All About the Age of Wonders III Level Editor

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Modding and Map Making All About the Age of Wonders III Level Editor

This topic contains 98 replies, has 54 voices, and was last updated by  Gloweye 3 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 99 total)
  • Author

jpinard

Narvek , Lennart, Arnout, Tibbles, Toggles, Tombles, anyone at Triumph… desperately need this question answered:

I’ve made a custom independent faction with it’s own city, set it’s city options to be an advanced development, with a nice starting stone wall and it has its own troops (both guarding the city and 2 other stacks). What I can’t figure out is if the Independent has the same gold/mana upkeep requirements for troops like a normal Leader and the Player, or if it’s governed by a different set of rules? The Independent “Named” faction I created, who has troops surrounded by gold piles won’t pick any up, and in fact – the stack won’t even move. I’d assumed if you created a Named Independent faction with their own city and troops they would act exactly like a major Leader… just minus any Heroes or Leader. But without knowing the answer to this it pretty much messed up my entire scenario design.

Also – what/where is the setting to have an army stack stay on the hex it begins in? <— nm I figured this one out.

In group settings – What is the difference between a “Raid Group“, a “Brigand Group“, and a “Mercenary Group“?

Also – What is the process to creating a spawn group that has a 50% chance of showing up in a game? Or one that shows up after XX number of turns?

Thanks! 🙂

jpinard

I think something is not working right with the editor. I’ve set the above mentioned Independent “Orc town” group to patrol, to hate everyone, and to defend their territory. But the units are not moving nor attacking anyone that enters. If you look at Fai Dural’s main stack, that Orc army of 4 units right above him is supposed to be attacking. But it’s just sat in the same position all game. Savefile

The latest revision of the scenario is here with some added test troops: Racial Affinity

Mediin

Can anyone reupload the PSD-Templace of the campaign map? It’s not up anymore and i want it.

Sunicle

In group settings – What is the difference between a “Raid Group“, a “Brigand Group“, and a “Mercenary Group“?

In the AoW II editor there was a ‘raider’ setting, for independents who roamed around and would raze structures that belonged to players. There were also groups who you could hire for gold, that must be the mercenary setting.
    Brigand groups could be hostiles but ones that don’t raze structures like raiders.

That’s what I’m assuming from what I remember from the AoW SM editor. There were more settings in that editor, I believe you could leave it open, then it depended on your alignment whether they wanted to join you or fight you.
    There was also a ‘berserk’ setting, this meant they would attack you regardless, no matter if they had zero chance of winning.
    I don’t know if all these settings have been recycled in this editor, I haven’t looked much at it yet, but I hope so.

jpinard

Thanks Sunicle – that makes sense except how “Patrol” fits in. I’ve created some large Independent AI stacks to Patrol… one Indp. Giant group just sits there and refuses to move, while in another region Indp. Dragon’s do attack, and yet another region Orc Indepedant Orcs wander around but don’t attack.

Tibbles

Please don’t confuse me for a Triumph dev, I work at a different (Dutch) developer 😛

I’ll have a look at your file later today and see if I can help you figure it out 🙂
    I’m interested in making maps myself and looking at yours will help me too! I think I’ll for more mod tools before actually making anything though. (I started the editor and saw I can’t place purple lights, plan ruined haha)

Sunicle

Thanks Sunicle – that makes sense except how “Patrol” fits in. I’ve created some large Independent AI stacks to Patrol… one Indp. Giant group just sits there and refuses to move, while in another region Indp. Dragon’s do attack, and yet another region Orc Indepedant Orcs wander around but don’t attack.

The giant group that just sits there I can’t explain.

