In today’s journal Michiel van den Bos discusses the soundtrack for the upcoming expansion, and we a small update of little bits and pieces we’ve been working on. First, the Maestro in his own words:
When starting work on this expansion, I had to keep three things in mind: Necromancer, Frostling and Tigran. Each race evokes a different mood.
- Necromancer – Dark, brooding, evil.
- Frostling – Cold, desolate.
- Tigran – Wilderness, Egyptian undertones
Each of these are polar opposites when it comes to their overall tone. I tried very hard not to fall into the trap of focusing on one specific mood. Composing a song based on Necromancers alone would sound foreboding, perhaps even scary, which usually doesn’t make for a compelling melody. A Tigran-centric song would contain none of those traits, but would contain more ethnic drums and instruments. Instead I chose to incorporate pretty much every element in each map song. I also experimented heavily with instruments, blending darker atmospheric instruments with ethnic ones. The result is rather psychedelic and they have a mood that compliments all three classes without ignoring their focus.
I’ve made a small collection of clips from each of the songs in this expansion. Two of them are more uptempo, heroic songs which are the main theme and combat song. See if you can spot which of the maptunes has its focus on each of the classes. Of course small portions of songs don’t paint an accurate picture, but I think you can hear where I’m going with them.
Hope you enjoy the music.
Michiel van den Bos
Next to being a musician for computer games, Michiel is a dance producer and dj …
… a serious metal head…
… a guy of many styles, who’s always looking scary in photos, but in reality is a nice bloke!
PS:We hope to be able to include these tracks (along with the ones composed for Golden Realms) to the Deluxe Edition/DLC
PPS: Some misc things going on at the studio (more on these features later)
- Updated hero recruitment
- Overview Map Improvement
- Sell Hero Items
- Demand Tributes from Vassals.
- Enemy movepoint previews on World Map
- New trailer is nearly done and is looky spiffy.
- An alliance of cowards consisting of Arno, Arnout, Sikbok and an AI player finally managed to beat the heroic empire of Lennart in one of the first completed FFA PBEM games 😛
PPPS: Yes, that announcement + beta is coming soon. But not today!
PPPPS: Okay; you want some art too? Here is a Tigran Leader.
Enjoy your weekend!
Latest posts by Lennart Sas (see all)
- Age of Wonders: Planetfall – Sign up today to get the latest updates! - May 23, 2018
- Triumph’s New Game to be announced May 18th @ PDXCon! - February 8, 2018
- TRIUMPH STUDIOS JOINS FORCES WITH PARADOX INTERACTIVE - June 30, 2017