Announcing Patch V1.4 (now in Public Beta on Steam)

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Announcing Patch V1.4 (now in Public Beta on Steam)

This topic contains 233 replies, has 76 voices, and was last updated by  Gloweye 7 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 234 total)
  • Author

Sleepypanda

Frankly, this looks awesome, and it’s great to see that the development team is willing to do so much to improve the base game.

Keep up the good work.

Today we discover that it’s twelve euros for update.

May I ask for the source on this? Steam doesn’t seem to have the info and there’s no update on the previous news post (still mentioned as TBD) nor a new news post on the matter.

drogon223

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Sadist1 wrote:</div>
    With the summon fantastic creature to 110, you almost made the sorcerer unplayable with that single change (especially considering how broken theocrat’s sustain is and because you decided to add a bunch of gold medal bonuses and champion to everything)

At least give us a higher chance to summon the Watcher for it?<br><br>
    Or buff the wisp HP so it doesn’t get 1 shot by half the spells.

I would tend to think this incentivises the Sorcerer player to summon more Phantasm Warriors instead of just going with Fantastic Creature 100% of the time. In addition, the changes to the Node Serpent make it much more useful at the same “price range” from a casting point perspective.

I definitely think it will slow down the Sorcerer player, which in the big scheme of things isn’t necessarily a bad thing IMO.

I have to agree with you here freese especially considering i never use summon fantastic creatures i find phantasm warriors and node serpents to be much better units than anything that ever gives me.

freese2112

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>freese2112 wrote:</div>
    I definitely think it will slow down the Sorcerer player, which in the big scheme of things isn’t necessarily a bad thing IMO.

I don’t know if it will actually. It just made other Summons more viable, and made Fantastic creature less of an obvious choice.

Now you can throw the dice for a watcher (1/3 chance) or go the secure route of a Node Serpent.

@ Garresh, it feels like a different game lol:).

@ Epaminondas, I know you were sceptical about changes and dlc, is this still the case?

I definitely agree on the 1.4 revision changing the Phantasm Warrior vs. Fantastic Creature decision. Add in the changes to the Node Serpent, and I think that it makes for a much more dynamic decision, with each having strengths and weaknesses. IMO, previously there was no reason to summon either Phantasm or Node Serpents and I really like the change, but from a “power gamer” perspective I expect that the Sorcerer players to scream bloody murder.

terrahero

So many balance changes. Most of them i feel are are quite good, but a few ones stand out and raise some questions.

Orc Shocktroopers now regenerate slower, in exchange for the battle thrill 10hp regen. And they lose Martial Arts (which is crazy good for melee units!) at gold for Killing Momentum.
    They may get 5hp’s extra, but arent Shocktroopers going to be a bit squisher now? I never really felt they were lacking in killing power as they were.

Was already clarified in another thread.

Another that i find somewhat odd. Builders get Repair Machine if there is a Masters Guild in that city. But Engineers do not.
    When i play Dreadnought, what i really need is just a reliable way to get Repair Machine for on the move.
    Currently that is realistically only from Dreadnought heroes. As a result, i mostly rely on non-machine units, with one or two stacks of machine based units with a Dreadnought hero.
    And now, i will have a reliable way to get on the march repair machine, but its from the builder and not the Engineer. This just surprises me.

Also, i may not fully understand the change to Engineers. It appears as if Engineers are getting Armored, giving them +2 defense. And +1 defense in itself. With another +1 comming from Solid Engineering. For a total of +4 defense. Thats what it suggests.
    But the realist in me says, they get their defense boosted by +1 and they get the armored trait (without getting more defense, 2defense just now comes from armored). And then +1 from Solid Engineering.
    Meaning Engineers get a 10% cost reduction and +2defense over the current Engineer, with full empire upgrades.

This last one might need a bit of clarification in the patchnotes.

Smaug3

Frankly, this looks awesome, and it’s great to see that the development team is willing to do so much to improve the base game.

Keep up the good work.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Smaug3 wrote:</div>

May I ask for the source on this? Steam doesn’t seem to have the info and there’s no update on the previous news post (still mentioned as TBD) nor a new news post on the matter.

In the 35 min preview of golden realms someone spotted it and then commented on it.

Tombles
    Keymaster

@terrahero:

1) In the earliest build engineers had repair machine, and we found it simply made dreadnaughts too powerful. Machines have many advantages (blight/spirit immunity, powerful AoE attacks, etc) and only 1 weakness (no natural healing). By having the cheapest dreadnaught unit give healing, that weakness vanished. We were left with the option of nerfing all machines, or nerfing engineers, hence moving repair machine to gold medal. The use of builders + machine cost was suggested by a fan or beta tester, I believe, as a way of getting Dreads repair abilities in a way which was relatively easy, but not so quick and cheap it would be OP.

