Triumph, what is really annoying me…

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Triumph, what is really annoying me…

This topic contains 21 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  warbpeaTet 1 day, 17 hours ago.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author

Jolly Joker

isn’t the fact that it takes ages to correct the mishap with patch 1.801 (for GoG users); what is really pissing me off is this:

Prior to the last patch there was the working 1.800 version of the full game on the GoG servers. When the new patch was out, the downloadable full game version was changed to 1.801, additionally they have the patch on server to patch existing 1.800.

End result: once patched, no way back.

What the SHOULD have been done is, to keep the working complete version 1.800 a week or so, until it was clear there would be no problem. And as soon as it was clear that version 1.801 IS NOT WORKING PROPERLY, that version should have been removed and the old 1.800 reinstalled for download, until a PROPER 1.801 patch was available.

So since a couple of weeks now, not only GoG users have no way to use the package editor, new buyers will also download a flawed game.

THAT is really, really annoying – the wait for a working patch would have been no problem at all, if we could go back to version 1.800 (with a fresh installation, but still). It’s not customer friendly at all, and I think that you as the publisher should have made sure that things were done correctly. I mean, the NEW patch 1.801 will have to patch the old 1.801 now, not 1.800, which may result in further mayhem.

I understand you are busy, but that is no way to deal with your customers. GoG buyers feel like the unwanted step children here.

Hiliadan

What really annoys me is posts like this. I’m also a GoG user, I would also prefer to be able to access mod tools, but you should address your rant to GoG, not to Triumph. And you should stop acting like a spoiled child: we are apparently only 4 to miss mod tools from GoG: you, Max Magician, the new player who never used them and me. What’s the priority? 4 players on a game that old or the new game? I fully understand Triumph takes some time to fix 1.801, especially since their open beta build showed they introduced new issues when trying to fix old ones.
    Your complaint about how GoG works with new builds should be posted on the GoG forum, not here, it’s GoG who didn’t act as planned.
    AND, if you didn’t use GoG Galaxy, you could have stayed on 1.8 on the first place, so it’s also YOUR own choice.

The AoW3 Wiki, including a video library!
    Improve AoW3 with the balance mod (presentation video)
    The Battlefield.com/AoW3 the community website for AoW3

Jolly Joker

Sure, *I* go to GoG and tell them, guys, trash your 1.801 full game version and put back 1.800, you currently have a faulty game version on offer. You really think, users should tell GoG which game version to put up for download?

I think, posts like yours are doing the customers a very bad service. Obviously, only the developer/producer of a game can tell the distributing platform which is which. In this case the problem is, that GoG, instead of just keeping the 1.800 as full game version version and simply offering the patch to download, upgraded the downloadable GAME version to 1.801 IN ADDITION to offering patch 1.800 to 1.801. That means, that – in case you were too annoyed to understand that – every buyer from March 30 on and every buyer until this is fixed will buy and download a game not working properly, and frankly, if it was MY game I simply wouldn’t want that. That is of course an added malus to the fact that owners can’t go back to the version with the working package manager, which is MY problem, and one that I definitely shouldn’t have, and not because there is no working patch, but simply because Triumph doesn’t tell GoG to put 1.800 game version up for download again (and maybe put in a disclaimer for people downloading 1.801).

In my opinion, only Triumph has (and should have) the authority to tell GoG which version to put up for download, everything else would be unacceptable. You wouldn’t want me to be able and tell the guys who run the site you can download your balance patch from which version to put up, right?

And what kind of point is, “you could have stayed on 1.8 in the first place”? Really, I also could have stopped modding and playing the game or parts of it long ago, and I could have saved my money altogether. But it’s not about what *I COULD HAVE DONE* – it’s about what *I CANNOT DO*, although I should be able to. Uninstalling a game, downloading a prior game version and re-installing it as a workaround is actually work enough.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  Jolly Joker.

