Age of Wonders without any wonders!

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Age of Wonders without any wonders!

This topic contains 10 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  smeagolheart 7 years ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Necrobash

It’s strange that there are no wonders to be built. I think adding wonders to the game would add another strategical layer to an already well thought-out game.

Gloweye

wonders as Civ knows them is a rather small definition of a broad term.

wonders in general can be everything wondrous…

Necrobash

And wonders are definitely wondrous, that’s why they should be in this game.

The Hunter

Sounds like a reasonable thing to add

Charlatan

Anything directly copying other 4x is unlikely to be seen.

And I approve.

AOW3 is it’s own unique 4X title that doesn’t give in to generalized crap like all the rest does. That’s why AOW3 is fun to keep playing, while Civilization is not.

Still, I’d enjoy a different form of unique buildings, in some form.

Since Age of Wonders is primarily a combat-driven game, building large unique structures doesn’t seem to be a good fit in my opinion. The global quests can be seen as this game’s take on the first come first served race that building wonders does in Civilization.

I know the issue of time can be confusing (summer of love; turns only take one day) but that is another reason large construction projects would seem weird. A better fit for Age of Wonders would be for any “wonders” to be randomly placed unique structures that give unique benefits to whoever holds them or builds a city that can work them. This style of wonder would fit in better with the exploration and conquest aspects of Age of Wonders. Then again, mythic treasure sites already kind of do what I would imagine these new wonders would do.

The idea of a buildable structure that becomes disabled for everyone else once you have built it isn’t something that would enhance the game in my opinion. If such structures were added, I would probably treat them similarly to how I treat wonders in Civilization: the player just announced that they aren’t building a military. Time to invade. In Age of Wonders this would be an even better strategy than in Civilization, since this game generally encourages growth, expansion, and conflict, while Civilization penalizes these things in many ways.

Gloweye

A better fit for Age of Wonders would be for any “wonders” to be randomly placed unique structures that give unique benefits to whoever holds them or builds a city that can work them.

This is actually completely possible with the mod tools. We can tell the RMG to maintain a certain distance between multiple structures of the same type, so if you put that to a high number you’ll only get 1 at most.

Well the beacon of unity is kinda of like a wonder.

Necrobash

I agree that building wonders wouldn’t mesh well with the game, but finding them on the map and working them to gain certain unique units or spells or attributes is a fantastic idea.

I agree that building wonders wouldn’t mesh well with the game, but finding them on the map and working them to gain certain unique units or spells or attributes is a fantastic idea.

This is already essentially how mystical city upgrades work, which unlock units (e.g. Feathered Serpent) and grant special abilities to different units.

smeagolheart

You can like find the Statue of Liberty and zomg it was earth all along! Take your stinking paws off me you damn dirty tigrans!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.