AoW 2 remake?

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Off Topic/General Discussion AoW 2 remake?

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 26 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  Thariorn 7 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author

Perun

Hello guys! I consider AoW2 to be one of the best turn-based strategy games ever. And while I keep my fingers crossed for success of AoW3, I’m afraid that it will be a completely different game – for example mere switch to vector 3D graphics spoils the experience completely. I believe that most fans of AoW/AoW2 would like to see their remakes with little graphics and gameplay enhancements (especially the network game) and a new campaign like the Shadow Magic was in the past.

This is also the way other old successful games decided to go – let it be Settlers or recently Ago of Empires in the RTS or Another World in arcade realms.

That’s why I’d like to ask whether you consider something like the
    “anniversary” edition of previous AoWs or an expansion pack too?

I disagree, i haven’t seen another fan complain about the gfx which imo is a definite turn in the right direction.

Your argument goes against the gaming community, the best example i can think of is all those people who play the newest FPS games that play exactly the same just look slightly better.

The only 2 big aesthetic changes im weary of are the sieges and that units are now squads. But im sure the devs have tested it and know it to be better.

Although i too would like some extra stuff for AoW2, their is just as many fans who prefer AoW1 and would argue to release content for that – both of which would take time away from more content on AoW3 🙁

Perun

I disagree, i haven’t seen another fan complain about the gfx which imo is a definite turn in the right direction.

Well, I look forward to playing a demo and I hope I would be able to change my opinion. But in general I’m afraid that with vector 3D graphics you can never get beautiful, detailed graphics regardless how advanced anti-aliasing and detailed textures you have. In addition, it’s error-prone (colliding vectors, wrong texture mapping, etc.). This is the bane that afflicts other games of the genre like the Heroes of M&M series or King’s Bounty. So yes, you need vector 3D graphics in FPS and RTS where fast movement of huge number of objects is required. But with a turn-based strategy where well-thought moves of each individual unit should be key to success?!

Thurogard

I’m with Perun on this one. I’ afraid the gameplay will suffer because so much effort is being put into the 3D look. In a game like this gameplay is SO much more important than making is visually stunning. If they can pull off both, great, but I’m skeptical.

Thass

I am guessing Perun is worried about if the games graphics level is going to affect your game-play online or with your computer being able to play it but I doubt it is going to be a issue though.
    I would be a little worried about if the editor thing is still going to work smoothly with the up in graphics so I would agree with you Thurogard.

But I don’t believe there is a problem with up in graphics, actually I would like it if they add more amazement to it since the increase. I was kind of excited to to strike all my foes with hellsfire, Sacred Wraith, or have skin of oil with that magic orb floating over then rain oil. Makes me wonder if they are going to make more spectacular spells abilities.

Do not forget that many times the devs have stated how similar the game is going to be to its predecessors, updating to 3d wont change that. The only combat differences are traps, flanking, flying units land and extra spells. Sieges are different too, but the more i see that SS the more i like it 🙂

So sure you wont feel as nostalgic with 3d, but you could say the same for civilisation games.

They had no need to make it look amazing, but they did and its a very fun game 🙂
    Same with all the other TBS games, they have pretty much all updated to 3d and imo it was a good move.

PathoNomadic

I am totally confused at this comment by Perun. Vector 3D graphics can’t be as beautiful? Have you played any AAA game in the last 4 years? Yes, some adapt more cartoony-style graphics like Team Fortress 2, but … Crysis? Even the 1st one is absolutely beautiful.

Sure, the Crysis stories aren’t anything to write home about, so one could make the argument that if they put X dollars into graphics then they’ll have less money to spend on gameplay, but that’s a highly simplistic view of the development process; for the most part the two processes are orthogonal, i.e. independent of each other. The gameplay designers and graphic artists don’t work under a mercenary system where they’ll only put in so much effort based on how much money is being thrown at them. Yes, with more money, you can hire more designers, but more people on the project only makes it better to a certain saturation point. The gameplay could be bad in this game, but if so, I doubt the excellent graphics will be to blame.