Fluks

I don’t know if it’s GoGs fault or Triumphs fault that you can’t roll back a version. Clearly someone deserves to take the blame here. But I can understand that Triumph wants to make sure the 1.801 fix is not causing any more trouble before rolling it out to GoG. Because as we just saw there seems to be no rollback (and neither a beta version like on steam).
    Try to remember: They made an awesome game, they ported it for Mac and Linux, they sell it not only on steam but also on GoG, they provided quite powerful modding tools and now 4 years after release they messed up a bit while wanting to provide a patch. As rightful as your criticism is, they should fix it faster, mistakes happen and they’ve done a big amount of pretty cool stuff so cut them some slack for that.
    It’s of course easier for me to say because I’m not actively modding…

Jolly Joker

I don’t think they should fix faster. I just think they should tell GoG to put up 1.800 again (there will be that version SOMEwhere). It’s no problem for ANYONE, to download 1.800 and then, depending on priorities, dl and patch to 1.801 – or not (and allowing people with 1.801 to REINSTALL, which is what I would do).
    Currently there is no option other than to install the version with the faulty package manager.

marcuspers1

Hi Jolly Joker

Have you posted in the GoG forum, asking if they have a backup file for 1.800, for those who need the package manager? Could be worth a shot. Probably an admin available who can sort you out relatively quick, if they in fact get a file from Triumph to upload to the server.

Not sure exactly how it works though, I might be 100% in the wrong of how it actually work.

Hiliadan

You really think, users should tell GoG which game version to put up for download?

Yes I think and that’s what they usually do. Just like people ask to GoG, not to devs to add new games on GoG.

n this case the problem is, that GoG, instead of just keeping the 1.800 as full game version version and simply offering the patch to download

Yeah, so that’s GoG’s problem.

Jolly Joker

@ marcuspers1

I wrote a mail to support, explaining the problem. I have a ticket, but no response yet, and I seriously don’t expect them to change a game downland on behalf of what one user reports.

Even if they eventually would WANT to do it, they will probably need the help of Triumph, getting the correct 1.800 build from them.

Jolly Joker

Yeah, so that’s GoG’s problem.

Nope. It’s first and foremost the CUSTOMER’s problem. If it was GOG’s problem, Triumph wouldn’t need to work on a fix.

Also, it’s not the question whose “problem” it is. Usually not only is it in Triumph’s/Developer’s interest to fix customer problems, if they CAN fix them, it’s also not in the habit of Triumph – as opposed to you – to point tell people to frag off; instead they have been quite helpful. That’s why I don’t unerstand the seeming desinterest in GoG not being able to offer a working product since 4 weeks.

I also don’t understand what this is to you? Getting brownie points with Triumph, berating people with an issue, as if Triumph needed a solicitor to speak for them?

Hiliadan

I just don’t like Triumph to be attacked on their general forum for no appropriate reason. I mean, I have the same problem as you, because I can’t open the mod tools and I’d need to (for the Shadow Realm expansion and for the balance mod) but I don’t act like a spoiled child. Triumph is very busy on their super secret project, it’s normal it takes much more time than 3 years ago when they released the game.

And also it’s fun to make you post 10 times more than me after each message. 😀 Sorry. 😀

Jolly Joker

If something is inappropriate then it’s telling people they have no right to feel in a certain way about something and that they act like spoiled children when they have a legitimate complaint – after 4 years time the modding part of the game is a pretty vital game part.

I’m also not complaining about the fact that the patch isn’t fixed, I complain about the fact that there is no option to go back, and that one should be fairly easy to correct.

I’m also not interested in arguing about it.

HousePet

I suspect GoG are competent enough to take a bug report from one of their public customers, and then contact Triumph for confirmation of the issue.

If GoG have an archive of the game files, then all they need is confirmation from Triumph of the fault and they can roll back. There is no need to assume the problem has to be fixed from Triumphs end and complaining to Triumph about GoG’s distribution system makes no sense.

Jolly Joker

There is no need to assume the problem has to be fixed from Triumphs end and complaining to Triumph about GoG’s distribution system makes no sense.

Let’s not forget that the original cock-up is the flawed patch, which is exclusively Triumph territory, so there is no need to assume that the problem should (and will) not be fixed from Triumph’s end.

And there is very good reason to assume that Triumph has a firm interest in making sure that their games are published in the best possible way; as you can see, there are blithering idiots like me, who blame Triumph for every inconvenience, no matter how meaningless they are and how far-fetched it may be, but the real reason is that they made a product to be proud of, and if you did make such a product you simply don’t want that product to be marred by anything, no matter who is responsible for the flaw.

Now, you may have read that I’ve been trying the GoG side as well (no result as of now), but they will need Triumph’s confirmation anyway.

And so that you understand why I am annoyed: This shouldn’t be necessary! In my opinion, the day it was clear that patch 1.801 is flawed, that is, disables the package manager, TRIUMPH should have told GoG to AT LEAST put a disclaimer up, warning every patcher, and make sure users have an option to pick between patching and not (ultimately meaning, to have game version 1.800 up plus patch 1.801 with said disclaimer). In my opinion, it’s in their responsibility – GoG couldn’t know that the patch is flawed, and the patch has been authorized by Triumph.
    That would have been just one e-mail.

