AI will use healing showers ability on their foes

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Modding and Map Making AI will use healing showers ability on their foes

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Eomolch 6 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Eomolch

Hi everyone, so just as the title says I created a copy of the healing showers spell which does exactly the same just as an ability (apart from the heal amount which is less) and it turns out the AI will also use the ability on their opponent’s units, even if there isn’t an own injured unit nearby. Also in that particular situation the target unit didn’t have any fire buffs, so that can’t be the reason either.

I double checked that the settings are the same like for healing showers and now I am kinda out of guesses. So if anyone has an idea what may have went wrong, I am happy about any suggestion 🙂

Gloweye

Make sure you have the Primary Ability effect set right. If it’s set to a hostile effect, the AI will assume it’s a damaging effect and use it as such. Since spells don’t have a Primary effect, they’re being classified differently.

Eomolch

Hey Gloweye, thank you for your response. I couldn’t really test this yet, but if what you say is true it should solve the problem. May I ask how you could figure out that the primary effect influences AI behavior? I always assumed it was only relevant for the damage/resistance check preview.

Gloweye

Not 100% sure about the damage previews(since I never checked it), but I’m pretty sure the AI uses it to decide what an ability does. In this case, I’d select the Heal effect. If you’re using the same effect as the other heals, AI should understand it. It won’t consider fire debuffs in it’s targeting, but I think that that’s a minor use of Healing Showers anyway.

As for how it works, it’s partly because I always make all my abilities from scratch nowadays(no copy-pasting), and I’ve never had this problem. Partly because the Catapults(= trebuchet with miss chance) is used correctly by the AI. That changes the Hurl Boulder ability to be able to miss vs non-machine units, but primary effect is still the damage effect. However, if you look at how the ability itself works, it has a resistance check, but applies a non-hostile status effect on success and damage on failure(therefore hitting more often if defense is higher, which generally means it’s a bigger unit/target).

Not that I’m 100% sure that this is the problem in your case – I can’t see the ability without a screenshot. It’s just something that’s easy to miss when building an ability.

Eomolch

Just for the record, it turned out I already set the heal effect as primary effect, so this wasn’t the problem. In the end, I “fixed” the problem, by making the ability short range, since I noticed the AI only used it when the targets were too far away for its ranged attack. (since aow attacks have 1 hex more range than single target attacks)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.