AoW: Planetfall – Collected Knowledge

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions AoW: Planetfall – Collected Knowledge

This topic contains 258 replies, has 46 voices, and was last updated by  Gyor 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 121 through 150 (of 259 total)
  • Author

Fizzbitch

Maybe they could make storms that would prevent flyers from moving through them? Or cost more to traverse or something.

BB Shockwave

Huh, where does all the info on races and such come from? I only saw the Pax-something reveal and the website.
    Overall it all sounds interesting, even though I prefer fantasy to sci-fi. As long as it does not over-complicate the management of resources and does not simplify combat like the Endless games or that Warlock game did, I am in.

What do you mean about “adjacent hex rule returning”? It never went away, last I checked you could have as many as troops of seven hexes in a battle in AoW3.

BB Shockwave

Also, on that picture with the humans vs the blue 4-armed monster, if you zoom in you can see the smaller blue armored troops on the right in the background are the same insectoid humanoids as shown on that larger pic. So likely, these are all units of the insectoid race.

BB Shockwave

Screenshots:
    Another really nice composition of humans vs bio-aliens! Checkout the movement icon indicators!
    https://www.paradoxplaza.com/dw/image/v2/BBSX_PRD/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-paradox-catalog/default/dw5d91b4bd/product-images/planetfall/AoWPlanetFall_WorldMap1a.jpg?sw=2000&sh=2000&sm=fit

Unique map shape – Check
    Tanks & Flying units – Check
    Silicoid brutes – Check?
    https://www.paradoxplaza.com/dw/image/v2/BBSX_PRD/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-paradox-catalog/default/dw8d8ce375/product-images/planetfall/AoWPlanetFall_Tactical_4.jpg?sw=2000&sh=2000&sm=fit

MECHS! – SUPER CHECK!
    https://www.paradoxplaza.com/dw/image/v2/BBSX_PRD/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-paradox-catalog/default/dwcf763538/product-images/planetfall/AoWPlanetFall_Tactical_1.jpg?sw=2000&sh=2000&sm=fit

How and where did you get these images? And next time can you link them instead of embedding? The forum shrinks them down to tiny size and I have to use a HTML editor to actually be able to view the originals…
    Those blue crystal rock beings remind me of the Rift Spawn – there is a large one and smaller minions.

You just need to right click the image and choose view =p

BB Shockwave

You just need to right click the image and choose view =p

That only shows the smaller thumbnail. I had to quote the text, go in the HTML code and find the source link. As I said, it’s the forum that does something to every image you post, even Imgur, and shrinks them.
    Btw, when right-clicking it often just brings up a still-shot from the trailer, but that’s likely because Destructoid where you linked them is totally broken now.

So far the game sounds really interesting, hope we see some gameplay footage soon.

Rhaeg

In Chrome you can just right click and open the image in a new tab, is it really that different in other browsers? I get them in full size and the URL points to somewhere on the Paradox site.

Ahh sorry buddy, its not view image its R.Click > Copy Image location.
    you shouldn’t need to go into HTML at all.

Gloweye

We got the info on pdxcon, where bbb, bob5 and i have been asking the devs directly

Leon Feargus

The androids from entertainment industry sound like a seducing unit, like the Bard or succubus.

The Quartzinites sound like a sort of Giants. Even though apparently they’re non sentient? I am very curious in them.

Also, Mr. Gelder seems to be named for the Dutch province of Gelderland. Wouldn’t it be funny to see an actual planet named Gelderland? XD

I also have no doubt that Dire Penguins will make it into the game.

Actually, it sounds even more like a Dutch guy from the entertainment industry. No stripper though. Maybe there´s some sort of sci-fi football event where Jack has special abilities.

TheSpeaker

On another note – there was a mention of 2 races being psychic, but was there any indication of psychic units among other races?

