About priests

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions About priests

Tagged: 

This topic contains 14 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  UndeadKoala 8 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

vota dc

I noticed that priests cost very little for being tier 2 units. Sometimes seems to cost less than tier 1 ranged! Also I noticed that some could be redundant: for example why orc priest give access to blight damage when all units are stuck with physical damage, goblin witch doctor has blight damage too when it is very common (irregulars, ranged, tier 3), also in AOW1 priests were always helful against units such wraiths when here only some of them seems to help to destroy nasty units that are protected from your units favored damage, a Shadow Stalker (immune to blight and protected from physical) against goblin race.

Sometimes seems to cost less than tier 1 ranged!

They have mana costs in addition to gold.

for example why orc priest give access to blight damage when all units are stuck with physical damage

I don’t follow. Why shouldn’t it have blight damage?

also in AOW1 priests were always helful against units such wraiths when here only some of them seems to help to destroy nasty units that are protected from your units favored damage, a Shadow Stalker (immune to blight and protected from physical) against goblin race.

If by “nasty” you mean units with physical protection the priests’ elemental attacks do just that, they bypass physical protection.

AwesomeLion

Hey

I think you are missing something here. They are no longer priest units, but “support” unit. Many of their strengths lay in their other abilities.

That said, having the option of non-physical attacks can often be life saving!

Hehaw

I wonder if Human Priests get a bonus to touch attacks VS Cherubs?

Shethek

@hehaw
    I see what You did der.

Hehaw

Sorry, couldn’t halp meshelf.

vota dc

Hey

I think you are missing something here. They are no longer priest units, but “support” unit. Many of their strengths lay in their other abilities.

That said, having the option of non-physical attacks can often be life saving!

Yes I noticed that they have other abilities in addition for healing, for example seems that dwarf priest heal and make units more resistant to fire. But in other games they were famous for dealing some damage to everyone because no unit had magic immunity and physical immunity at the same time while in this game seems to be some units that avoid much of regular physical damage and avoid ALL their priest damage: wisp versus elves, shadow stalker versus goblins and orcs, any beast that is immune to fire and physically protected versus draconians and dwarves etc. So no race seems self sufficient, maybe is to encourage to use spells and make multinational empire with other races or independent dwellings.

We have 1 shock, 2 blight, 2 fire….humans are spiritual I guess, so no priest with frost? Also frost seems rarer while fire is a lot more common than old games.

b0rsuk

What’s the highest level dedicated ranged unit that’s not a machine ? Level2 for Muskets ?

Hehaw

What’s the highest level dedicated ranged unit that’s not a machine ? Level2 for Muskets ?

I’m kind of wondering this as well. It looks like all of the good ranged units are Dreadnought, which is the one class that I think feels totally boring and out of place in a fantasy TBS. =/

gorlum

I think that some of the giant units have ranged attack (maybe stone giant). And, of course, 4-th level teokrat unit – shrine of smiting.

We have 1 shock, 2 blight, 2 fire….humans are spiritual I guess, so no priest with frost? Also frost seems rarer while fire is a lot more common than old games.

undead priests do frost, so it is in the game. So all the Dragons (and the Eldritch horror) do ranged breath damage, the Horned God has an awesome Lightning Attack, and the Stone Giant chucks rocks.

b0rsuk

I mean dedicated ranged units. Ranged units that
    – are not level 1
    – are not a machine
    – don’t have a melee attack or only as an afterthought

Thariorn

There is no non-machine unit which does not have some sort of melee attack.

With dedicated ranged units,you mean units classified as Archer?
    (Other unitclasses would be infantry,cavalry,support,machine,monster,giant,dragon,irregular,etc.)

If so,then there aren’t that many outside of Tier I

NEHZ

Yes, frost is rarer. This is mostly due to the races selected for the base game: draconians and dwarves have a link to fire and frostlings aren’t in yet. It does mean that at the moment, if you manage to get frost damage it’s more valuable as it’s less resisted (not to mention that all draconians have frost weakness).
    I suspect this will change when there’s dlc, but for now frost is the hard to get but good to have element.

UndeadKoala

Support units as a whole feel much stronger and more versatile than in previous games. The lack of BOOM PRIESTS saddens me greatly, though.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.