While we are very busy with our next big strategy game, we still managed to find time for some Age of Wonders 3 spring cleaning. In addition to killing bugs and adding a bit of twinkling polish, we have added new water gameplay features for you to enjoy.
We’d love it if you’d give the new patch a go and let us know is you run into any trouble. I
To get access to the open beta:
- Right Click ‘Age of Wonders 3’ in your Steam Library and select ‘Properties’ from the menu that appears.
- Select the ‘BETAS’ tab in the ‘Properties’ window.
- Set the combobox to ‘open_beta’.
- Close the ‘Properties’ window.
- Start the game to force an update.
Or watch the start of this video.
Of course, be aware! It’s a beta, so things might crash or malfunction. This can cause you to lose progress or wreck save games, so only switch to the beta if you are willing to take that risk ; )>
Also note that if you are playing online multiplayer or PBEM matches everyone in the match needs to move into the beta branch if you do. I suggest switching back – opting out of beta – when playing PBEM games, unless everyone agrees on moving into the beta.
- Added new Build a Water Fortress ability. This enables embarked Builder Units to create Fortresses on water and claim water structures more easily.
- Added new Oyster Reef structure. Oyster Reef generate gold and population within your domain.
- Fixed 2 issues where units could sometimes shoot through walls and other obstacles without a line of sight penalty. So your dudes and dudettes are safe behind their walls now.
- Fixed an issue where entering combat would wipe extra move points gained from Death March. Allowing you to use Victory Rush to the fullest.
- Mind controlled/ghouled units now always have 0 move points on the world map after battle. This is intended as nerf strategies based on unit acquisition in combat.
- Mind controlled units can no longer retreat from battle. No more cheap summon stealing, sorry.
- Chaos Rift, Great Immolation and Great Stoning now warn the AI that it needs to abandon siege defense during tactical combat. Charge!!!
- If a summoned unit evolves, then the summoning spell will be cancelled, and the unit will become a normal unit with a higher mana upkeep. The mana cost is based on the typical cost to summon a unit of the unit’s new tier.
- Fixed a bug in the random map generator when generating a map with teams enabled. Teams would always be generated counter-clockwise around the map, making it possible to predict the location of other teams.
- Fixed a crash when clicking the ‘center’ button in the ‘structure captured’ popup after the structure was razed.
- Fixed a crash that would sometimes occur when releasing a city or a dwelling as a vassal.
- Fixed a bug where items being couriered would remain stuck in the hero inventory when an AI hero joins by surrendering.
- Fixed a bug where AI attacked vassal city of friendly player.
- Fixed a bug where unit buffs/debuffs from global spells would sometimes vanish without any reason
- Human Crusader now has the right impact sound.
Multiplayer and PBEM
- Fixed PBEM exploits. More information after official release, for obvious reasons.
- Fixed hang in PBEM when one human player remained. Now you can end the remaining AIs rightly.
- Fixed PBEM notifaction issue for other players turn.
- Fixed PBEM issue where player was not properly notified of defeat. This prevents a dead state that has you staring at clouds.
- Fixed PBEM issue when swapping slots in setup. So the host can now safely take slot 2.
- Fixed PBEM issue when PBEM settings where changed before the session was launched. This could prevent a game from being launched, etc.
Modding and Tools
- Fixed a crash when starting a map for which the first map layer was removed in the Level Editor.
- Added mod support for charging mana to build structures and roads on the world map
Graphics and Glitches
- Fixed popups being removed when they shouldn’t be. Should help when reading damage popups for spells in combat.
- Changed the ‘Reaper Scythe’ AoW Item Visualization link from a spear to the ‘Necro_Scythe’ model.
- Fixed the Imperial Hand Cannon visualization in Tactical combat.
- Assassin’s Stiletto of Silent Murder now has correct weapon displayed.
Text and Localization
- Removed the obsolete ‘Vanquish Evil Player’ and ‘Vanquish Good Player’ entries in the Tome of Wonders under alignment modifiers.
- Linked text to fix empty table entries in the ToW under relation modifiers.
- Fixed an incomplete description for the goblin military level 5 race governance skill. It now also states that the relevant unit types get +5 hitpoint.
- Fixed an issue where terrain penalties would still be listed, even through they were disabled by the Bolster spell.
Latest posts by Lennart Sas (see all)
- Triumph’s New Game to be announced May 18th @ PDXCon! - February 8, 2018
- TRIUMPH STUDIOS JOINS FORCES WITH PARADOX INTERACTIVE - June 30, 2017
- The V1.8 “POSEIDON” Patch out Now! - May 2, 2017