For example, maybe the Vanguard has the equivalent psyker type unit from Warhammer 40K? Sure, the race itself isn’t psychic overall but maybe there are individuals who are. It would give some nice variation from just mechs and guns for the human faction.

It would be great if maybe one of the “classes” focused on psychic energy, like a sci-fi version of the sorceror, and your race ends up with psyker units. Maybe it could be even more effective if you’re already part of a psychic race.

Fizzbitch

Hahaha nice one. If he gives some commentary on AoW:P I’ll gladly listen to it XD

Rhaeg

It would be great if maybe one of the “classes” focused on psychic energy, like a sci-fi version of the sorceror, and your race ends up with psyker units. Maybe it could be even more effective if you’re already part of a psychic race.

Yah, it sounds like something the “secret tech”/class mechanic might be able to do: allow you to produce units that have skills/benefits not normally accessible to your race.

Actually, it sounds even more like a Dutch guy from the entertainment industry. No stripper though. Maybe there´s some sort of sci-fi football event where Jack has special abilities.

No Jack van Gelder please, ugh… must unthink this…

Gilafron

Map design? LUA scripts still?

Gilafron

Also, have they addressed XP farming?

vfxrob

Would be great to see tiles effected in TC, e.g. So a hexed tile would be effecting unit stats, as well as adding visuals to the unit or the tile.

You shoot a firebomb own an area and the tiles are aflame, moving units to that area and they are alight for x amount of turns and the tile will be aflame for only x amount of turns.

Shoot are missile and it creates a crater when a unit moves into that area it gains a range bonus +2 def

A tanker sprays or hit with armour piercing it leaks oil and the those that step in it could be vulnerable to fire.

Could add a lot of extra tactical play!

Gloweye

There was a gas bomb effect, which first had a smoke cloud, then next turn it ignited the smoke, hitting all units inside.

I think it was a command point ability.

HousePet

Well I was not expecting it to be so similar to AoW, but I’m not complaining about it.
    (As long as it isn’t a bad reskin like Beyond Earth was.)

I’m hoping they adjust the pacing a bit, so it isn’t all T4 rushing and really does have decent exploration and diplomacy in it. Other space 4x games I’ve played have all got this wrong, and have been filled with overly tedious micromanagement like 100 improvements for each city/system.

Would love to see someone develop a semi randomised campaign for once too. I’m speculating here, but if there is going to be a campaign involving visiting different planets to rebuild the Star Union and find out what went wrong before, it would be nice if it wasn’t the same maps each time you played it.

BB Shockwave

Well I was not expecting it to be so similar to AoW, but I’m not complaining about it.

I’m hoping they adjust the pacing a bit, so it isn’t all T4 rushing and really does have decent exploration and diplomacy in it. Other space 4x games I’ve played have all got this wrong, and have been filled with overly tedious micromanagement like 100 improvements for each city/system.

Would love to see someone develop a semi randomised campaign for once too. I’m speculating here, but if there is going to be a campaign involving visiting different planets to rebuild the Star Union and find out what went wrong before, it would be nice if it wasn’t the same maps each time you played it.

Yeah, exactly that. That overcomplicated town and kingdom managemement and the really barebones combat system when compared to AoW is why I could never get into any of the “pretender” games that sprung up after AoW3. Many don’t even had a combat map, I forget which one was it that just had combat take place right on the strategic map. Another boasted about a gazillion units but it turned out all were just slight variation of generic humans you could equip with any type of weapon.
    I think it was Warlocks or something like that which was the worst, I started a random map and it spawned some high level monster spawner right next to my city, meaning I was overrun by enemies I could not even try to defeat in 3 days. It was also the game that was sold at full price and it did not even have a campaign, just random maps…

Rhaeg

Random Map Generator content during the campaign. Main story lines are fixed, however, most of the maps will be randomly generated. This results in secondary storylines which effect later campaign levels

so it isn’t all T4 rushing

I believe there is a new resource, “command points” or something, that is used for t4 units and abilities, and is limited.

