A handful of ideas

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions A handful of ideas

This topic contains 17 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  jb 6 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author

jb

Hello all.

I have a few ideas I’d like to share. Most of them are subtle, some of them I’ve shared before. I understand it’s bad timing to share ideas right before a new patch, but I don’t want to forget.

-Allow starting armies to randomly include class units.
    -Allow units to Rest Heal on the strategic map. Any (living?) unit that ends turn with all it’s movement points heals an additional +2 HP. This would stack with other healing.
    -Display the actual numeric value of current research. Example: Basic Sea Faring 23/60 researched.
    -Give all boats (not embarked units) the Plunder ability. Plunder reduces the unit’s upkeep by 50% when located inside enemy domain.
    -Allow Harbor to be upgradable to Port. Port provides +5g and +25 population each turn. (This bonus could be doubled with advanced sea faring?)
    -Allow builders to chop trees without having to build a road.
    -Allow builders to destroy roads
    -Allow watchtowers to be upgradeable. Level 2 watchtower gains +2 vision, level 3 watchtower gains truesight. 40g and 200g respectively.

cheers

Jaduggar

level 3 watchtower gains truesight.

God, no… we have too much truesight as it is. Stealth is worthless, right now.

Allow starting armies to randomly include class units.

…I like this.

Allow builders to destroy roads

That seems like an odd way to get rid of roads. Also: wildly overpowered if the AI doesnt know how to build roads.

Display the actual numeric value of current research. Example: Basic Sea Faring 23/60 researched.

This would annoy me, to be honest.

-Allow starting armies to randomly include class units.
    -Allow units to Rest Heal on the strategic map. Any (living?) unit that ends turn with all it’s movement points heals an additional +2 HP. This would stack with other healing.
    -Display the actual numeric value of current research. Example: Basic Sea Faring 23/60 researched.
    -Give all boats (not embarked units) the Plunder ability. Plunder reduces the unit’s upkeep by 50% when located inside enemy domain.
    -Allow Harbor to be upgradable to Port. Port provides +5g and +25 population each turn. (This bonus could be doubled with advanced sea faring?)
    -Allow builders to chop trees without having to build a road.
    -Allow builders to destroy roads
    -Allow watchtowers to be upgradeable. Level 2 watchtower gains +2 vision, level 3 watchtower gains truesight. 40g and 200g respectively.

-Yes, that would be sweet.
    -I agree. The heal would be cool. Also A kind of “bunker down” option. Perhaps if an army spends enough time sitting in one place they could throw together a bandit camp type deal. I also feel like ending a turn in a city should heal more health than in the field. Even without a hospital its easier to get well in a warm bed 😛
    -At least as an option. I would like it but i could see how some people wouldn’t.
    -IDK just like… something. For boats.
    -Sounds cool. Needs a bit more economic value for being a trade route I feel.
    -Maybe, I mean they can clearly do it if they can build a road there.
    -Same as above. Bots already self destruct their empire when you touch it, they aren’t ready to build roads.
    -Maybe if builders could do it. The t2 could be cool, but I agree that stealth is useless as hell right now.

Having class units in the starting army is interesting, have thought about it myself but it’s very problematic and iffy balance wise.

For example a Dreadnaught could start with a machine unit that he can’t repair or he could start with a musketeer that he can’t reload or an engineer that can’t use its reload on anything and has trouble surviving due to its short range.

A Rogue starting with a Scoundrel could gain early access to a lesser Shadowstalker. Maybe not a big deal since Corrupted Killers is still required but having a few pre-leveled Scoundrels as soon as CK is ready is still more powerful compared to what other t1 skirmishers can achieve.

Then you have the Sorcerer who only has a single trainable unit which only reaches its full potential when there’s summons it can heal.

Getting an early Shaman, Evangelist, Bard or Succubuss means you can start mind controlling units from turn 1.

Too many cons I think.

Dagoth Ur

If you play ‘battle’ games, starting armies already have class-units, but never summons though (so playing Sorcerer might make you start with 5 Apprentices whereas a Warlord could get a Warbreed on turn 1).

Jolly Joker

Otherwise good ideas, though.

Jaduggar

For example a Dreadnaught could start with a machine unit that he can’t repair or he could start with a musketeer that he can’t reload or an engineer that can’t use its reload on anything and has trouble surviving due to its short range.

A Rogue starting with a Scoundrel could gain early access to a lesser Shadowstalker. Maybe not a big deal since Corrupted Killers is still required but having a few pre-leveled Scoundrels as soon as CK is ready is still more powerful compared to what other t1 skirmishers can achieve.

Then you have the Sorcerer who only has a single trainable unit which only reaches its full potential when there’s summons it can heal.

Getting an early Shaman, Evangelist, Bard or Succubuss means you can start mind controlling units from turn 1.

Too many cons I think.

These are very good points, and I would say they are good enough to have won me over. I dont think starting with class units is a good idea, anymore.

But, I would like to point out that, for me at least, those apprentices dont become useful until you unlock school of enchantment. repairing magical minions is… meh. Helpful, but certainly not the reason I train them.

