AoW: Planetfall – Collected Knowledge

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions AoW: Planetfall – Collected Knowledge

This topic contains 258 replies, has 46 voices, and was last updated by  Gyor 2 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 19 posts - 241 through 259 (of 259 total)
  • Author

Bob5

Edit: Ignore this post, accidental double post

• This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by  Bob5.

Bob5

Had a random thought about them pondering whether to have an underground layer:

How about doing a proper underwater system instead?

At first I thought about what Lennart said about it not making much sense for helicopters and tanks to be going underground also applying to underwater, but then I thought that it’d actually be really cool if you could potentially upgrade your helicopters and your tanks with modules that’d make them convert into a submarine form of some sorts (think James Bond underwater cars made by Q, only for helicopters and tanks), maybe have diving suits for the marines or some sort of genetic mutation that’d cause humans to grow gills. With some sci-fi explanations it could be really cool.

@sikbok @tombles are you reading this?

Edit: Sorry for the double post, I goofed up and I don’t see a delete button on my post.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by  Bob5.

Jolly Joker

What’s that supposed to gain? It’s just the equivalent to water concealment.

An additional layer is adding different terrain and a different way to add to map size. For PF, a full Underground might make sense, if (some) resources could only or mostly be found there and/or if there were significant racial (dis-)advantages with this kind of terrain.

Otherwise, it makes sense, as mentioned, to have subterranean “complexes” – bunkers, research facilities, caches/storerooms and so on – that is, kind of “pockets”.

Bob5

I was more thinking in the lines of an actual layer underwater similar to what underground was in the other Age of Wonders series. Maybe you could find more history there about the Star Union, lost to the bottom of the sea, maybe it’d have slightly different mechanics for underwater battles (like more drag on the projectiles reducing their range or w/e, everything floating except really heavy stuff that drives on the seafloor). Truthfully, I don’t see much chance for Triumph adding something like that to the base game as it’d take a lot of time to make and balance out, but it could go on the “Very cool for a potential expansion” pile.

thiasss

@bob5 and Jolly joker,
    instead of going underwater or underground, how about going to space?
    Add a space layer, which is accessable through portals (teleporter) or spaceship.
    As I said in a previous post, what I fear the most about AoW is the carbon copy tactic and just pacing AoW 3 underground to AoW4 seems kind of lazy and not thematic. If they go sci fi mode, than I want to feel it and not just a carbon copy of AoW3 with just different names, like magic is now science and elfes are amazons.

No, It has to BE a sci fi game and it has to take some risks and actions to persuade me that it is going that direction, so why not go to space? Adding such a layer is way cooler, makes sense in the thematic, is something unique and not inspired by endless legend or other games and makes up for extreme cool battle mechanics, graphic displays and item locations and loot buildings.

Dr_K

No, It has to BE a sci fi game and it has to take some risks and actions to persuade me that it is going that direction, so why not go to space?

Because actual space is boring. Yes, you can clutter it with interesting things, but then it isn’t really space anymore. Also, the only interesting thing about space is usually stripped away because it makes things so much easier. Space should not be 2D
    Three full dimensions on space tactical/strategic maps or nothing 🙂

Spaceship or satellite layers? Those would more or less work, but not an actual space layer.

Add a space layer, which is accessable through portals (teleporter) or spaceship.

I believe the thinking is that there are MANY spaced based 4x/strategy games out there.

Stellaris, Endless Space etc etc, but there are very few terrestial based sci-fi 4x, infact only 2 immediately spring to mind:

Beyond earth (which could have been good!)
    Alpha Centauri

There’s also Endless legend, which is weirdly half sci fi and half fantasy, so that could count.

Ditto Pandora, which always struck me as a more aggressive version of Civ.

And soon Gladius comes out, which looks like a 40k reskin of Civ/Pandora/Beyond Earth. I’m a sucker for the theme but it’s one unit per tile…which means the rest of it would have to be uber glorious for me to buy it.

So that’s the competition/comparison.

Plus, if it were a space game it’d no longer be an AoW game, and the central AoW tenets are

ground based,
      hero led exploration and combat,
      with cities as a largely supporting role.

That 3rd has gotten increasingly complex with each sequel, and Planetfall looks almost Civ-esque in that regard.

Gyor

I don’t know if this has been suggested yet, but a starhate system could cool.

Gloweye

What’s a starhate system ?

RomeoReject

What’s a starhate system ?

It’s what AoW:Planetfall uses. The races all hate living in the stars, so they fight on planets instead.

Fenraellis

So a system that is already in use would be cool? 😛

Who wants to live in that nasty artificial gravity anyway?

RomeoReject

Oh, that wasn’t meant to be taken seriously, I was just kidding. They clearly meant stargate, but accidentally hit the ‘h’ instead of ‘g’, as they’re side-by-side.

Gloweye

well, if i’d have known, I wouldn’t have asked. There’s plenty of games out there I don’t know, so it might be a word im unfamiliar with.

so…what’s the definition of a stargate system, then ?

RomeoReject

Typically it’s a method of physically linking two wildly different locations through mechanical devices (Picture the Relays from Mass Effect or the Stargates from Stargate SG-1). While it’s far more common for “space-based” 4X games, I believe they’re suggesting putting one on planets could be a neat method of map expansion, as they also create vital chokepoints during play.

Gloweye

So basically, you could use it with map layers to have multiple planets ?

Sounds fun.

Quark02

I guess stargates/-portals/-transporters/-puddles (whatever term avoids lawsuits) would work more like Shadow Realm than Underground. With multiple types of portals you could have empires over multiple planets (swamp planets! Toxic gas planets! mana/research planets! production planets! farming local algae planets!). For story purposes, they could all be in the same solar system, explaining why some races start on one planet, others on others. Similar to the Quad in Killjoys (TV show) being planets and I think a moon, avoiding the FTL tech pitfalls.

On the diplomacy front, I would love the AI to sometimes (if powerful and aggressive/pushy personality) demand things of the player. “Give us **interstellar nukes** or we will force you to use them to survive!”, “Give us 500 bottle caps or we will terminate our non-aggression treaty!” – who would not enjoy that? It is something painfully lacking in most 4X games. It would be even better for multiplayer – demands and ultimatums for other players… but the player who gets the choice (war/tribute) will know the result of the offer first.

The prototyping sounds a lot like Sid Meier’s epic Alpha Centauri, I assume there will be a tech/wonder/resource that will either remove prototyping or make it dirt cheap. You don’t want your enemy’s forces to all get upgraded suddenly upon finding out a simple tech, you want a little breather. It was a good idea then, I think it is a good idea now.

Is there any information about some old races (e.g Shadow Demons – they are demons so could be omnipresent, not planet-specific) making a comeback in the game or perhaps a future expansion (yes, I’m going there)?

Gloweye

purely technically, there’s no difference between UG and SR. And cave entrances are just teleporters.

Quark02

I do not disagree from a technical standpoint. From a lore/experience standpoint they are different (one floating above the void, not in the “earthly plane of existence” so-to-say. Other planet are not necessarily that stuck to the planet. Heck, teleporters don’t even have to be in the same places over all “planes”. Might be just me (this is how I feel, not necessarily how I would think if I were to allow myself the luxury).

Checked up on AoW3 news today, hadn’t heard of PF before, been digging through places for more information for the evening. Really liking what I’m seeing so far. Thankful that anywhere I poke there are people in the community ready to share their knowledge. Can’t wait for developer blogs.

Gyor

Hahaha, I meant Stargate not Starhate.

Viewing 19 posts - 241 through 259 (of 259 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.