Age of Wonders III Modding Support – Adding Units, Abilities & Cosmic Happenings

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Age of Wonders III Modding Support – Adding Units, Abilities & Cosmic Happenings

This topic contains 64 replies, has 40 voices, and was last updated by  SikBok 6 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 65 total)
  • Author

Eomolch

What I have in mind is to give every hero the ability to mount/unmount on the strategic map.

You could get close if you have some h4x0r skill, but unfortunately for this mod heroes do not share a rig with regular humanoids and heroes themselves do not have unmounted animations. Sorry.

Hm, in this case I will have to think about the gains of this change before I try to mess with the game. I thought about it some more after I described my idea here and I guess it would only make sense if some abilities would only be usable unmounted/mounted to give an incentive to use unmounted heroes even when you found enough mounts for each of your heroes, but this would require to check for the existence of an ability (mounted) which I’m not sure if it’s possible.

edit: One more simple question: Will we be able to change the existing hero presets? (as part of a mod)

owenbevt3

this all looks so cool.
    The two things I most want to do is modify locations so that more of them are interesting defense options, eg defending a mine giving a ‘spell effect’ Mining Supplies so your defenders all have shatter strike and sabotage. That and importing a battlefield asset to create an Ent unit.
    I hope these will be possible.

bensku

Awesome! Cosmic happening modding will be SO useful 😀 And of course some new spells wouldn’t hurt at all, especially for custom maps…

vota dc

Will dragon mounts be possible?

Also, will we have any control over the item forge?

Finally, combining these two, would it be possible to add a feature to the dragon dwelling to let you produce wyverns and dragons as mounts?

You don’t have ox mount ingame but can use ox as a mount if you mod the game, I guess the same is for dragon.

quo

The ability to mod Cosmic Events is actually incredibly useful. It means we could create crazy mods where we create, say, a never-ending Undead Plague is constantly coming after players (in the form of an event). Or all kinds of weird things.

I wonder if you could use Cosmic Events to create a cycle of seasons or day/night cycles?

Gamling

Are we getting an easy to use hero editor? I would really like to make a bunch of new heroes that could be easy shared as mods.

Arnout
    Keymaster

this all looks so cool.
    The two things I most want to do is modify locations so that more of them are interesting defense options, eg defending a mine giving a ‘spell effect’ Mining Supplies so your defenders all have shatter strike and sabotage. That and importing a battlefield asset to create an Ent unit.
    I hope these will be possible.

Yes this is possible

Are we getting an easy to use hero editor? I would really like to make a bunch of new heroes that could be easy shared as mods.

They have a lot of properties/settings, but it’s fairly simple to add new heroes

bam65

That’s fantastic but an 86 page modding guide? Oh lord. 🙁

SikBok
    Keymaster

Triumph is the sterling example of what a modern game design/production company should be. Actively communicates with customers, listens to feedback, and supports their game by honing their vision with that of the customers.

ty *blushes*
    Please spread the word around the interwebs if you think we’re awesome. That would be much appreciated.

{modding quests … snip}

We’ve not tested ourselfs yet I think, but you should be able to mod quests. Beware, this can be both tricky and a lot of work, but I assume neither will keep people from having a go.

Other question: is it possible to use pure mount animal (manticore) for creation new unit WITHOUT rider?

I guess you can, you just don’t link a rider. Will likely make the animation a bit silly, with the invisible rider performing the actions.

Will dragon mounts be possible?

Also, will we have any control over the item forge?

Finally, combining these two, would it be possible to add a feature to the dragon dwelling to let you produce wyverns and dragons as mounts?

1) Wyvern mounts yes, actual dragons don’t have animation to support riders iirc.
    2) Item forge modding will likely be possible.
    3) Not sure if you can add an item forge to a dwelling and have it mak just a subset of items, neither if you can forge eggs/mounts.

p.s. Plan on bringing back the goblin wyvern rider by putting a marauder(-shield) on an obsidian wyvern.

Sounds like something that can be done.

SikBok
    Keymaster

edit: One more simple question: Will we be able to change the existing hero presets? (as part of a mod)

I think that should be possible.

Awesome! Cosmic happening modding will be SO useful 😀 And of course some new spells wouldn’t hurt at all, especially for custom maps…

Happy modding : D>

I wonder if you could use Cosmic Events to create a cycle of seasons or day/night cycles?

You might need some map scripting to get them to occur in the order and with the timing you want.

That’s fantastic but an 86 page modding guide? Oh lord.

If making games was easy, everyone would be doing it ; )>

Stormwind

Triumph is the sterling example of what a modern game design/production company should be. Actively communicates with customers, listens to feedback, and supports their game by honing their vision with that of the customers.

ty *blushes*
    Please spread the word around the interwebs if you think we’re awesome. That would be much appreciated.

Definetly…you guys made a few fans here!

Eomolch

I think that should be possible.