Also, have you seen the screenshots? The graphics in this game are orders of magnitude better than the sprite-based AoW 1 & 2.

Hypersloth

I agree with OP. The 3D art is regressive to the age of wonders feel but I don’t see what you’re asking happening anytime soon. The good thing is AoW2 is so gorgeous and timeless that should this installment fail we can always return to it.

I agree with OP. The 3D art is regressive to the age of wonders feel but I don’t see what you’re asking happening anytime soon. The good thing is AoW2 is so gorgeous and timeless that should this installment fail we can always return to it.

true, if aow3 fails, i will still play sm 🙂

Tomipapa

Dunno what the op problem with the 3d. The style is AoWish enough and good looking. And you might didnt look at the calendar but its 2013 now 🙂
    The problem you described was existing back in the early days of 3d when the devs didnt have the experience and skill to make stylish and nice looking graphics(for example HoMM 4 graphics is less charming or remarkable than HoMM 3). But now they have everything to make good 3d graphics. Im and oldschool and hc AoW fan, but i really like the new 3d look.

Andocair

AoW2 doesn’t need a remake imo. It still looks gorgeous, and it runs on every system I tried it on.

That said I don’t want Aow3 to be a remake, but a sequel, and I think the devs are definitely going in the right direction. The advancements in gameplay sound great, and deal with the little issues I had with Shadow Magic, and the new graphics, despite being in 3D, have that certain age of wonders feel to them. Even more so, than AoW2, because they are influenced by the style of the first game. With modern technology designers have the means to make their game look exactly how the want it to look.

The only fear I currently have is, that the leaders will look too similar to one another. Same pose, same background, same angle of view, same clothes (dictated by class). I want my leader to be recognizable at first glance, not to be a random interchangable elven sorcerer.

xuts

Doesn’t matters how much old my graphic card is…. I still can play Shadow Magic in any pc of the world since 2005…

And yes… drawed graphic are too damn detailed than 3d… but games like AOE III are a good example of how 3d graphics can be awesome…

The only fear I currently have is, that the leaders will look too similar to one another. Same pose, same background, same angle of view, same clothes (dictated by class). I want my leader to be recognizable at first glance, not to be a random interchangable elven sorcerer.

i hope its like fallen enchantress, they had a great hero creation system

I would pay for an AoW1 remake (same graphics but better adapted to higher resolutions) but with some AoW2 mechanics included like limited retaliations, movement/attack system, climbable city walls, a bit of rebalancing and such.

here I came here to find a few new maps for my aow:sm and I find that their making a new game after seeing the demo videos it kind a looks a little like hero’s of might and magic. I cant wait to try this one out.

I seem to remember similar arguments in 2002/2003 when AoW2 and then SM came out.

People moaning that the ‘new’ graphics were ruining the series…

Of all the things to be concerned about, the least of my worries is the graphics. I am much more interested in seeing how:

* 6 units in a stack (instead of 8);

* fliers landing, sieges now being from one side only (i.e. can’t surround the city, no multiple lanes of attack);

* units now being squads (but oddly enough, not always squads, i.e. the logic behind attacks never missing is that if archers come in a group, then at least one will hit, which makes sense, yet as the unit suffers more damage, its damage output doesn’t change, so how do these 2 things marry up? Is it a unit, or is it not?);

* and there being less than half the starting races as previous games.

all affect the game.

Now, lest you think I am whingeing, I will buy this game no matter what.

Just wanted to make it clear that I am not worried about the graphics, this game looks beautiful.

In any case, if the modding system is even halfway good, we should be able to make our own campaigns, which means AoW, 2 and SM camapigns, in the new engine, which makes me happy…

* units now being squads (but oddly enough, not always squads, i.e. the logic behind attacks never missing is that if archers come in a group, then at least one will hit, which makes sense, yet as the unit suffers more damage, its damage output doesn’t change, so how do these 2 things marry up? Is it a unit, or is it not?);

* and there being less than half the starting races as previous games.