Keep also in mind that I’m not annoyed in any furious way. I’m more annoyed in a not-understanding-why way, because Triumph doesn’t have a record of producing patches that fix bugs by introducing new ones – unlike with other companies and other games like the infamous patching process of the last two M&M Heroes games.

Jolly Joker

Ok, I got an answer from GoG support, and since this is really interesting, (and since Triumph didn’t slap me with the info I expect that this might be new for them as well), I’ll post this here.

Users of GoG Galaxy (I usually don’t, but have it installed anyway) CAN actually rollback to any desired version. Simply open Galaxy, select the game, and click on More -> Settings. Here disable automatic updates, and manually select the game version that you wish to use.

I tried it – and it works! You will have to checkmark all DLCs separately, but I did that, and I’m actually back to the 2nd 1.800 version (the one with the additional PBEM patch), and I verified that the package manager works again and all. 🙂

So this is actually very good news for all the GoG guys, with possible ramifications for Triumph as well: with Rollback being possible, “beta branches” would seem to be possible on Galaxy as well, it would seem.

EDIT: I’ll put this in a separate thread, so that interesting parties may take note.

HousePet

Ouch, one of the worst self burns available on the internet: Ranting about something that needs fixing, when you had the option in front of you the whole time…

And no, I’m not here to rub it in, unless you need some help with the burn healing cream. XD

Jolly Joker

I’d consider it a self burn, if aanother user or Triumph had slapped me with the info – but none did. Instead, I did everything to obtain a solution, found one and posted it, and that’s actually confirming my view that everyone including Triumph knows how to work with Steam and related stuff, but not how to deal with GoG and Galaxy.

You know, sometimes you have to smash some china to get results. 😉

Leon Feargus

Ouch, one of the worst self burns available on the internet: Ranting about something that needs fixing, when you had the option in front of you the whole time…

And no, I’m not here to rub it in, unless you need some help with the burn healing cream. XD

How is this a self burn?
    JJ had a problem. He did everything he could to solve his problem and eventually the problem was solved. Even though the solution was a simple one it was not that obvious. And in the end it appears like he also did the community a service (at least the GoG part).

HousePet

I’ve never seen the GoG interface so I don’t know how hidden it is, but when there is an option to select what version of the game files it runs inside the settings for a game (you know, where I’d expect it), that doesn’t sound obscure.

Sucks that he had to get an email from GoG support to discover it was there. Even if you miss something yourself, I agree that searching/asking how to do it should give you the answer.

Although a quick search says the feature has been around since mid 2015?

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by  HousePet.

Jolly Joker

GoG isn’t Steam – Galaxy isn’t mandatory or anything. Nor is it necessary. You can buy a game and download it without even knowing that it exists, and you don’t need it for patches/patching either.

Arnout
    Keymaster

The new GoG build should now be available

Jolly Joker

Yup. I installed the update, and the launcher works.
    Thanks.

warbpeaTet

Рекомендую Вам посетить сайт, с огромным количеством статей по интересующей Вас теме.

Замечательно, очень полезное сообщение бурение скважин калининград, колонковое бурение скважин или http://www.zheschool3.ru/index.php/forum/razdel-predlozhenij/5208-burenie-skvazhin#5212 – тут бурение скважин волхов
    http://www.raieen.org/index.php/forum/14/27239#27247 – тутhttp://www.adeat-onlus.org/index.php?option=com_kunena&view=topic&catid=2&id=28077&Itemid=178#28078 – тутhttp://www.link-kremen.net/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=62&func=view&catid=16&id=31603#31603 – тутhttp://www.geoversum.by/forum/thread5919.html#7035 – тутhttp://www.demyanovo-school.ru/index.php/forum/razdel-predlozhenij/17812-burenie-skvazhin#17847 – тутhttp://medwriters.ru/forum/burenie-skvazhin – тутhttp://weukr.com/uk/content/burenye-skvazhyn – тутhttp://www.webdev.ru/forum/topic/1138 – тутhttp://www.uzaze.com/east-african-journal/categories/listings/2018-05-22-18-31-36 – тутhttp://www.freeacademicians.org/index.php/forum/welcome-mat/6308 – тут

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.