2 PBEM issues: mod name not updated & debug mode triggering update mod warning

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Help & Support 2 PBEM issues: mod name not updated & debug mode triggering update mod warning

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Hiliadan 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Hiliadan

We’ve had two annoyances in PBEM for quite some time. Several players have been confused by them recently so I thought it would be good to report them. Hopefully you can fix them in next patch!

1/ the mod names displayed in the PBEM lobby, where you can select your game and download your latest turn are the names from when you launched the game. If the mod’s name was updated later on, the new name is not displayed.
    For instance, the balance mod (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=661597466) updates its name after each release: “PBEM & Single player Balance Mod – ver. 1.21” then “PBEM & Single player Balance Mod – ver. 1.22”, etc. But if you had launched a game when it was v1.17, it will still display “”PBEM & Single player Balance Mod – ver. 1.17” in the list of mod you use.
    That is very confusing for players when they are using an older or newer version of the mod and the game asks them to update or ask confirmation that they want to update, because they think: “oh shit, I need v1.17 of the balance mod, where can I get it?” whereas actually they need v1.22 but a release from the 3rd of November instead of 4th of November, etc.

So would it be possible to update the name, for instance check the current name of the mod when a turn is sent to the server, and use that name to update the name displayed in the lobby?

2/ since you added the possibility for players to play to a same PBEM game even if one player is using debug mode and the others are not, we have had scary notifications saying something like: “you are about to update the game to a newer version of the mod, are you sure?” each time a player loads the game with a different mode from the previous player (e.g. debug => no debug, or no debug => debug). That makes players confused: “why do I get this whereas no new update of the mod was released?”.
    So would it be possible to either a/ remove the notification entirely or b/ change its wording to say: “you are playing with a different mode (debug or not) compared to the previous player, are you sure you want to continue?”.

Thanks! 🙂

Hiliadan

Ah a 3rd one before I forget: you can see items received by an enemy hero who participated in a fight you saw, even if the items were received AFTER that fight.

So let’s imagine this situation:
    – hero Siris participate in a fight vs your troops on turn 25
    – then her player gets some items and sends them to Siris
    – on turn 26, you check your log of events and watch the replay of the fight on turn 25, you click on Siris, and you can see her items, including the ones being dispatched to her

That’s linked to a broader issue which is that you can see current info on troops that participated in fights vs you (or not) on previous turns. That includes things like are they (currently) concealed or the land they stand on (through their background on their unit panel).

You should display only info from the time of the fight, not current info.

Zaskow

1/ the mod names displayed in the PBEM lobby

It was clearly my fault. Very first version of mod main file (.acp) called ‘balance_mod_from_vasyan666 – PBEM – beta 1.17’. It was dull name created just for fun. Then I don’t know that change name of this archive makes mod updates impossible (editor thinks that this is different mod, look at beta for reference), but game uses name of this file very often.

Hiliadan

I should not have used v1.17 as an example, what I’m talking about is something different to what you refer to Zaskow. You refer to the name on the launcher of AoW3. But I’m talking about the screen where you select your PBEM game and load the turn, and here, it displays the name of the mod at the time the game was hosted, so that’s not the name of the mod file (.acp).

Hiliadan

These 3 are still there:

1/ the mod names displayed in the PBEM lobby, where you can select your game and download your latest turn are the names from when you launched the game. If the mod’s name was updated later on, the new name is not displayed.

2/ since you added the possibility for players to play to a same PBEM game even if one player is using debug mode and the others are not, we have had scary notifications saying something like: “you are about to update the game to a newer version of the mod, are you sure?” each time a player loads the game with a different mode from the previous player (e.g. debug => no debug, or no debug => debug). That makes players confused: “why do I get this whereas no new update of the mod was released?”.
    So would it be possible to either a/ remove the notification entirely or b/ change its wording to say: “you are playing with a different mode (debug or not) compared to the previous player, are you sure you want to continue?”.

That’s the message:

3/ you can see items received by an enemy hero who participated in a fight you saw, even if the items were received AFTER that fight.

Hiliadan

These 3 still need to be fixed.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.