Announcing Patch V1.4 (now in Public Beta on Steam)

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Announcing Patch V1.4 (now in Public Beta on Steam)

This topic contains 233 replies, has 76 voices, and was last updated by  Gloweye 7 years ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 234 total)
  • Author

Tasslehoff

Good news but … still no PBEM 🙁

Tibbles

I’m very sad about elementals, at least on the surface. They seem much weaker. Frost / Water elemental with 40% physical weakness is going to hurt a lot. Also a lot of the other weaknesses seem overdone, ie earth with 60% shock and bight weakness. That makes them really hard to use. Wish resistances / weaknesses overall were not so dramatic.

Yeah don’t worry, elementals are NOT weak at all, those weaknesses don’t mean much. Frost elementals for example come with defender and inflict freezing and frost aura. They will tear your army to bits 😛

LordTheRon

@syntax_vi betapatch will be up till release.

And elementals are still quite strong, but you need to take their strenghts and weaknesses into consideration more. With Golden Realms you get the Wild Magic sphere that summons you lesser elementals that grow into full elementals. You’ll see them much more and imho they’re much more colorful now.

Leyrann

I gave up only in the misc part.

LordTheRon

Good news but … still no PBEM :(

I know how you feel. I really want PBEM badly too, but it was promised and it IS coming. We just gotta have some more patience.

madmac

Mother of God.

I’ll just throw this out here right now. I don’t have to play test to know the new scoundrels are really good. Each race feels distinct now except Draconians, and they’re already the strongest rogue race prior to this patch. So yeah, I’m switching races and using scoundrels again!

Well done team. Why don’t you guys just take the day tomorrow. Go play golf or hang out with the kids. Lol

I just did a quick test game so I could try out the new Scoundrel evolution mechanic/unit.

Ahahahahahahaha. Between that and the concealment change, Scoundrels for life.

Ricminator

Yeah I am going to love this patch. There is so much good stuff in, especially the human archers. Always liked them and now even more.

The item forge updates are also really appreciated.

But those elementals (including shadow stalkers) sound scary, especially what they resist.
    We will really fear those rogues in the future. But that was the plan, was it not?
    Hopefully banish still works on them, altough shadow stalker also got an resistance update. Chance of hitting will lower then( it never was that much).

Well normally I wait till a patch is official, but maybe I will start testing this next week.

Why does it talk about guard bonuses in terms of percentages? Guard gives +2 defense and resistance, and I didn’t see anything else in the patch notes to indicate otherwise

Epaminondas

“Non-Hero units can now continue levelling up beyond “Elite”. Each subsequent level grants a rank of Champion, giving the unit +10 max hitpoints. This to prevent units from becoming unused at max level for players that like to min/max XP in TC, because XP would be wasted.”

Very nice – though I would’ve preferred a more varied stat-line increase.

@ Epaminondas, I was hoping you were still about.

I had an offer for you…

Why does it talk about guard bonuses in terms of percentages? Guard gives +2 defense and resistance, and I didn’t see anything else in the patch notes to indicate otherwise

There is a new trait called “Defender” that boosts the value of Guard.

I think Guard is a default 20% bonus of your defence and resistance (but always a minimum of +2/+2?), but Defender raises it to 40%.

IIRC, Last Stand gives it to a unit, and Crusaders have it by default.

I think Guard is a default 20% bonus of your defence and resistance (but always a minimum of +2/+2?), but Defender raises it to 40%.

I am 99% certain that, at least prior to 1.4, Guard is +2 defense and resistance. The description of Last Stand explicitly says +2 defense.

So is this an undocumented change?

Does that mean we can only try it for today? Or will the beta patch be up until its official release?

It has no time limit. Once the patch goes live, it becomes the new base game. When it is live, that is when GoG users get it.

Theocrat’s still cannot natively heal shrines, only with builders now?

That’s one more way than they could before. Bear in mind that their power comes from devout units about, they aren’t “tanks” in the normal sense of the word.

Arcane binding is 100% success rate? That seems really powerful.

But works for 2 turns only.