In the previous game we had ‘guard’, ‘guard area’ and ‘patrol’. ‘Guard’ meant they would just defend the tile they were put on and never leave it. ‘Guard area’ meant they would move to attack you when you entered the area, but would afterwards move back to the tile they were put on. ‘Patrol’ meant they weren’t assigned to a specific tile and would wander around. They would attack you if they had decent odds, but not if they were weak. Your dragons attacking, but not your orcs has probably to do with their relative strength.

jpinard

Sunicle – having your reference helped me a ton and it makes sense. I think the Giant stack I made is bugged since I change it so many times so I deleted it and made a new one and now they’re aggressive angry and try to kill anyone within 5 hexes 🙂

Question – if I make custom Leaders and heroes for the scenario I’m making – will they show up in other people’s games who download my scenario?

jpinard

I got all my custom Leaders working but for some reason when I customize the linked Hero, it doesn’t change the looks of the Leader. Anyone know why that might be?

jpinard

Someone please help.

I can’t get the custom leaders to look like they should. Am I doing the process wrong somehow? Here’s what I did.

1. Clone Hero of proper race/class/gender
    2. Changed name in the clone and changed the everything on the looks tab to match the settings I wrote down earlier when in custom Leader design of normal game (not editor since you can’t see them)
    3. Hero is saved, then went to Leader panel and created a custom Leader.
    4. Tied Custom Leader to the hero I created.
    5. And… they look exactly like they did when I started. None of the custom looks from the Hero set are working.

Shiara384

The editor looks really confusing. How do I use it? I mean..Yeah, And can you generate a random map in the editor or not?

jpinard

The editor looks really confusing. How do I use it? I mean..Yeah, And can you generate a random map in the editor or not?

You can’t generate random maps in it yet. After you select the size and new map, it will do just grass terrain. Start building out your map from there with different terrain types.

Shiara384

I’ll wait till It can do random map stuff, if I try, My map might come out looking like some kinda psychadelic clown map.

jpinard

Someone please help.

I can’t get the custom leaders to look like they should. Am I doing the process wrong somehow? Here’s what I did.

1. Clone Hero of proper race/class/gender<br>
    2. Changed name in the clone and changed the everything on the looks tab to match the settings I wrote down earlier when in custom Leader design of normal game (not editor since you can’t see them)<br>
    3. Hero is saved, then went to Leader panel and created a custom Leader.<br>
    4. Tied Custom Leader to the hero I created.<br>
    5. And… they look exactly like they did when I started. None of the custom looks from the Hero set are working.

Figured out what the issue is above. Once you set a Leader with their associated Hero, no matter how many graphic changes you do to the Hero after that they will not show up in the game. You have to take that leader, link them to a different Hero. Exit that screen, then bring it back up and then put your original Hero back into that Leader slot. Then the changes will finally show up in the game.

Narvek
    Keymaster

Sorry for the late answer.. the flu seems to be spreading through the studio, and I took some days off to re-energize after the launch.

What I can’t figure out is if the Independent has the same gold/mana upkeep requirements for troops like a normal Leader and the Player, or if it’s governed by a different set of rules?

No upkeep requirements, and the city cannot rebel.

The Independent “Named” faction I created, who has troops surrounded by gold piles won’t pick any up, and in fact – the stack won’t even move.

What do you mean when you say independent faction? A city? Every indie city becomes it’s own ‘player side’. Stacks belonging to that player will be governed by the normal city defense AI. Adding stacks to that side that are far away from the city could lead to issues where the AI doesn’t know how to handle them. Indies don’t pick up gold since it’s of no use to them, it’s possible you blocked their movement with the piles.
    They will behave just like any city.

Also – What is the process to creating a spawn group that has a 50% chance of showing up in a game? Or one that shows up after XX number of turns?
    Thanks!

Both of those require scripting. It’s not going to be straightforward to implement a 50% chance, but for them to show up after X turns is easy.
    I hope to release the script commands really soon, it really don’t like it has been delayed this long, but.. busy times, sorry!
    An important thing to note is that groups you create should only really be used for 1 stack, at the most 2-3 stacks that are placed close together. If you assign multiple stacks to the same group and place them a number of hexes apart they will probably not display the correct behavior.

The rest seems answered already. Good luck!

Coldsteel

Players can create their add their own campaign maps. We have a layered PSD template of the campaign map here (50MB).

I can’t download this. The site says it’s no longer available. Triumph, can you please make this available again? Or can someone else that has it please host the file somewhere?

jpinard

An important thing to note is that groups you create should only really be used for 1 stack, at the most 2-3 stacks that are placed close together. If you assign multiple stacks to the same group and place them a number of hexes apart they will probably not display the correct behavior.

