Anyone Tried Adding a Class Yet?

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Modding and Map Making Anyone Tried Adding a Class Yet?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  quo 6 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

quo

I’ve been playing around with the mod tools and have actually been successful at adding a new player class to the character selection screen. No new meshes or anything (I just re-used the Rogue one) or new spells/abilities either, trying to get the class to work first. But you can actually see and select the class on the character creation screen.

Doesn’t actually work in game yet though. If I try to load the map, I get a notice about “contacting the map developer” and the game goes back to Start screen. I assume this is because there are links I’m missing, possibly to the character model? I’m still confused about how hero models get selected.

Anyone tried it and had success?

Fenraellis

Arnout just finished his sample of adding a race, and plans to work on a sample for adding a class next, I believe.

Gloweye

Nobody really tried it yet – the issue is mostly in the hero animations/models I think. Even after you get it technically to work, that’s still miles away from a gameplay functional class. I think, if you skip the graphical work, you may be able to do it in three weeks or something? Not to sure.

ryukra

If you copy something you need to relink everything and make sure nothing has the same ID. Also a new class needs a new valid leader. But I think wie should just wait for the race tutorial. :3

quo

Thanks for the tips. In the meantime, I’ve had success adding a new magic sphere (“Astronomy Adapt”) for my test and a brand new spell (“Serendipity”) that adds the Lucky trait to a target. So I will work on that while I cross my fingers that whole classes are possible.

3 weeks doesn’t sound so bad. I spent a year on a Torchlight 2 class mod, so I am familiar with the level of work that goes into making big mods. 🙂

ryukra

If you got something working let us hear! 🙂 3 weeks is indeed nothing to worry about. 😀 No matter what it takes, we will get our awesome custom races/classes!

Gloweye

that is, 3 weeks if you know what you’re doing and have a lot of time on your hands. I think.

quo

that is, 3 weeks if you know what you’re doing and have a lot of time on your hands. I think.

I think it’s going to depend on how much is hard coded. I was surprised I was able to get as far as I was just in the first day. That makes me very optimistic about being able to get a working class done. Changing one of the existing classes over to a new class if of course doable, but ideally I’d like to not overwrite one of the current ones.

Meanwhile, I’m going to shift gears slightly. I had an idea for a minor “cross class system” a while back and I am going to implement it and see how it works. I already did a successful test with an Adapt sphere and it was very straightforward. The guys at Triumph did an amazing job on the code it seems, I can’t believe how well documented a lot of the features are. Much better than many of their competitors for sure.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.