2) Your inner realist is correct. Engineers base defense was reduced by 1 and armor was added, giving a net +1 defense and access to the various dreadnaught armored bonuses. So in the later game +2 defense over pre-patch and a 10% price reduction.

IMO, previously there was no reason to summon either Phantasm or Node Serpents and I really like the change, but from a “power gamer” perspective I expect that the Sorcerer players to scream bloody murder.

The spell was way too cheap, 80 mana to summon a T2 is ok, but the 1/3 chance to summon one of the best T3s in the game was a bit much!

Bob5

I’m impressed with the new Tactical AI. I’ve done a few siege battles in late game against a Dreadnought and the AI chooses it’s position on the walls much more carefully. The AI seems to anticipate better from which position its Juggers will get piled by you in the next turn and moves accordingly. I’ve already seen it make good use of those parts on the wall where you can only get attacked by one melee unit at a time (it seemed to realise I mainly had melee units like Succubi and Flyers), and it seems to retreat cannons well on their cooldown turn to keep them out of harms way.

I’m not so sure if buffing Savage Rage was a good choice, it was already ridiculously powerful for its price

Nodor

From the top highlights section: “Non-Hero units can now continue levelling up beyond “Elite” and the level cap for Heroes has been razed.”

I hadn’t realized the level cap had been burnt to the ground. 🙂
    Leveling also has an extra l in it.

Awesome changes, looking forward to kicking a revitalized AI with new strategies based on these changes.

jakjak

Very nice indeed!

ExNihil

Some very interesting changes guys! I especially like the introduction of the Repair Machine on builder – it’s an interesting way to solve the Dread and Theocrat issues, and I’m intrigued by how it will pen out. Tentatively it seems to me like a very good solution for the Dread but a rather cumbersome one for the Theocrat; I would still like to see regeneration of some sort on the Shrine of Smiting, the best idea I came across was a regen based on devout units in a stack giving the Shrine a +2hp/turn per devout unit.

Anyhow, I would like to comment on the Sorcerer in some depth, so I will post it in the Sorcerer thread.

Jolly Joker

I have to say, after being probably the most vocalabout “Healing sucks”, the Goblin and Orc stuff seems to hit a nail. I’m a Gogger, so I can’t play the changes, but thinking of them objectively, for the Orcs they make sense, and for the Goblins it’s somewhat … well, it’s kind of a genius thing. I mean, even if it was OP or useless or whatever, it’s such a beautiful thing from a design pov…
    Anyway. Beer and Chicken. Monkeys throwing dirt. what was it? Overwhelming stench?
    Ok, it’s the Netherlands.
    Guys – you rock!

Ayenara

Phantasm Warriors will be a lot more attractive now, especially since Racial Supports will be a little less common.

I’m very much enjoying the changes!

And yes, Human Assassins are bonkers.

iceboy

Awesome new patch thank you!!!

As far as phantasmal warriors go they are almost impossible to beat now when on a recharging node that give them +15 health a turn. If you have a couple of them on a node forget about it especially early game! Just two of them took out my whole stack because they could never be drained of hit points! +10 health recharge would be much better balanced on a node…

MartyD81

Wow, what a long, long list of changes! Very impressive. I appreciate the AI and diplomacy improvements in particular. Just one little question: Why was the “-100 empire happiness for losing a battle and +100 empire happiness for winning a battle” hapiness condition removed? Does it have something to do with rebalancing the happiness “resource” as a whole? Thanks in advance for any relevant input, and keep up your efforts in making the game even better.

Gloweye

Oh…I like. The rogue’s finally getting some real concealment abilities, largely dependent on race, which I love. Shadow Stalkers finnally become the good units we were promised before release.

To bad I got my game from GOG…

marlowe221

It’s a shame that us GOG users can’t get in on the beta patch but I am very excited about it.

Can’t wait to try out the changes and the DLC on the 18th.

sindustry

Great work.
    So much effort to make the game better as always.
    I like all of the changes except some of them.
    Here are the things that troubling me:

* Human Archers now get Blessed Arrows at elite, giving +2 spirit damage to their attacks (was inflict crippling wounds)
    – Very good idea but i dont think spirit damage will fit in with all classes or leaders. For example Blessed Arrows for evil dreadnought wont seem good.
    So fire arrows instead of holly ones is better choice i think.

*Buff: Disintegrate is now strength 15 (was 12) is now instakill on success instead of 50 damage.
    – This is dangerous one. It may become hero killing machine.
    My suggestion is 50 damage for heroes,instakill for the rest.

*Buff: Slow now disables a unit’s retaliation and attacks of opportunity as well has halving move speed
    – This is too much. Its a death sentence for affected unit.
    Maybe -1 retaliation instead of disabling completely?

