wonders 3′s triumph is the Throne mechanic, where if you’re quick you can cut out all that by defeating leader and throne city.

Not any of them – they needed to have a wizard’s tower. But one could be built in any city, although it took a while.

Ravenholme

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ravenholme wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Jaduggar wrote:</div><br>

Age of Wonders 3′s triumph is the Throne mechanic, where if you’re quick you can cut out all that by defeating leader and throne city.

Not any of them – they needed to have a wizard’s tower. But one could be built in any city, although it took a while.

Rats, I was sure I had written “with a Wizard’s Tower”, but regardless, Wiz Tower 1 was cheap enough (And useful enough – that spell casting domain extension) that I rarely saw any city without them.

Edit:

Hey, wait, that is EXACTLY what I did say: “You had to hunt down each and every enemy city with a Wizard’s Tower to finally be able to defeat the enemy”

ninninnin

For me, the greatest improvement compared to AoW:SM are probably flanking mechanics, they make fights way more interesting.

the combat is way more fun, you can speed up animations, multi shot ranged units can hit things for the first time since age of wonders 1, guard mode and flanking.
    its familiar but totally different in a way that improved upon itself, its got more of a right to call itself a sequel than most sequels.

you better not die on me triumph. its not like i like you or anything b-b-baka i just think your games are fun, sheesh!

AwesomeLion

There are so many improvements in AoW3 compared to AoW1 and 2 that I couldn’t possibly chose a single one.

In my opinion, there isn’t a single thing that was better in the older versions then what we get from AoW3. This of course, is my opinion and I am sure some won’t share that sentiment.

And no, that’s not something I am saying because I am a beta tester. It’s just my honest opinion of the game. With AoW3 and Endless Legend, I feel I have all my 4X needs covered. I think AoW3 might be my top pick of all games (disregarding nostalgia feelings and such).

Thariorn

In my opinion, there isn’t a single thing that was better in the older versions then what we get from AoW3.

Dungeon Exploring was at ti’s peak with AoW 1. That’s non-negotiable 😛

AwesomeLion

Dungeon Exploring was at ti’s peak with AoW 1. That’s non-negotiable :P

Ooooh.. I forgot about that one. That one was pretty cool for sure.. *twiddle twiddle*

Okay, I have to admit, I do miss that one XD

Jaduggar

Dungeon Exploring was at ti’s peak with AoW 1. That’s non-negotiable

Yeah, I wont lie. I miss the old dungeon mechanics, where you explored a hidden map, and uncovered monsters as you went. I would have liked to see that be expanded, rather than removed, but given that the AI will actually explore dungeons, collect magic items, and use them now… I am not going to complain. One of the most de-immersive things about AGE 1 was how the AI completely ignored items and treasure sites.

All of the worlds loot was just for you, and the enemy simply left it on the ground. Now if I lose an epic sword, the damned thing will actually come back to me in the hands of the enemy. I like that a lot, its how it should be… so its a trade off I can live with.

Astraflame

There are so many improvements in AoW3 compared to AoW1 and 2 that I couldn’t possibly chose a single one.

In my opinion, there isn’t a single thing that was better in the older versions then what we get from AoW3. This of course, is my opinion and I am sure some won’t share that sentiment.

And no, that’s not something I am saying because I am a beta tester. It’s just my honest opinion of the game. With AoW3 and Endless Legend, I feel I have all my 4X needs covered. I think AoW3 might be my top pick of all games (disregarding nostalgia feelings and such).

Age 1 is dated and today primitive when it comes to gameplay but is forever loved for it’s superior soundtrack and atmosphere. There are still a couple of things i miss from it, path abilities, like path of frost, destructible sites, map enchantments, map alter spells raise/level mountains, evil/holy woods. Age 2 had spirit quests, i miss those as well.

Age 3 single best improvement is imo the combat.

Stormwind

Thats my personal single favorite too, and probably alot of other people, given the negative reactions to the thread that asked to change it. It added a whole new tactical dimension to fights that was not there before.

Before playing, I thought the change to how flying works would be a bland nerf that would make combat less interesting. However flanking plus flying makes things more interesting, not less.

Charlatan

Dungeon Sub-Maps with fog of war and Spirits all the way!

Really miss the latter. Who needs a pompous Allfather who never does anything when you can have cool individual spirits who hang around every now and then instead?

Jaduggar

Before playing, I thought the change to how flying works would be a bland nerf that would make combat less interesting. However flanking plus flying makes things more interesting, not less.

Personally, I liked it better when flyers could only be retaliated against by ground troops, but couldnt be attacked directly without a ranged attack.

Stormwind

I thought that too originally, but seeing how flanking works changed my mind.

One problem with the old way is it could lead to the ridiculous situation of one flying unit successfully defending an entire town against a melee based assault, despite the fact the the assaulting force could batter down all the gates, assemble in the square, loot the cities coffers, then sit on the veranda and play Mah Jhong, while the lone flying “defender” circled up in the stratosphere somewhere. Some defense, the the raped and pillaged townspeople might legitimately wonder…..

Charlatan

Some defense, the the raped and pillaged townspeople might legitimately wonder…..

Absolutely not. My townspeople were either Undead, or knew they’re still better off than when they complain, while my impossible untouchable defender compensated for my laziness.

Jaduggar

One problem with the old way is it could lead to the ridiculous situation of one flying unit successfully defending an entire town against a melee based assault, despite the fact the the assaulting force could batter down all the gates, assemble in the square, loot the cities coffers, then sit on the veranda and play Mah Jhong, while the lone flying “defender” circled up in the stratosphere somewhere. Some defense, the the raped and pillaged townspeople might legitimately wonder…..

This is a very good point, and such weird issues did arise in AGE 1. You would have to commit to the creation of a whole other set of game mechanics in order to correct these in a satisfactory way, and I think this may just be the best(simplest) answer. But… I still liked the other system in most cases.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.