The units are not squads of units, they are still single units.
    Although an archer may fire 5 arrows with full health and 1 arrow low heath, it still all deals the same damage. Its just a different visual representation of the units.

Also im not surprised that we are getting less starting races as its now in 3d which takes a heck of a lot longer to create.

Vissavald

I was very sceptical about new visual style at the beginning but now I feel more comfortable with it. But there’s something that is lost all the way, something that made AoW and AoW 2-SM masterpieces…

Dohlenmann

We’ve Necros now, so I want to resurrect this thread. 🙂

But I’m a lot more interested in AoW1. While AoW3 is a lot nearer on this one, I just wondered if someone is out there how would want to bring the campaign from the first one back to life.
    I just read some old lore stuff. I always thought that the campaign from the first one with the humans and world-at-war stuff was pretty intense. I loved the paintings and texts. It was very intense, and I loved how your main character made his career from one tiny lieutanent to a big warlord. Endings were moving too. A lot of grey which came back to AoW3 (still, in a bit strange fashion with the tiny weeny Goblins stuff, but good overall).
    I think the campaign was great in the way that you get to learn the world of wonders and worked for the two big factions, but then get your choices to make. And of course mechanics were great there, e.g. importing units and so on.

Compared to that, I wasn’t very moved with the storylines from AoW2 and AoW: SM. Mechanics were great, but all that wizard stuff wasn’t great, and Shadow Demons either.

So…?

Thariorn

I just wondered if someone is out there how would want to bring the campaign from the first one back to life.

BBB is currently trying to recreate the Campaign of AoW 1, as of now he’s doing the Cult of Storms.

Once we get Modding tools (I don’t wanna say an if here :S) recreating AoW 1 would be perfectly feasible with the AoW 3 environment (So, modders could do this). At least if we get the tools to alter units,spells and interface a bit.

Yesterday I started playing the AoW1 campaign again, so I’m kinda excited about things like this 😀

Dohlenmann

OH, BBB is the one who’s doing this? Heard of it. Nice to know.

Just wonder if it will be legally possible to use that good old paintings and texts and so on.

(I also love how AoW3 got back to this stylish paintings. Better than every crappy cutscene stuff.)

arminius85

I would like to remake some old scenario’s which I loved and played a lot:

– First Conflict – already remade for AoW3:GR
    – Rise of the South (Azracs => Tigrans?)
    – Armageddon
    – Reign of Chaos (Lizardmen => Naga?)
    – River of Life

Thariorn

First Conflict – already remade for AoW3:GR

If this is mine and then it isn’t even finished yet 😛

arminius85

I think it is. I thought it was ready. :p Are you going to add features from EL?

@ Dohlenman, yeah I am working on it, slowly.

There are alot of maps, and trying to tell the story the same way is close to impossible, most of all the various choice points, and allowing you to pick new spheres of magic etc.

On the plus side, with EL mechanics, maps should actually be challenging and more fun, instead of stack of deathing everything. Necromancer instead of Undead will be very interesting.

Also, cities had no domain back then, whereas they do now, so alot of juggling to make the maps feel like they did originally.

Plus it’s an interesting conundrum modelling Lizardmen, Highmen and Dark Elves.

I have the campaign structure mapped out, just need to make the maps now, then polish them.

Optimistically, done by end of summer (can get one map done and more or less polished in a week if I focus).

Perun

I think it would be great to remake the AoW I,II for tablets in HD edition like it has recently been done with Heroes of Might & Magic 3 – which is sold for as high as €15 price tag and the number of purchases is in 10-thousands only on Android, not to mention iOS and Windows.

Thariorn

Are you going to add features from EL?

Yes, but I feel kinda guilty for basically saying ‘For the finished version of my map you need both expansions’ :S

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

One thought on “AoW 2 remake?

Warning: call_user_func() expects parameter 1 to be a valid callback, function 'aow3_comment' not found or invalid function name in /var/www/ageofwonders.com/wp-includes/class-walker-comment.php on line 174

Comments are closed.