*Bonus:Resurrect Hero
    – Please give us an option to disable it for the map. Its simply killing the reality,rpg elements of game and beauty of having risks. Losing a hero must have an impact on the owner’s power not just delaying it for 1 turn.

Regards

Ravenholme

Sindustry, you might be conflating Spirit damage with holy damage, it isn’t. Think of it as Mental damage. I think all they’d need to do is think of a way to change the name of “Blessed Arrows” to something a bit less Holy sounding to fix that.

MartyD81

*Buff: Slow now disables a unit’s retaliation and attacks of opportunity as well has halving move speed
    – This is too much. Its a death sentence for affected unit.
    Maybe -1 retaliation instead of disabling completely?

Seems overpowered after the buff, kind of, and sounds more like a paralysis spell now… I wonder what was the rationale behind this change. “Slow” has served its purpose well in my experience, and I do not see any need for it to have been tweaked that way.

tuster

Good news but … still no PBEM :(

I feel the same: excellent tweaks and fixes but the thing that keeps me from playing with my friends is the missing PBEM Mode..
    Is there a ETA for it at least?

Thx!

I’m more worried about the swimming human assassins in rivers with water concealment- how exactly will you wrest control of the waterways from them? .

Yeah, that is why I proposed giving true sight to frigates and galleons, or just galleons. They have the telescopes, after all, and it would give you a reason to build dedicated ships in a lot of circumstances.

Also, perhaps I’m reading too much into this, but does anyone think the ability to level beyond Elite is a really large buff for the power level classes like Theocrat lategame

really it works well for the shadowstalker, since every upgrade is more like 25 for most attacks. High level units require so much xp to get champion levels that even long games only see a few get really high levels.

champion works the best for hunters and other racial archers, since they level up fairly quickly, and can avoid being instantly killed by upper level units. Indeed, champion hunters with one of the mystical upgrades that boosts archers are deadly, deadly fun.

Reefpirate

Hot damn!

I disappeared for a while into a bog of work and real life stuff… But now that I have some more free time coming up I’m really looking forward to getting into this new patch. Feels like learning the game all over again, but I think I like the way the ‘new’ Rogue looks. Finally some more economic benefits from Globals, better sneaky options, Scoundrel changes, Shadow Stalker stuff, ho boy!

And thank the gods for Order of Healing on T3 and higher tech priests…

Human Rogues are looking real good for the water stuff, I’ll probably start there. Then again even cheaper Marauders and other Goblin changes are tempting as well… Looking forward to diving back in! I’ll probably try and play the beta this weekend.

Smaug3

One thought. What does ‘more goblin production mean’?

Sleepypanda

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Sleepypanda wrote:</div>

Keep up the good work.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Smaug3 wrote:</div><br>

In the 35 min preview of golden realms someone spotted it and then commented on it.

Thanks!

Garresh

Well I’ve spent the last 5 hours toying with Scoundrels. They are *HARD* to use properly, but can be devastating when applied correctly. I’m still not sure they’re viable in MP, but as far as I’m concerned, I’m using them. They feel cool as hell, although they honestly give me a headache just trying to wrap my head around how to apply them properly.

That’s not a bad thing though. They’re in a really good state right now. They’re still pretty weak in combat, but in general scoundrels have always kind of thrived when they outnumber their opponents. Difference is, now they should *always* outnumber their opponents due to concealment. I’m still working on viable strategies for them, and I’m gonna need to spend more time experimenting, but I really like the way they look now. Very interesting.

Tldr; Scoundrels are now pre-assassin assassins that evolve into pre-shadowstalker shadowstalkers.

Taykor

* Human Archers now get Blessed Arrows at elite, giving +2 spirit damage to their attacks (was inflict crippling wounds)
    – Very good idea but i dont think spirit damage will fit in with all classes or leaders. For example Blessed Arrows for evil dreadnought wont seem good.
    So fire arrows instead of holly ones is better choice i think.

We don’t see human priests change their attack when they serve an evil dreadnought, do we? And lore-wise it is them who bless arrows. So I don’t see a problem here.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by  President.

Gloweye

Yeah, that is why I proposed giving true sight to frigates and galleons, or just galleons. They have the telescopes, after all, and it would give you a reason to build dedicated ships in a lot of circumstances.

And you would spot a swimmer with a telescope?

hah. hah. hah.

Tldr; Scoundrels are now pre-assassin assassins that evolve into pre-shadowstalker shadowstalkers.

aaaargh…8 more days.