Wow I’m glad you mentioned that. I bet that’s why some units aren’t moving at all then. If you don’t mind I’ll bullet a few more questions:

* Can Independent cities (I ahve them set to hate:everyone) spawn new units to send out and create havoc? Or is what they start out with all they get?

* Some Independent stacks stay together and some split. For instance I have a stack that is 1 mother spider and her 5 babies. I wanted them to stay together, but they all run around on their own increasing the amount of time it takes for a turn to finish since it’s now looking at 6 units instead of 1. I fully understand group options now – so is there a group option that keeps them together?

* I do understand a lot of scripting. Could you post the one for units to show up after X amount of time? That would ease turn time issues in my game tremendously instead of having 50 roving units. If you wanted to not write it out, just make a super fast Youtube video of you doing it. You don’t even need to narrate it and I should be able to figure it out.

* I have a unit set to hateall brigand, hex distance 100, no sleep, etc. Basically I wanted him to patrol the underground tunnels and kill whoever he came across but he’s not moving. Any idea why this might be? He does start about 30 hexes down a long tunnel so I don’t know if that’s an issue.

jpinard

* One more – I’d like to create a hotspot that triggers a stack of units to appear somewhere other than that spot like 10 hexes away so it’s not obvious to the player that this is a pop-up unit, but appears to be a wandering unit they happened upon. How would I do that?
    * Tow more – Do independent armies use activation portals and caves tunnel to go up down levels if they’ve have been used by anybody yet?

• This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by  President.

jureidinim

* One more – I’d like to create a hotspot that triggers a stack of units to appear somewhere other than that spot like 10 hexes away so it’s not obvious to the player that this is a pop-up unit, but appears to be a wandering unit they happened upon. How would I do that?<br>
    * Tow more – Do independent armies use activation portals and caves tunnel to go up down levels if they’ve have been used by anybody yet?

In the same boat you are … anxiously waiting on the scripting commands.

I believe in the video they released on this site showing the editor, towards the end there is a shot of some scripting commands (i think same commands are in a forum link on this site as well) which, from what i can see, sets the group behaviour of a stack. The editor has a trigger (Create Area trigger) that you can place on the map, then you add the OnStackEntry function to it (may be differently named – i am at work now typing this).
    With what i see in the editor so far as well as from that one screenshot in the video, I think it should be possible to:

1) Set a Trigger using the Create Area Trigger on the map to be activated by Player
    2) set your “ambush” stack some distance away – give it a starting behaviour of guard (so it doesnt move)
    3) Add the OnStackEntry function to the trigger
    4) Use those script commands seen in the video to change the behaviour of the “ambush” stack to something more aggressive (raid, Patrol). This is entered in the OnStackentry function.

However, I have tried this.. and it didnt work. Guess I am still missing something.

So, I am waiting on the scripting commands to be publish. I hope it is soon as editing maps and making my own scenarios was one of the big reasons I got this game.

Players can create their add their own campaign maps. We have a layered PSD template of the campaign map here (50MB).

I can’t download this. The site says it’s no longer available. Triumph, can you please make this available again? Or can someone else that has it please host the file somewhere?

Please? Anyone?

ed57ve

Bump for christ sake i want that template :/

I thought i had lost the file, but when going through my downloads today I rediscovered it and remembered that “Some guy with a strange name wants this, right?”

I uploaded it to OneDrive for ya bud, link will be live forever… unless Microsoft suddenly disappear…. fat chance of that happening :]

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=D17A5F2679119A6%212898

SikBok
    Keymaster

The link on the ‘All About …’ page has been fixed.
    You can also get the file directly here.

El_Myke

Hi
    I have started to work with the map editor a few days ago and now I have some general questions:

– When I place a structure on the map, I can only turn it in two directions. The other directions are blocked? normal?

– When I clone an existing Hero to edit the clone creating my own hero, I can only see his firtsname to change. And when I want to type in the new first- and lastname in this column there is often not enough space. How can I cange the whole name.

