Triumph’s New Game to be announced May 18th @ PDXCon!

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Triumph’s New Game to be announced May 18th @ PDXCon!

This topic contains 397 replies, has 63 voices, and was last updated by  EmilyEssayCyber 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 398 total)
  • Author

SikBok
    Keymaster

It’s funny that Triumph doesn’t respond to the worries many have about the Paradox-curse of excessive DLC releases after release.

Well, lets fix that.

The plan for DLC is to do what fits the game. Since the game is not yet released, heck the internal build has yet to reach its final form, what fits the game is pretty hard to call. Which in turn makes responding to this hard, because we don’t have much info to share.

The other thing is that discussion on DLC – is it good, is it bad, it it somewhere in between – on most of the forums I read are, typically, not very nuanced. Which I find disappointing, because imho the subject is not a tolkienesque good vs evil thing.
    So unless I have the time to deep dive into the topic – some walls of text and actively responding to other posters in a proper thread on the subject – I’d rather not go into it too deeply at all.

Low_K

Thanks for your reply, Sikbok.

Reason I asked is that it seemed you avoided the subject, as Shakey posted a post in this very thread and you didn’t respond to him, yet you did on posts after his, which would have meant you did read his/hers post.

So I started a new thread on the subject as I think there is room for discussion as many worry about this whole Paradoxian thing. It is not that I want to bash you guys, I just want my favourite franchise to prosper.

Kind regards,

Low

Why is it when I turn off the laptop, after hours of playing Age of Wonders 3, the girlfriend is there waiting? I'll look up and stare at 115 pounds of pure Satan!

Taykor

I just want my favourite franchise to prosper.

Well, this is not a very suitable argument. It could be argued that a franchise which includes a lot of DLCs is extremely prosperous. Who cares about a few stingy nerds?

• This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by  Taykor.

Low_K

Well, this is not a very suitable argument. It could be argued that a franchise which includes a lot of DLCs is extremely prosperous. Who cares about a few stingy nerds?

I too think releasing stacks upon stacks of DLC is prosperous for any franchise, that is why everyone does it nowadays. 🙂
    But it will also mean that many players will probably only buy the main game and leave the cosmetic or overpriced DLC alone until a sale comes along. Unfortunately not too many people do this so that the DLC practices keep coming, too few people vote with their wallets.

Triumph never was known for milking customers, let’s just hope this alliance won’t make them like that.

Kind regards,

Low

Why is it when I turn off the laptop, after hours of playing Age of Wonders 3, the girlfriend is there waiting? I'll look up and stare at 115 pounds of pure Satan!

Taykor

Unfortunately not too many people do this so that the DLC practices keep coming, too few people vote with their wallets.

That’s exactly what I was talking about. If people buy, why change anything? Unless, of course, the situation is really changing and people are fed up with it. Don’t know, which is really true.

Tomipapa

Glad you guys still kicking!

Can’t wait to see it. Just one thing: I hope the game has a proper campaign like all your previous games.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by  Tomipapa.

Turgon

PDS, the developping studio of Paradox, has fallen into a greedy DLC selling machine.

Help us Triumph, you are our only hope.

Draxynnic

Thanks for your reply, Sikbok.

Reason I asked is that it seemed you avoided the subject, as Shakey posted a post in this very thread and you didn’t respond to him, yet you did on posts after his, which would have meant you did read his/hers post.

So I started a new thread on the subject as I think there is room for discussion as many worry about this whole Paradoxian thing. It is not that I want to bash you guys, I just want my favourite franchise to prosper.

Kind regards,

Low

Shakey wasn’t really as direct on the topic – his post was more along the lines of general distrust of Paradox with DLC mentioned in passing, but the main criticism seemed to be that the base game wasn’t functioning and they were adding piles of DLC without fixing the core problems. You were more direct in regarding excessive DLC as the problem in and of itself, compared to Shakey’s post which seemed more along the lines of “please put more effort into fixing the game than milking DLC!”

On the topic of DLCs themselves… I might switch to the thread you’re making on the topic.

RomeoReject

Everyone keeps saying AoW or Scifi. Why not both?

The gameplay, races & lore of AoW, but moved in to the future. Would be a weird, interesting change of pace. And one that would currently stand completely alone in the 4X space.

Chimaira

Well I sincerely hope it is another AoW or some other fantasy title. Lately there was a real flood of sci-fi 4X titles and only few from the fantasy genre. Besides AoW3 we got Eador, Endless Legend, new HoMM, Fallen Enchantress, Warlock and I think that is all. Another great turn-based fantasy game from Triumph would be really nice 🙂

Taykor

Besides AoW3 we got Eador, Endless Legend, new HoMM, Fallen Enchantress, Warlock and I think that is all.

Also, all of these aren’t really recent games.

SaschaJ

Fantastic news, can’t wait for your announcement !!!
    Please make sure that there will be (as usual) a hot seat mode implemented in the game. Since Age of Wonders we’ve played hundreds of hours together – our way of having a great evening 🙂
    Wish you all the best
    Regards

SeeR

You guys are testing it right now aren’t you ? no wonder I can’t host an aow3 lobby at this present moment……

SikBok
    Keymaster

You guys are testing it right now aren’t you ? no wonder I can’t host an aow3 lobby at this present moment……

Hi Seer,

Again, sorry for multiplayer being down.
    Wasn’t related to us working on our super secret project though.

Taykor

Interesting… Would these libs work well through routers, without any ‘bad connections’? (When they will be released, of course)
    https://github.com/ValveSoftware/GameNetworkingSockets

I just hope that the new game wouldn’t have any problems with ‘bad connection’.

