AoW: Planetfall – Collected Knowledge

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions AoW: Planetfall – Collected Knowledge

This topic contains 258 replies, has 46 voices, and was last updated by  Gyor 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 259 total)
  • Author

Great question Dwarfurious!

Campaign will likely be from the Vanguard based on the trailer. But what will the side play campaign be?

I would love it to be one of the more alien races. That would be really fun 🙂

Jolly Joker

Questions

I would like to know something about the game POTENTIAL. They obviously have some idea about what the game will feature at release (6 races, 4 dwellings, say) – how much, if anything, is already stored in an folder “potential expansion material” and how does that in terms of volume compare with AoW 3? (Disclaimer: It’s not about DLCs or policy or any other crappy stuff, but more about how this new game is inspiring ideas compared with the predecessor.)

A battle starts: Will there be an option to manually deploy the troops or at least to pick some kind of formation or something like that?

Siege battles: Different way to handle city presentation or same “cheat” as in AoW3?

Paradox knows “interlinking games”: Vicky Revolutions and HoI II can be played in connection, exporting the Vicky file into HoI. Has anyone/someone wasted any time with fantasizing about an AoW space game environment, yet, in which Planetfall MIGHT come into play when attacking a planet?

Will there be more options to mod the AI in Planetfall?

Bob5

On the questions of expansions/DLC, the answer is we don’t know yet. The base game isn’t even in alpha yet, it’s far too early to decide things like what to do with expansions. My guess is that it’s probably going to be similar to AoW3 as that model worked very well, just with a bit more promotion from Paradox surrounding it, obviously provided the base game sells well.

Will there be an option to manually deploy the troops or at least to pick some kind of formation or something like that?

THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION!

Siege battles: Different way to handle city presentation or same “cheat” as in AoW3?

I highly assume its the same type. But who knows, they did say battlefields are larger :>

Fizzbitch

With the improved diplomatics, will you also be able to set your own quests with A.I./Human factions?

Jolly Joker

On the questions of expansions/DLC, the answer is we don’t know yet. The base game isn’t even in alpha yet, it’s far too early to decide things like what to do with expansions. My guess is that it’s probably going to be similar to AoW3 as that model worked very well, just with a bit more promotion from Paradox surrounding it, obviously provided the base game sells well.

what I actually want to know is whether it’s basically an open setting, with practically unlimited options to add and improve content or whether there are choke points. Could there be, say, 12 races, eventually (in theory)? How many different units? Terrain? Climate? Resources? Is the game potentially HUGE? (I would have liked another Class for AoW3).

Gloweye

It should be a lot easier to mod in extra races, so those are most likely options for dlc as well.

There will be no deployment phase in combat. According to sikbok, lennart was pretty adamant about that, as he considers it to slow down the combat far to much.

HOWEVER, tactical combat maps will be significantly bigger than what were used to. This should make it mostly anon issue, as you cant abuse bad combat deployment like in aow3, or at least, it should be a lot rarer.

Fluks

Question:
    How fast do they expect game progression to be, similar to Age of Wonders 3, slower (think Civ games) or quicker?
    I always liked that Age of Wonders felt somewhat fast paced compared to the Civ series or Europa universalis.
    Of course with the game not even being in alpha everything is up to change, but it would be nice to know what they are aiming for at this point.

Dwarf Furious…

Dwarves are in.

But I heard they’re beardless. They had a genetic crisis and lost their hair.

#trolling is fun.😋

Bob5

Question:
    How fast do they expect game progression to be, similar to Age of Wonders 3, slower (think Civ games) or quicker?
    I always liked that Age of Wonders felt somewhat fast paced compared to the Civ series or Europa universalis.
    Of course with the game not even being in alpha everything is up to change, but it would be nice to know what they are aiming for at this point.

I think they’re aiming for a pacing similar to AoW3

AoW3 pacing had many user controlled options via rmg settings, so I suspect a better question would be specifics about map size settings and options therein.

And what the “default” is, like how medium map 4 players thrones victory is the default for AoW3.

AoW3 is pretty flexible though, so one hopes for parity or superiority!

Fluks

AoW3 pacing had many user controlled options via rmg settings[…] what the “default” is, like how medium map 4 players thrones victory is the default for AoW3 […]

Yes thanks you are right this is how I should have asked. How fast of a game progression in the default setting are they aiming for.
    and @bob5
    Thanks for

[…]I think they’re aiming for a pacing similar to AoW3

I hope that too, now if someone would hear a dev saying something in that direction I’ll be even happier 🙂

• This reply was modified 3 years, 12 months ago by  Fluks.

Dwarfurious

Its a sci-fi setting, they can have prosthetic beards. Also do you have a video clip or link to an interview where they confirm dwarfs?
    One complaint i had in AoW3 that i havnt seen addresed in planetfall is i wish we had options to limit expansion; you either played with preset cities or could build a thousand of your own. I wanted to make cities but not A LOT of cities!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 12 months ago by  Dwarfurious.

Lannister

I’d really like to know if there will be a toggle on/off for ”superweapons” such as Global Assault, idk how many singeplayer games i felt forced to quit because of these things making the game a chore to play through.