I’m very sad about elementals, at least on the surface. They seem much weaker. Frost / Water elemental with 40% physical weakness is going to hurt a lot. Also a lot of the other weaknesses seem overdone, ie earth with 60% shock and bight weakness. That makes them really hard to use. Wish resistances / weaknesses overall were not so dramatic.

Having used the new Elementals, my view is pretty much the exact opposite.

If anything, they are slightly OP, because they cost so very little. For 150 mana you get powerful units, with awesome strengths, and awesome vulnerabilities.

In the LP I’ll be going over them and explaining why I like them so much.

DO you have ETA when we can watch the “Lets play”?

1st part is going up as we speak. I’ll break them down into 10-20 minute sections. So far:

Hafling moustaches
    partisan overview
    wild magic adept overview

2nd part will be:

wild magic mastery overview
    lesser and full Elemental changes
    Scoundrels into lesser stalkers, and lesser stalker stats

So yeah, I’m switching races and using scoundrels again!

mission accomplished. Hopefully this shows why I was so against Rogue healing lol.

I am 99% certain that, at least prior to 1.4, Guard is +2 defense and resistance. The description of Last Stand explicitly says +2 defense.

I think it was always 20% it’s just that it’s rare that it translates into more than a +2/2 bonus because you’d need 15 def to get +3 (20% or 1/5 of). Last stand actually adds +2 def to the unit in addition to its other buffs, that part of its description’s got nothing to do with guard mode.

One of my favorite combos now is orcish martyr (racial +5hp) + orcish crusader (orcsaders get tireless).

Since absorb pain was buffed use it on Crusader, send it to the front, leave it in guard mode and just apply heals to the Martyr itself. It might even be worth it to pick absorb pain on Theocrat heroes now (make them an item with regrowth if you can) but you gotta be careful.

Didymus1492

Non-Hero units can now continue levelling up beyond “Elite” and the level cap for Heroes has been razed.

Bad homonym. “raised” not “razed”
    When I read that I thought “No maximum hero level? Dayum!”

LordTyrael

@Lennart Sas I am impressed, mortal.

Garresh

Lol I like how the SHADOW STALKER resistance buff is underneath the THEOCRAT heading… I wonder what matchup that buff was aimed at? ;D

Bur honestly I’m more impressed with they way they’ve consistently gone through and fixed every sub par unit and ability for most every class. Like 70% of my complaints about “filler” abilities have been addressed, and some of the changes to Theocrat look like they might make them more of a lategame threat as well so the dynamics of that matchup look more fun overall. I need to check with my theocrat informants though, as I don’t personally touch the class.

Inb4 “Where did the theocrat touch you?” jokes at my expense.

Garresh

Also, perhaps I’m reading too much into this, but does anyone think the ability to level beyond Elite is a really large buff for the power level classes like Theocrat lategame? Well maybe not that large, but I can see this being utilized to great effect.

Jomungur

Also, perhaps I’m reading too much into this, but does anyone think the ability to level beyond Elite is a really large buff for the power level classes like Theocrat lategame? Well maybe not that large, but I can see this being utilized to great effect.

Could be. But remember, that’s a lot of experience. And remember that theocrats are not going to powerlevel quite as well, especially early, since it’s harder to get the priest/healing combo set up. They may not even try for it with the new crusaders.

I’m more worried about the swimming human assassins in rivers with water concealment- how exactly will you wrest control of the waterways from them? :).

Garresh

ALSO one last thing. With the new scoundrel and AI changes, its likely we won’t be hemorrhaging units anymore, but I still see us as creeping slower than other classes and having some issues with unit preservation. In fact, I rather hope this is the case, as it creates an interesting dynamic for rogues in regards to leveling scoundrels and shooting for evolutions. This is purely conjecture at this point, but in theory this direction of rogue with a still notable absense of healing feels like the right way to address our various issues.

Sadist1

With the summon fantastic creature to 110, you almost made the sorcerer unplayable with that single change (especially considering how broken theocrat’s sustain is and because you decided to add a bunch of gold medal bonuses and champion to everything)

At least give us a higher chance to summon the Watcher for it?
    Or buff the wisp HP so it doesn’t get 1 shot by half the spells.