Tombles
    Keymaster

Wow, what a long, long list of changes! Very impressive. I appreciate the AI and diplomacy improvements in particular. Just one little question: Why was the “-100 empire happiness for losing a battle and +100 empire happiness for winning a battle” hapiness condition removed? Does it have something to do with rebalancing the happiness “resource” as a whole? Thanks in advance for any relevant input, and keep up your efforts in making the game even better.

They were removed for a couple of reasons. Firstly, the rules meant that losing a lone scout in a battle early game could send your whole economy down, which a lot of people complained about. Secondly, we looked at all the morale you got for winning battles and figured out it was way too easy to reach max happiness. This is quite a big problem when you take into account the Halfling’s Luck mechanic (which is literally powered by high morale), and cutting this bonus was one of the things we changed to fix it.

terrahero

@terrahero:

1) In the earliest build engineers had repair machine, and we found it simply made dreadnaughts too powerful. Machines have many advantages (blight/spirit immunity, powerful AoE attacks, etc) and only 1 weakness (no natural healing). By having the cheapest dreadnaught unit give healing, that weakness vanished. We were left with the option of nerfing all machines, or nerfing engineers, hence moving repair machine to gold medal. The use of builders + machine cost was suggested by a fan or beta tester, I believe, as a way of getting Dreads repair abilities in a way which was relatively easy, but not so quick and cheap it would be OP.

2) Your inner realist is correct. Engineers base defense was reduced by 1 and armor was added, giving a net +1 defense and access to the various dreadnaught armored bonuses. So in the later game +2 defense over pre-patch and a 10% price reduction.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>freese2112 wrote:</div>
    IMO, previously there was no reason to summon either Phantasm or Node Serpents and I really like the change, but from a “power gamer” perspective I expect that the Sorcerer players to scream bloody murder.

The spell was way too cheap, 80 mana to summon a T2 is ok, but the 1/3 chance to summon one of the best T3s in the game was a bit much!

Wow, that was a late one for you last night! I was already in bed, i admit.

When i said i was surprised, i didnt mean that i expect baseline repair machine for the cheap engineer. But the similar treatment as the Builder, where it gets Repair Machine under certain conditions such as being produced in a city with a Masters Guild (or perhaps the tier3 Dreadnought structure).

This change made me happy that as a dreadnought i can atleast get a reliable repair machine, but it feels like engineer is being overshadowed now. I never really produced them anymore, and i dont really think ill produce them now either. Instead, the builder looks to be that what i always thought the engineer would be, that unit you dont take for combat but purely for its support to your army.

Ericridge

I’m not quite sure on what to think about the new beta patch yet.

Human cavalry evolving into human knights is best evolution ever. Perhaps bit overpowered but whatever.

I got two Halberdiers at Champion 2 now, 75 hp each!

I think Dreadnought got screwed the most by this patch.

Musketeers got nerfed, Engineers got armor now to match their art.
    Golems switched with Flame tank, while Golem got buff in movement/defense and gained its tireless trait at recruit. Meanwhile Flame tank got pushed up to late game, and has a cooldown now..

Builders now can repair machines! Engineers for dreadnought is pretty much ignored unless the dreadnought player is starting to try to get cannons and juggernaughts on the field now.

Human Halberdiers now sports an excellent overwhelm trait in conjunction of their polearm ability. I am relatively certain this is bug but pikes now just swat the board/stick units into the ground.

I am kinda under pressure by two king AIs which is a draconian sorceror to the east and an orc warlord to the south and both of them is picking a fight with me.

It feels like they have bit of courage now.

So far I’ve been mostly skirmishing against the sorceror because he dow’d on me first. And I managed to get an stack outside his throne city’s walls. And my random warlord hero+five knight which used to be cavalry army managed to seize a city and raze it to the ground from orcs. It was defended by two heroes, two manticores and two warbreeds. I’m not really sure how I managed to win that one. But it was painful, four knights died but one of my knights survived and became champion 1. That Orc city got razed to the ground because orc warlord trying to manticore spam his way to victory.

I’ll find out tomorrow if I really hate the flame tank nerf with golem change or not. Because I have few golems just arriving to the battle lines along with the usual complement of musketeers.

Rushing pretty hard because goblin dreadnought got wiped out by the warlord fast. And from what I could gain from scouting, the orc’s territory is kinda big.

I’m quite happy that builders can repair machines now at least. And the fact that bless actually gives +300 morale now has made me cast it more often when before I didn’t just care. lol

I got scared by the regrowth because it took me by surprise but thank goodness i was only fighting an isolated warbreed with my retreating warlord/knight unit.

oh and seeker enchantment on helmet is marvelous. I went wait uh what?! o.o and then made that helmet and gave it to my dreadnought, he now have fun blasting enemies at long range. Haven’t checked anything else yet. Tired atm.

Patch is really like a whole new game lol.

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 234 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.