AoW3 Multiplayer Strategy Guide

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions AoW3 Multiplayer Strategy Guide

This topic contains 21 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  Alswinn 4 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author

Jomungur

I’d been working a strategy guide for a little bit, then got distracted by the tournament. Anyway, I finished part 1 and created a website for it. Part 1 covers the most important part of the game: the strategic map.

It’s a minimalist design as I don’t have web design skills. But hopefully there’s some interesting stuff on there for everyone. I’ll try to add more content, pictures, examples later. Let me know what you think!

http://aow3strategyguide.weebly.com/

Epaminondas

Wow, you are amazing. I was hoping a veteran would post a fairly comprehensive guide, and it looks like my prayer has been answered!

I cannot wait till race/faction strategies…

Edit: Also perhaps a different section for Specializations? It appears that this choice is almost as important as the class choice, and arguably more than race choice.

MuadDib

Great read so far, just a small interface suggestion – next/previous buttons would be much appreciated 🙂

LordTheRon

Excellent and very thorough write up Jom. Thanks very much for the effort you put into this. Looking forward to the next installments.

Great job indeed, thanks a lot 🙂

alf978

Same sentiment here. Big thumbs up!!

Gloweye

Looks great.

I was wondering, at the wiki were a bit strapped on the strategical elements, we basically don’t even have the time to put in numbers we can pull straight from the game – golden realms is out for 2 weeks, but it was only today that I put in Sirens/Mermaids/feather serpents. I just checked and we dont even have a page for empire upgrades yet.

Would you mind that, when you got as far, I will copy some of the things you’re about to write regarding manual combat? The wiki’s aim is more matter-of-fact than your guide, and not directed at MP, but I bet there’s gonna be quite some things that would be very useful on there.

Gavagai

Extremely useful ! Thanks a lot !

Garresh

Looks incredibly good so far. Haven’t read all the way through yet but just wanted to say it looks good. I’ll do a more intensive look at it when I get the time to sit down for an hour or two and its not 1 AM haha.

Narvek
    Keymaster

Added to the list ^^

Bouh

This is must read for almost everyone. Good job.

Jomungur

Thanks for the positive feedback. I am travelling a lot over the next few weeks, but should have some time to write more content on the plane.

I cannot wait till race/faction strategies…

Edit: Also perhaps a different section for Specializations? It appears that this choice is almost as important as the class choice, and arguably more than race choice.

Yes, this makes sense. Depending on how much work it takes, I hope to open it up eventually for others to contribute quality strategy articles as well.

Great read so far, just a small interface suggestion – next/previous buttons would be much appreciated

If I there’s an easy way to do this on Weebly, I’m all for it. I’d like to add comment boxes as well at the bottom- maybe later.

Bouh

I have one comment about the “midgame : scouting” section. I think in this section you talk more about harassing than scouting. It’s debatable though, because it’s a point where large scouting forces become harassing forces as much as they are scouting tools, yet I think you focus more in this section on counter-intelligence and harassment than on intelligence in itself (maybe it’s only semantic BTW, because scouting to me is more intelligence than anything else and I find an army large enough to harass to be wasted as a scout only army).

I’d like to add comment boxes as well at the bottom- maybe later.

If you set up the page as a blog post, then anyone can comment at the bottom.

Marcus

I liked your guide, nothing new for me but a good read nevertheless. And it probably will be useful for someone new to MP in AoW.

Looking forward to see what you have to say about tactical combat.

SikBok
    Keymaster

Awesome, a guide by AoW’s strategic mastermind.
    Now we all get to PWN like Jom.

SikBok
    Keymaster

Just read all the things, really like the guide : )>

Good to see things we were aiming for actually getting mentioned as relevant is a guide at this level of play.

The reference to both chess and star craft strategy made my day.

Jomungur

Thanks. AoW3 is a very deep strategy game, that’s for sure. I don’t think people realize how hard it must be to code a strong AI for movement on the strategic map.

I’m working on the next part of the guide off and on as RL commitments have increased, but hope to have it done in the next week or two.

wapamingo

this is great!

I thought I was good, but reading this I learned quite a few things.

Keep it up, I am looking forward to reading more!

Alswinn

Your website is down. Would you please consider to repost it? 🙂

Otherwise – does anyone else have a similar good post to link?

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by  Alswinn.
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by  Alswinn.

Hiliadan

This guide is incomplete but still contain some interesting info (I hope!) and will be updated in the future: http://age-of-wonders-3.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Hiliadan/AoW3_Strategy_and_Tactical_Guide_from_Academy_Games_on_the_Battlefield.com

I also encourage you to watch this video which references several channels and guides with good info:

(it also contains other info, the parts that interest you are in bold below:
    – The Arena Battle Mode, a new mode to play AoW3, focusing on tactical battles
    – The 4 mods of the Shadow Realm Community Expansion (or even more)
    Advanced strategies and tactics video: Marcuspers and Hiliadan’s channels, the advanced tutorial playlist
    The Wiki and the excellent guides it contains about the campaigns and tactics and strategies
    – Best mods for AoW3)

Alswinn

thank you very much! 🙂

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.