Not quite sure what it is or how it works at this stage.

I *think* it’s like casting points, but also accumulatable and depletable via upkeep.

Anyway, seems to be a direct counter to t4 rushing and spam.

Jolly Joker

It’s probably what we talked about – “Leadership”.

It might also just be another word for casting points.

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by  Jolly Joker.

Gloweye

Conceptually, command points is basicaly casting points, but without a mana. Probably.

There was a different special resource for some high tier stuff, but Im not 100% if that’s including the units.

Draxynnic

Yeah, exactly that. That overcomplicated town and kingdom managemement and the really barebones combat system when compared to AoW is why I could never get into any of the “pretender” games that sprung up after AoW3. Many don’t even had a combat map, I forget which one was it that just had combat take place right on the strategic map. Another boasted about a gazillion units but it turned out all were just slight variation of generic humans you could equip with any type of weapon.
    I think it was Warlocks or something like that which was the worst, I started a random map and it spawned some high level monster spawner right next to my city, meaning I was overrun by enemies I could not even try to defeat in 3 days. It was also the game that was sold at full price and it did not even have a campaign, just random maps…

Different people like different things. Some people like to have more focus on the combat side of things, and AoW3 is probably the best out there for that in the fantasy 4X genre. Some people like to have more focus and complexity in empire management, and Endless Legend is probably the best example for that in the current generation of fantasy 4X games.

As long as there are games that cater to different tastes, there’s something for everyone.

One thing that I would observe is that I don’t think any of them can really be called “pretender games that sprung up after AoW3”. Stardock’s series started in 2010, and Warlock released in 2012. Endless Legend and Worlds of Magic are the only ones I can think of that appeared afterwards, and neither appear to have been inspired by AoW (EL is a fantasy installment of the Endless franchise, while Worlds of Magic is intended as a Master of Magic successor.)

Sordak

Im realy not a big fan of the artstyle.
    Very generic science fiction, kind of a 50s vibe if you want.

Insect aliens also not realy reinventing the wheel here.

I wouldve liked to see a sort of inverse Endless Legend (which is fantasy in the context of sci fi, i wouldve liked this to be the opposit sort of, but well its a new setting)

Leyrann

Im realy not a big fan of the artstyle.
    Very generic science fiction, kind of a 50s vibe if you want.

What do you mean? The world map or the tactical combat?

Insect aliens also not realy reinventing the wheel here.

What if they’re related to shadow demons though?

Sordak

by the artstyle i mean the artstyle, very clean but still generic sci fi, nothing that stands out.

it reminds me a bit of 50s futurism but not enaugh to be realy called Retrofuturism. Its just kind of unremarkable i suppose. doesnt stand out much.

Dwarfurious

anyone have confirm of maybe space lizardmen ?

vfxrob

There was a gas bomb effect, which first had a smoke cloud, then next turn it ignited the smoke, hitting all units inside.

I think it was a command point ability.

Sound awesome! timer effect! Had been already thinking the creator engine could be a stella Scifi game. And love the approach with a somewhat added fantasy, where magic could be at play.

Back to the point. To expand on the tiles, i was hoping to add barricades, but more specifically trenches where units could get into, i think COH used a normal map to overlay achieve this effect.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=coh+trench&client=safari&rls=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiUk8SRo5vbAhXLabwKHanaATEQ_AUICigB&biw=983&bih=535&dpr=2

In addition if they don’t add it i’ll probably add in defensive structures, something that actually works already really well with Spider Gift with turrents, traps, the only thing was the AI didn’t really understand the barricades, but already got my list for the colonial marines.

Dropship to give supplies and reinforcements.

Female base, will need to make a male variant and then just add the equipment onto so each squad will have mix race/equipment to make them more rag tag.

Gloweye

There will very likely be creatable objects. Trenches…maybe? Dont know.

Viewing 30 posts - 121 through 150 (of 259 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.