Kat

I’ve just notice this wonderful news about your new game. Can’t wait, feel excited! No matter what it is, sure it will be well developed and polished product. I wish Triumph (and us) next triumphant game which will suck us in for hours.

I keep forgetting the release is so far away, and google “triumph studios new game” to see if any info dropped. My god i cant wait any more! >.< So excited.

In regards to the DLC debate, i will take the side of Paradox here. To be fair, I love all the AoW series and its release plan was great and worked for me.

But I do prefer the Paradox style of BUCKET TONS of content being released throughout the years and keeping me playing the game over and over and over again.

Yes, perhaps some of the releases are not as meaty as I would like, but as a gamer, im a greedy mofo and always want more! And I think thats true for all of us.

I am very happy with all the Stellaris paid content updates and bought them all.
    That in turn help the team to stay alive and thus they keep developing the game and its getting better and better. CK2 is another one, i bought a fair amount of that content too and its stiiilll going after so long.

Who knows, perhaps if Triumph did it that way, then AoW3 would still be getting updates to this day and we would have seen another few new campaigns, races and mechanics introduced that we now, may never see.

Again, who knows. But I certainly do not think a lot of (if not great, then at least decent) DLC is a bad thing.

🙂

euskai

It seems I won’t be buying the new game anytime soon. Just as I’ve not bought anything released by PDX in 4 years unless it’s game + all DLC for 30€ or less.

Considering that right now Europa Universalis 4 has 322,75€ worth of DLCs, including DLCs that have their own DLCs, my policy is buy complete packages a few years after release at 75%+ discount or ignore.

In the end I will probably buy, but I’m still playing EU3 + Magna Mundi mod, so it might take a few years (and a huge discount).

It’s not personal, I don’t have any hope about PDX changing their policy and I’m not resentful, I simply don’t enjoy buying shallow games that get features bit by bit, 19€ at a time.

So I wish you the best of luck and I hope it turns out a great game, even if it takes a few years to get there. I’ll be waiting.

thiasss

Hey guys,

Regarding that post from Low_K, I actually hoped for a new DLC before AoW4, but now that AoW 4 is announced it would be great if you could make some cheap 2-3€ DLCs or free content packages to try some things out. I’m not sure if modding allows the implementation of new units, but I always thought, what AoW needed is a Demon Race, with a hellspawn hero, that also comes along with a new kind of map. Right now there’s surface and caves,

but wouldn’t a demon portal to a demon world also be cool? It would also be immersive and now that you’re working on AoW4 you could easily implement it to try it out.

Rhaeg

I’m in the mood to spoil some fun, so let me do some party pooping here (mwuhahaha). As much as new races and map layers for AOW3 would be cool, it’s not going to happen: Triumph is still a very small studio that’s hard at work on a new game, so the chances they have an amount of people available for large amounts of new content for an old game are practically zilch. So alas. No. New. Race. For. You. 😛 mwuhahaha (there, you did get a demonic laugh now so not all’s bad!)

Also, AOW4 has not been confirmed yet…

• This reply was modified 5 months ago by  Rhaeg.

Hiliadan

t I always thought, what AoW needed is a Demon Race, with a hellspawn hero, that also comes along with a new kind of map. Right now there’s surface and caves,

but wouldn’t a demon portal to a demon world also be cool?

There is a community expansion under work and it includes Shadow Demons as well as an additional layer that comes on top of the Surface and Underground: the Shadow Realm, which can be considered a “demon world” somehow. It can be reached by Shadow Gates.
    Check out the latest article about it and follow the links to read previous articles which show more about the expansion.

The AoW3 Wiki, including a video library!
    Improve AoW3 with the balance mod (presentation video)
    The Battlefield.com/AoW3 the community website for AoW3

16 days!

www.grababrew.weebly.com/

Rhaeg

So uh, will this announcement be streamed live somewhere? And does Paradox know you’re gonna announce the new game on their own convention? 😛 Can’t see any Triumph peeps on that list https://pdxcon.paradoxplaza.com/speakers 😛

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by  Rhaeg.

Taykor

Can’t see any Triumph peeps on that list

Speakers updated frequently
    Paradox won’t even allow Triumph to announce their own game! >:-[]

Plumpbiscuit

So is it AoW4 or that sci-fi rumoured game?

?

This is the 3rd time I am hearing reference to a rumoured sci-fi game. Would dearly love to know where this rumour started.

www.grababrew.weebly.com/

Gloweye

I bet it started on ppl’s wishlists.

Kelmindal

Hi Sikbok,

I can not wait to be on May 18th to find out what you have prepared for us as a sweetmeat.
    I hope I will not be disappointed and that you have thought to mix RPG aspect and strategy as usual.
    Otherwise I come to the Netherlands to strike in front of your studioTriumph if it’s ok we will drink a good beer to congratulate you.
    See you soon Sikbok.

Your devoted🙏🍻😘

SikBok
    Keymaster

See you soon Sikbok.

In the picket line in front of the door, or will you be coming to PDX Con?

SikBok
    Keymaster

So uh, will this announcement be streamed live somewhere?

Yes, it will be streamed.
    Stuff will likely end up on twitch/youtube, etc. for people not watching live. There is also press attending, so there should be plenty of stuff to get a first impression.

Paradox won’t even allow Triumph to announce their own game! >:-[]

No worries. Our glorious leader will be doing the announcing. We’ll actually be at the Con with quite a number of devs. If you’re there, come find us at the booth.

Nobody knows!
    It’s still super secret : )>

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 398 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.