Age of Wonders 3 coming on GNU/Linux?

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Age of Wonders 3 coming on GNU/Linux?

This topic contains 19 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  jimmy 8 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Teodosio

Hello, is Age of Wonders 3 coming on GNU/Linux?
    There are many great games jumping on the boat lately; some days ago Europa Universalis IV came out with full support for GNU/Linux and it has been a great joy for me. You can’t imagine how relieved I am by not booting into Windows for a couple of weeks.
    I have been waiting for Age of Wonders 3 perhaps ten years, please don’t make me a sad Panda, give GNU/Linux some love! 😀

Keb

I’d very much like to see this happen as well; I share the same sentiments about Windows.

npic

Wow! I’m so happy to hear that AoW lives!

You know, I’m a HUGE fan of AoW I (still playing and playing it with Wine on my Debian Linux machine!) and I’m waiting for the third game with a great enthusiasm!

It would be GREAT if AoW III will be released for Linux too (and without DRM). I promise to purchase (or even pre-order, if it shall be possible) the game if developers will support the Linux!

Good luck and big thanks for the great job!

Teodosio

A LOT of great games are coming out on GNU/Linux, just to name a few:
    * Tropico 5
    * Prison Architect
    * Godus
    * Metro: Last light
    * Endless Legends (probably) – a direct competitor btw…

I really hope they are not letting us down with this…

npic

We have not heard a word on this topic from developers for a several weeks. I think, we can safely assume that there will be NO Linux port.

That’s kinda sad and disappointing 🙁

Teodosio

Valve has announced today its GNU/Linux based SteamOS, that will power a number of consoles in the very next future. It is clear to everyone that a lot of big players are going to move in this market. Several already have, many new big titles are announced to support GNU/Linux too. The era of Windows is coming to an end?
    But the real question here is: will Age of Wonders 3 come out already obsolete?

NEHZ

But the real question here is: will Age of Wonders 3 come out already obsolete?

…drama much?
    Just because the maximum target audience will increase if you spend development time on readying the game for linux, doesn’t mean it’s a fail if you don’t.
    Sometimes you have to choose between making the game better or developing for more platforms. Can you imagine how much time they would have to sacrifice to get the game released on wii-u? Having it on linux is a far cry from that sacrifice, but I hope you understand that that doesn’t mean that no sacricife is required.

I don’t want to dismiss your request as foolish, but that last line just ticked me off.

Teodosio

The IT world moves at tremendous speed. Two years ago everyone was mad about Blackberry. Today Blackberry is laying off.
    Today the gaming OS on pc is Windows. But already you can see many great players moving away from that: Valve is clearly betting everything on GNU/Linux and is pushing the other big players too. Google and Android-based (so, Linux-based) consoles are another big power. More and more games are released and announced everyday with GNU/Linux support.
    What do you believe will be the gaming OS in 2015? I am not sure yet but today I would certainly not bet on windows.

Amanoo

This game has an indie-like history, not having a publisher that gave the command to start building this game and getting a private investor. Indies tend to have more platform-independence, and as such it would suit this game well to do the same. The SteamBox/Steam Machines might prove an even better argument. It might be a good selling point if the developers made this game with those machines in mind. And let’s not forget, now that Valve, and projects like the Humble Bundle, have broken the ice, Linux is becoming a quite viable gaming platform, even if it’s a small one. Just look at the sales from Humble Bundles. About one eighth of the money that is collected comes from Linux users. It is a small fraction, but still very significant. We’re talking about millions of dollars here. One eighth of a lot is still a lot. Even if only a small percentage of Steam users already run Linux, considering how many of those Steam users there are, we’re still speaking about a very big amount of Linux users. So it is already a quite viable platform, and we can realistically say it will only continue to do so, even if one looks at it from a pessimistic point of view.

For me personally, whether or not this game gets released on Linux is THE decisive factor on whether or not I will buy this game, and I know other people who think exactly that way and I can imagine there being a great many more. Especially for a game with such focus on multiplayer. I just don’t feel like booting to that annoying Windows every time I want to play a match. When Assassin’s Creed 4 comes out, I will just borrow someone’s disc or account, quickly finish the campaign in a few days and then never bother to look at the game again.

Tomipapa

Before you port the game to another platforms, there are 3 things you have to examine:

A. How much money it costs to you.
    B. How much time do you need to make it.
    C. How much money you get from the port.

If the expected profit is more than the invested resources, then you will make that port. If not, then you won’t.

Triumph is a small studio and besides PC they already confirmed a Mac port. So i doubt they plan a Linux release simultaneously. But later it might happens
    From their twitter(28 Apr):

“Aside from PC/Mac version we don’t have Linux planned. That could change post launch if there’s enough demand for it ofcz.”

Amanoo

Well, if they are already planning to port the game to OSX, it should make a Linux port all the easier. They already have OpenGL support and support multiple architectures (including Unix-like systems, although I’m not sure how much that helps Linux since OSX and Linux still have very different architectures).

What I wonder is, since they said “if there’s enough demand for it”, how do they measure this demand.

Well, i would like to add my vote for the Linux version of the game – considering the
    SteamOS and in general the Steam presence on the Linux, it should a reasonable idea.
    The Age of Wonders was always about a long life cycle gaming. I think having a Linux port will be a) not that difficult (as it was said – the MacOS X uses already OpenGL ) b) wise in term of the long term strategy (the windows 8 is horrible…what will be next?)

Teodosio

Rome 2 support for SteamOS-GNU/Linux has been officially announced. Civ 5 support is strongly rumored. Practically, everybody is jumping on the boat.
    What about Age of Wonders 3…?

sigil

Wow, what a horrible waste of resources, instead of focusing on improving animations they are focusing on a decrepit, joke OS which has less than 3% user base.

Jesus imaginary christ!

sigil

Rome 2 support for SteamOS-GNU/Linux has been officially announced. Civ 5 support is strongly rumored. Practically, everybody is jumping on the boat.<br>
    What about Age of Wonders 3…?

What the hell is wrong with you people, what’s wrong with Steam on Windows where dozens of millions of people play?
    And WTF is wrong with Windows anyway, especially since Windows 8 came out which is the fastest, most stable, best OS Microsoft has ever released?

You all sound completely deranged.

War Troll

Wow, what a horrible waste of resources, instead of focusing on improving animations they are focusing on a decrepit, joke OS which has less than 3% user base.

Who is? They haven’t confirmed or denied anything.

Jesus imaginary christ!

Wholly Imaginary scenario!

TheSpeaker

Sigil, can you never say anything positive about anything? Is it truly that difficult for you?

Narvek replied to your continual animation bashing. He said the animation has been improved and will continue to do so. You have not seen those improvements yet, so by all means, please calm down and try to play nice.

If we’re all too deranged and incompetent for you, then please by all means, leave so that we don’t torture you further.

BlaneckW

Someone ban sigil, I at least try to be amusing when I troll.

TheSpeaker

Someone ban sigil, I at least try to be amusing when I troll.

It’s true.

You are at least endearing in your own strange way. You’ve become a witty yet somewhat cynical part of our online family. Sigil just whines endlessly.

Please, someone ban him.

jimmy

Guys, AoW3 isn’t planned for Linux (yet). We first focus on releasing for Windows. The rest is for later concern and will be based on what makes sense for us.

Now please stop the flaming. I don’t want to keep referring back to the forum policies or start banning people.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Age of Wonders 3 coming on GNU/Linux?’ is closed to new replies.