[UI] Weird path indicator?

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions [UI] Weird path indicator?

This topic contains 13 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Rodmar18 3 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Rodmar18

Could someone explain the situation on the screenshots?

First screenshot:
    Where a flying unit is seemingly allowed to move to a hex already occupied by a full stack. I thought that the path indicator would not show in this case.

Next screenshots:
    Where a fey unit is prevented to enter any hex besides forest and water. The ToW states that Feys hate buildings and so, but nowhere is it written that they can’t enter certain terrains (like mountains, plains, structures). This was experienced on a RNG map.

• This topic was modified 3 months ago by  Rodmar18.

Hiliadan

First one is kind of normal, it’s you who force it to display because you put your mouse over that stack. Not a big deal anyway…

Second one looks weird. Do the other Mountain hexes work?

Rodmar18

Not a big deal indeed for the first one. I should have kept track of the destination stack’s composition anyways.

About the Fey, none of the mountain hexes in the center, nor the road+marsh to the north or any of the structures to the south, work. The screenshots are as explicit as I could test them (meaning on the last one that I targeted many hexes before taking the shot, and only those accessible through contiguous forest + water displayed a path. I have a save game of this. Note that I use the modified path indicator mod. It really looks like this unit is forbidden several terrain types.

Hiliadan

Try without the mod maybe? You don’t use the Impeding Mountains mod?

“nor the road+marsh to the north or any of the structures to the south, work”
    That seems very weird.

Rodmar18

Unchecking the mod doesn’t change anything (when I reload the saved game).

Update:
    – Any road (on town/marsh/barrens/fertile plains), Water, Dense vegetation, and Marsh are walkable for Toadstool Fey (my former assertion was caused by the three weeks delay between playing and posting).
    – Barrens, Fertile Plains, and Mountains are positively forbidden.
    – The terrain on which structures are erected dictates the behavior: Lost Library on marsh is walkable, Magma Forge on barrens or Fire Node on fertile plains aren’t.
    – Toadstool Fey benefits from Wood Walking, Marsh Walking (inherent), and Advanced Logistics.

Hiliadan

Looks very very weird, maybe post the save I can check quickly if it’s the same on my side.

Rodmar18

Here is a saved game, just before last opponent resigns. I disabled all mods except PBEM 1.25 and Fortress.

Toadstool Fey stands SE to Frostgate, near the Crypt.

[EDIT]Saved game shared on Dropbox[/EDIT]

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by  Rodmar18.

Dr_K

There’s something weird with the fairy unit. The the unit that has the fairy icon should have the floating movement indicator since it has Floating.

You should probably verify that the unit actually has the expected abilities.

Rodmar18

You are right!
    The unit somehow lost any floating or walking ability. It has now only Wood Walking, Marsh Walking, and Advanced Logistics, which should explain why it can use roads, forest and marsh hexes.
    I don’t know if this is caused by my translation changes, or by the PBEM mod. As the unit is a site reward, I can’t test on other Fey units.

The leader is a Warlord with all researches completed. Among them, the General Assault grants Charge to the Fey unit. Can a floating unit charge?

Hiliadan

Ok them I’m 99% sure it’s your translations. We had similar (worse) issues when we modified the text of Flying units. Talk toyou on Steam tomorrow. Try without your .xml

Rodmar18

Every floating unit (Wisp, Fey, Horror, Ancestral Spirit, …) had lost its ability to float (and movement icon), and the “Floating” unit’s ability had been removed from ToW or generated a message in red “No Description Set”. Only the “Floating” hero’s upgrade was still written in the ToW (with an empty link to the corresponding unit’s ability). My Sorceror heroes and leader had lost their ability as well. A floating-enabling item had to be reequipped in order for the effect to work again.

I didn’t find any obvious cause in Abilities.xml nor in BAL_ABILITIES.xml (lines ABILITY_GROUP and FLOAT, respectively, looked normal). It’s difficult to tell because I had to forcibly load old saved games every time, but even renaming (deactivating) both files didn’t solve the problem, and only got me outdated descriptions and names for abilities, as expected. So, I brought back an ancient version of BAL_ABILITIES.xml (that I hadn’t touched in the last weeks), and voila, “Floating” came back in the ToW and all unit’s panels. The one Toadstool Fey on the screenshot is still deprived from this ability, however, but perhaps, the saved game is wrecked for that matter.

There’s a chance that either a corrupted save of one xml file, or a bad management of mods is the cause of the problem. I’ll do a clean test in September with updated and synchronized files.

Dr_K

Ok them I’m 99% sure it’s your translations. We had similar (worse) issues when we modified the text of Flying units. Talk toyou on Steam tomorrow.

I assume that it’s from an invalid description/name which daisy-chains down to the ability missing from the game entirely. But what actually causes it to be invalid in the .xml? Unexpected characters, or just accidentally missing values?

Hiliadan

No, it’s the whole .xml that got corrupted. And that causes big big issues like units disappearing, etc.
    For us it happened when one of the translator of the balance mod used Notepad++ (or similar) to edit the .xml instead of Excel or LibreOffice.

Rodmar18

I use LibreOffice to open the .xml and save them as Microsoft Excel 2003 XML.
    However, I’m on a linux system. Could it be a matter of a Unix EoL instead of a Microsoft EoL, or an ISO accentuated character instead of a Unicode one?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.