On the other hand the Rogue’s capacity for trolling and ganking increased by ~67% with all the concealment added to scoundrels, assassins and stalkers. Rogue players will find comfort in that.

madmac

As I said, I did a quick test game with Rogue…with the new AI changes, I think finding the right composition to keep scoundrels alive will be key to working the evo strat.

Pure Scoundrels+Hero is kind of a bad combo now, (For autoresolve) because your hero will generally hide behind the Scoundrels and snipe, whereas mixing in a frontline unit to tank hits is probably viable. I wonder how Scoundrels mixed with Cav would do…

The concealment changes are really nice though, and add a lot of flavor. Human Pirate Assassins and net chucking Scoundrels is kinda awesome now.

Druid is also looking really good with all the direct/indirect buffs to Shamans, and Theocrat is making me want to play them more with all their early class units buffed.

Epaminondas

@ Epaminondas, I was hoping you were still about.

I had an offer for you…

What offer?

As for my presence: I’ve checked back once every week or so the last few months. (There was simply too long a hiatus between the last update and this one, so I got frustrated and lost interest briefly.) But I suspect I will check daily once again the DLC is out and once (I hope) we are back to a more regular, rapid update schedule.

freese2112

Garresh – what do you mean by “power level classes”? Just not sure why the Theo’s would have an advantage in this case, except they tend to be loose less with all of the on-battlefield healing, which would theoritically have a greater percentage of units survive longer to take advantage of the “champion” status.

As I understand the mechanic, you have to earn as much experience as it takes to go from “green” to elite, and because that takes more experience for the higher the level the unit, this seems to help make it easier for the T1 & T2 units continue to ramp up and stay competitive longer. It would seem this would help especially help the “better” T1/T2 units like the Elven longbows & Unicorn Riders, Sorcerer Apprentices, Berzerkers, and Orc Black Knights.

freese2112

With the summon fantastic creature to 110, you almost made the sorcerer unplayable with that single change (especially considering how broken theocrat’s sustain is and because you decided to add a bunch of gold medal bonuses and champion to everything)

At least give us a higher chance to summon the Watcher for it?<br>
    Or buff the wisp HP so it doesn’t get 1 shot by half the spells.

I would tend to think this incentivises the Sorcerer player to summon more Phantasm Warriors instead of just going with Fantastic Creature 100% of the time. In addition, the changes to the Node Serpent make it much more useful at the same “price range” from a casting point perspective.

I definitely think it will slow down the Sorcerer player, which in the big scheme of things isn’t necessarily a bad thing IMO.

Garresh

“power leveling” is the of leveling up to the exclusion of all else. Its an MMO term typically, but Druids and Theocrats, which have innate healing on their leadership are very good at getting units leveled up quickly. Dreads are good at this too, but more because of heavy armor than anything. Basically, the classes that clear most efficiently will likely get more bang for their buck out of their high level troops now. That was all I was really suggesting.

I definitely think it will slow down the Sorcerer player, which in the big scheme of things isn’t necessarily a bad thing IMO.

I don’t know if it will actually. It just made other Summons more viable, and made Fantastic creature less of an obvious choice.

Now you can throw the dice for a watcher (1/3 chance) or go the secure route of a Node Serpent.

@ Garresh, it feels like a different game lol:).

@ Epaminondas, I know you were sceptical about changes and dlc, is this still the case?

freese2112

Thanks Garresh! That makes total sense.

I haven’t played the game a ton, but it’ll be interesting to see if delaying the T2 supports to the Temple will impact this. I wouldn’t think it would be a significant difference for SP games, and when I did play Theo it’s REALLY easy to get a ridiculous amount of healing on the board. Factor in the change where the Martyr is only taking something like 2/3 or 3/4 (forget the exact %) using Absorb Pain, and that could get make the Theo’s just ridiculously “tarpit-ish”.

FrankA

Great job to all that were involved in creating this patch, can’t wait to get Golden Realms next week.

Frank

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 234 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.