Ubuntu version on GoG?

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Ubuntu version on GoG?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  xerion567 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

LeLorrain

Will there ever be a version of Age of Wonders III for Ubuntu on GoG? I love the game and play a lot, but I would rather not have to use Wine with or without PlayOnLinux!

I find the game pretty slow when there are many units on the map (10-15 Fps!!), even with a small map!

I know there is a Linux version on Steam, but I do not like to have Steam running in the background when I play. I prefer to buy a game that I can play without having someone behind my back (Steam!) recording every thing I do!

LL

LeLorrain

By the way, my system:

CPU: Intel I7 7700K @ 3.8Ghz
    RAM: 16GB @ 3200Mhz
    GPU: AMD Radeon HD6870 c/w 1GB
    O/S: Ubuntu 16.04.3 c/w PlayOnLinux 4.2.12 & Wine 3.7

LL

xerion567

Woah! That’s quite the beefy rig to be having trouble with this game. I’ve been able to run it with medium graphics on my humble A10-7850K, though I am using the Steam Linux version and did a bunch of system tweaking.

There’s a bunch of stuff you can do to make Wine and Linux run faster, but you’ll have to ditch the easy-mode configuration like PlayOnLinux and customize Wine and your graphics drivers. So, it depends how much trouble you want to go through to improve the performance.

Since you have AMD graphics, you could try to setup a Wine profile that enables Gallium Nine. Fair warning: This isn’t so easy to do and will probably break stuff! Look up Oibaf if you’re want to take a chance.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.