Thank you (both for the answer and that it will most likely be possible) 🙂
    I will need to remove all the starting items for my planned hero mod 😛

Yigg

I’m really looking forward to playing around with the mod tools, and hopefully building a multi-map campaign at some point. Forgive me if this has been answered already, but will it be possible to build more than one level underground? The original AoWIII campaign allowed for a second underground level, but what will be the limit on number of levels for a modded map?

Also, I see we’ll be able to customize our own heroes. Will there be an area to describe the hero’s background, similar to the way unit descriptions are handled?

bensku

In LevelEd, it is currently possible to create multiple underground and surface layers. You just have to do them MANUALLY (i.e. RMG doesn’t work), which is lots of work. If I remember correctly, maximum amount of total layers is 16 (never tried adding so many, would probably lag a lot), and with large maps… lots of terrain to create.

Gloweye

If I remember correctly, maximum amount of total layers is 16 (never tried adding so many, would probably lag a lot), and with large maps… lots of terrain to create.

Someone tried to see how many there were, and MapEd crashed somewhere around 60. So I think it’s safe to say that there’s plenty. Anyway, more than your computer can handle.

Sir Toine

someone make a juggernaut mount, quick !

Yigg

In LevelEd, it is currently possible to create multiple underground and surface layers.

Multiple surface layers, you say? That raises some interesting possibilities, perhaps for a high elevation mountainous region, or even a “floating” dragon dwelling, especially if clouds were added as impassable tiles.

At any rate, there are going to be some incredible maps to play when the modding community explores the options.

bensku

Yes, multiple surface layers. And you can change the look of terrain per layer, so this is definately very interesting. It already works, while use cases are limited before we get custom unit support.

New dimensions, that’s it 🙂

Hellforger

Aewsomefest! But I have a simple and very greedy question…will it be possible to create a new Class or a new Race from scratch? Given I have the modelling and texturing skills to create custom models and/or combine bits from existing art? ^_^ And I mean not replacing an existing race and class, but actually adding a custom one with the support from the selection screen. Would that be possible?

A possitive answer would mean a perpetual longevity for the game 😮

Thariorn

Would that be possible?

Oh pretty please.

Would love to use my ideas on that topic ~

Braneman

How hard would it be to add in an entirely new damage type? I have plans for resistances but before I start thinking about it more I want to know if it will even be possible.

Wallthing

How hard would it be to add in an entirely new damage type? I have plans for resistances but before I start thinking about it more I want to know if it will even be possible.

I think even the developers have said that adding a new damage type would be far too much work for them. A clever enough modder might manage it but, being clever, said modder would probably decide it wouldn’t be worth the necessary effort of jury-rigging, re-balancing, etc.

Mourioche

Is it possible to make a mod like “Brave New World” was for AoW-SM ?
    http://aggelonware.free.fr/aowsm/BNW%20v2.0%20Readme.htm
    http://aow.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=33,5246,,60
    If you know this mod, you know that lot of units (3D model) where imported from other games (like world of warcraft; for example)
    As i just read, we can only modify already defined units; not import new one ?

Gloweye

If you know this mod, you know that lot of units (3D model) where imported from other games (like world of warcraft; for example)

Note: AoW SM used sprites, not 3D models. It’s easy to convert a model to a sprite though, so the WoW imports make sense to me.(not that I know anything about WoW…)

auris12

Hey guys just a few questions;

Do you know if it will be possible to change hero starting items. E.g different mounts or having a Druid start with a staff or sword as opposed to the spear/bow?

Do we also know if there will be any more customisable options for character creation like new items/outfits.

Finally do you know if it’ll be possible to for example have a human hero but have high elves as the starting race?

Tombles
    Keymaster

Tombles
    Keymaster

Do you know if it will be possible to change hero starting items. E.g different mounts or having a Druid start with a staff or sword as opposed to the spear/bow?

Yes, you can. The guide contains information on making your own recruitable heroes, you can specify starting equipment, appearance and mount. You can even combine races by giving a goblin a human head, through it might look really weird 🙂

Do we also know if there will be any more customisable options for character creation like new items/outfits.

Modding does theoretically allow people to add more customization options, I’m not sure how easy it is to do it though.

Finally do you know if it’ll be possible to for example have a human hero but have high elves as the starting race?

That’s not possible no. Modding lets you modify content in the game, like units, spells, classes and skills and things, typically you cannot use modding to change gameplay mechanics like this, because those things are all hardcoded in C++.

Gloweye

Druid start with a staff or sword as opposed to the spear/bow?

Yes.

long time wonderer finally signed up to say can we get a full round of standing applause for the people behind the scenes, pretty much just iced the cake imo.

this community is a pretty darn swell one and will deliver many many wonderful mods to suit the ages.

Fizzbitch

How about adding new heroes that have the base and/or animation of other, regular units? That should start them out as infantry and those units have the animation to become mounted.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 65 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.