Charlatan

I disagree, the actual potential comes earlier, with the empire upgrade that allows them to inflict stun.

I just return from finishing Golden Realms Map 2, where 3 stacks of apprentices grinded so many manticore and warbreed armies to shreds, the pile can be seen all the way from Evermore.

Only using Static Charge, and an occasional target spell to make sure it’s 0-1 casualties at most.

Bouh

There’s already too much heal in the game. This is a very bad idea.

Jolly Joker

Yeah, but one has nothing to do with the other: trade-off between HPs and MPs is a TRADEOFF – the healing we have is basic 6 points without any tradeoff. You could simply reduce regular “free” healing.

Thanks for sharing your ideas. However…

-Allow starting armies to randomly include class units

potentially unbalancing / too chaotic

very gamebreaking

-Display the actual numeric value of current research. Example: Basic Sea Faring 23/60 researched.<br>

fine

-Give all boats (not embarked units) the Plunder ability. Plunder reduces the unit’s upkeep by 50% when located inside enemy domain.<br>

how would this work? why would it cost less when inside an enemy domain? it would make sense for a ship to cost more when inside an enemy domain. if you want to use plunder, you should give a gold reward for plundering, since when you plunder you gain gold not have things cost less. or call the ability something else like Stasis Mode or something, where upkeep is lowered but so is movement.

-Allow Harbor to be upgradable to Port. Port provides +5g and +25 population each turn. (This bonus could be doubled with advanced sea faring?)<br>

There should be upgrades to harbor, not entirely sure if this is the right upgrade.

-Allow builders to chop trees without having to build a road.<br>

Sure

-Allow builders to destroy roads<br>

potentially gamebreaking, could work if the cost to destroy the road is high

sure, but eliminate truesight, unless you add some mana maintenance cost to it as well.

Bouh

Yeah, but one has nothing to do with the other: trade-off between HPs and MPs is a TRADEOFF – the healing we have is basic 6 points without any tradeoff. You could simply reduce regular “free” healing.

The question is, why would increase heal of unmoving stacks ? The answer is : to lose less time between fights. The problem is, this time is a critical part of the balance between classes. It’s not harmless, and it’s not only a tradeoff. You give abilities to classes which did’t have it before. This is not neutral to the balance of the game.

So why do you want to reduce the time between fights for everyone ? If you have a good balance reason for it, please explain it, but do not think this is purely cosmetic change.

@ first poster : having ideas and sharing them is great, but explaining a bit about why you think they are good ideas would be far better.

Jolly Joker

You are kidding, right?

Assuming, you reduce general healing to 5 points and extra healing (hero ability that gives another 6) to 5 points as well (but not Dracomians innate ability), and then you give +2 HPs healing for forfeiting your MPs – how would that reduce the time between fights for everyone?

Bouh

That’s entirely different now. And again, why would you do that ?

thabob79

I would like a rest until healed, the unit remain on ‘guard’ until all healable units are fully healed

Jolly Joker

That’s entirely different now. Nnd again, why would you do that ?

It’s not, it’s what I said the first time (reduce regular healing).

And why would I do that? Because, as you say, there is too much – free – Healing. Reducing FREE healing, gaining healing via trade-off is better.

thabob79

Free healing being relative, time is a ressource too.

jb

I guess class units do indeed cause some problems.

how would this work? why would it cost less when inside an enemy domain? it would make sense for a ship to cost more when inside an enemy domain. if you want to use plunder, you should give a gold reward for plundering, since when you plunder you gain gold not have things cost less. or call the ability something else like Stasis Mode or something, where upkeep is lowered but so is movement.

I think it’s a simple idea. Your upkeep is reduced because you are plundering from the enemy. If there is no enemy to plunder, then there is no upkeep bonus. It requires a bit of imagination, but the point is to keep the mechanic simple. Lower upkeep is the exact same thing as money in your purse.

Assuming, you reduce general healing to 5 points and extra healing (hero ability that gives another 6) to 5 points as well (but not Dracomians innate ability), and then you give +2 HPs healing for forfeiting your MPs – how would that reduce the time between fights for everyone?

I appreciate you defending the idea, but once we start to change one thing (to change other things) then even I’m against it. You are correct however, that the idea is a tradeoff! To me, mini choices like this are interesting when playing. You move a single hex, you lose the bonus.

Words like game-breaking are over the top hyperbole. Game altering, sure, but let’s not overstate what it is. Most players wouldn’t even notice this change. It’s very subtle.

The question is, why would increase heal of unmoving stacks ? The answer is : to lose less time between fights.

Yes, the idea of healing is to return to combat readiness. If you don’t move you can’t fight…so math vs logistics.

The situation I think would be most useful is a unit that is near death. The lengthy heal would be slightly faster for such a unit.

I would like a rest until healed, the unit remain on ‘guard’ until all healable units are fully healed

Really not a bad idea. I’m not sure there would be an easy way to implement this without making a new button though.

cheers

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.