– I place some Independent units and want to make them very agressive, but I can not change their behavior. It is set on “Auto”. How can I change the behavior?

At the moment I read a lot of tutorials and forum posts. So maybe I can answer some of this questions by myself.
    But If one you can help, I will save much time =)

Thanks

Max

Narvek
    Keymaster

Hi<br>
    I have started to work with the map editor a few days ago and now I have some general questions:

– When I place a structure on the map, I can only turn it in two directions. The other directions are blocked? normal?

Normal. Some structures have different settings, but most indeed only 2 options (some like the Inn only 1).

– When I clone an existing Hero to edit the clone creating my own hero, I can only see his firtsname to change. And when I want to type in the new first- and lastname in this column there is often not enough space. How can I cange the whole name.

You cannot indeed, you’ll have to choose a hero whose surname/nickname you like to clone, or create a new one (and then don’t have the surname) I’m afraid.

– I place some Independent units and want to make them very aggressive, but I can not change their behavior. It is set on “Auto”. How can I change the behavior?

If you want to make them aggressive change their player to Independent(Hate All).

If you want to assign them behavior: make sure to only give 1 stack that behavior and go the left side of the screen the leftmost tab ‘Groups’ and add a new group: add a behavior to that group and add the stack to that group (only 1 group/behavior per stack, sometimes we have guard01, guard02, guard03 groups for 3 stacks that need to guard for example).

Have fun making maps 🙂

El_Myke

Okay thanks for your help =)

Love this “group” feature… helped me so much =)

Charlatan

For modest requests like this, I don’t mind throwing on teamviewer or something to help out. It’s really quite simple at the second look.

Hell, actually I already had a tutorial for LevelEd basics done, but scrapped it due to being non-english and lacking clear pronunciation.

On the other hand, do I remember correctly that Triumph already had this covered? Editor basics with a small elven village and a blighted goblin town, and a hidden onyx dragon.

Andysaurus

Can anyone tell me how to stop the editor freezing up. It boots up ok, but when I try and create a new map, etc, it just goes and hangs up. Am using Windows XP with 3GB ram and a (new) Geforce GT 740 1GB fast ram GDDR5 video card, game updated to Golden Realms expansion.

jolli-chan

I’ve already worked with the previous AoW editors, when porting the AoW1 scenario map “After the Fall” to AoWSM. Now I’m planning this for AoW3. Started with map creating and read/watched the tutorials, but my main question was not answered, yet:

How to manage different language editions? I’m using the German version of the game.

I guess the default objects, units, heroes, leaders, which come with the game, will be translated automatically. But what about map description, city names etc.? I guess I will have to provide a separate file each language German and English or is there an option to use both languages in one scenario map file?

What is the menu option “Content” > “Languages”? Is it used for campaigns? What about scenario maps?

…and haven’t found a leader/hero gallery.

Thanks a lot.

bensku

I’ve already worked with the previous AoW editors, when porting the AoW1 scenario map “After the Fall” to AoWSM. Now I’m planning this for AoW3. Started with map creating and read/watched the tutorials, but my main question was not answered, yet:

How to manage different language editions? I’m using the German version of the game.

I guess the default objects, units, heroes, leaders, which come with the game, will be translated automatically. But what about map description, city names etc.? I guess I will have to provide a separate file each language German and English or is there an option to use both languages in one scenario map file?

What is the menu option “Content” > “Languages”? Is it used for campaigns? What about scenario maps?

…and haven’t found a leader/hero gallery.

Thanks a lot.

This is really late reply, but I hope it still helps. I was wondering same things when I saw that “Languages” option in editor menu couple of months ago.

It allows you to add your own XML localization files for campaigns and probably scenarios also. The format of XML files is same as official .8ld files. Wait, are they XML? Yes, they’re XOR encrypted XML files. If you decrypt them (see this post), you can see the format…

It appears that the file is Excel XML that is somehow extracted from usual compressed body. Openoffice CAN’T open that file, I tried it. It is still very possible to make custom one based on information found there.

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 99 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.