Command & Concquer series had the right model with nukes/ion cannons toggle on /off.

From what’s has been gathered so far:

• In contrast to AoW3, your Race is flavoured by your Class, as each race has its own unique mechanics.
  • Imho best change! classes in Aow had to much focus and made races bland & homogenized, race focus and differences is important for creating an interesting atmhosphere.

• Diplomacy will be more relevant than in AoW3.
  • Also good to hear! one of aow3s biggest flaws.

Lannister
  • Larger battlefields than AoW3 with interactive objects that can used for cover and even destroyed under sustained fire.
  • I am not so sure this is a postive thing, the battlefields in Aow 3 already felt too big and so many turns spent on ‘getting there”.

Imho the Heroes of might and magic series still has the best model where a battle leads to direct confrontation and no time wasting(especially annoying in MP games).

Rhaeg

One complaint i had in AoW3 that i havnt seen addresed in planetfall is i wish we had options to limit expansion; you either played with preset cities or could build a thousand of your own. I wanted to make cities but not A LOT of cities!

I could be wrong, but I think the sector system might solve that for you: sectors seem to be established upon map generation and you seem to be able to only create one settlement (city/base/whatever) per sector. That would limit the amount of settlements that are buildable.

That’s the idea I get from all of this, but again: I could be wrong ofc.

Zaskow

Please, ask details about mupltiplayer. Live, what options? PBEM?

Dwarf, I asked about space dwarves.

Myself directly.

Answer was yes.

There’s your confirmation.

I could be wrong, but I think the sector system might solve that for you: sectors seem to be established upon map generation and you seem to be able to only create one settlement (city/base/whatever) per sector. That would limit the amount of settlements that are buildable.

That’s the idea I get from all of this, but again: I could be wrong ofc.

I think that’s right.

Furthermore not every sector will be colonisable.

Some have stuff already in them.

SikBok
    Keymaster

No pineapple in pizza.

Don’t think we did much about swimmer visuals, but they might be less frequently encountered.

We changed city battles. The guy I need for details is currently on stage. Sorry.

Did that cover all the questions? ; )>

Penguins a possibility. well done Gloweye.

Rhaeg

I don’t think all of your questions got answered yet, iHK 😛

Edit: Triumph, please post the concept art we saw in the Q&A session somewhere! 🙂

• This reply was modified 3 years, 12 months ago by  Rhaeg.

Jolly Joker

Holy crap, there will be some nasty critters in that game! 🙂

I get the impression, the gearing-up of units will play a lot like AoWSM way of casting enduring spells on units.
    And I gave to agree that the more ranged nature of futuristic combat makes miss probabilities a necessity. If it’s done correctly, which I don’t doubt, this will basically have the same effect as an overabundance of AoE weapons (without actually having them): having miss chances you will tend to fire on massed targets where even a miss will end with a hit, so will want to spread your units. This in turn makes cover a lot more interesting.

Also, layers, yes. Underground makes not much sense with tanks and gunships – but mayve there could be subterranean complexes to explore (makinh heavy units and flyers useless)?

I already see one expansion: Aquarius – the Ocean Planet expansion, adding the waterbased stuff, like Hovercrafts, different ship types, ocean platforms, an aquatic race…

Tibbles

New pics from the stream:

Rhaeg

Also, layers, yes. Underground makes not much sense with tanks and gunships – but mayve there could be subterranean complexes to explore (makinh heavy units and flyers useless)?

I like the idea of that: small secondary layer pockets like caves or subterranean complexes that only cover small parts of the map, where only small units can enter and there’s something to discover with some kind of reward.

Rhaeg

I posted a bunch if stuff in the quartertothree foruns:

Some additional stuff I remember (but waiting for iHK to come with the real update ofc 😛 ) :

• Circo (sp?) is the name of the insectoid species shown on some of the screenies;
    • From what I understood there is more than one insectoid species;
    • Jack Gelder is shown in some screenies (with vanguard laser rifle in one of them). He’ll feature prominently in the Vanguard campaign;
    • the Ravenous is a tanky insectoid unit that can eat people and lay eggs which will hatch into tiny insectoid dudes/dudettes. Like the ol’ Glutton Harvester I guess;
    • Vanguard have a tank that projects a smoke screen;
    • The screeny with Fort Gelder settlement has an agricultural sector to the right (explains the plant icon then)
    • one sector building allows you to recruit “androids from the entertainment industry”, lol;
    • non-intelligent species like the quartzites(?) exist, no diplomacy possible ofc;
    • a Xeno life institute is show in one of the screenies: old Star Union building where all kinds of covert research took place. You can get it running again I believe, “bio engineering”, “bio plague”, “hivemind for human colonists” where mentioned I remember.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 12 months ago by  Rhaeg.

TheSpeaker

New pics from the stream:

Thanks Tibbles!

Good grief this is turning out to a beautiful game. Concept art and screenshots look incredible.

Also, this is the best question answered so far:

No pineapple in pizza.

About that pineapple…the restaurant we’re in does banana and ham pizzas…

Also, the map is round.

Not square.

Round.

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 259 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.