Arcane Libraries – I have a crazy idea I'd like to share

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Balance Suggestions Arcane Libraries – I have a crazy idea I'd like to share

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Jolly Joker 5 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Jolly Joker

Right, for a long time I think that Arcane Libraries are handing out reward in a way that somewhat spoils the fun. I can live with Sphinxes (although I’d half research reward), but Arcane Libraries are just killing the fun later in the game.
    Sure, in the beginning it’s cool: you get a “forgotten” low-research spell, which is exactly the right reward. Later on, though, you suddenly deplete your research book with it, getting handed techs worth more than Spinx rewards.

Then – it doesn’t make sense. Why would a library net only tech of your own class? So I thought, what if Arcane Libraries would spit out random Tier 1 and 2 spells (tactic and strategic) of ALL classes and specs? This would NOT shorten your research book. It would give the same reward quality at any point of the game. And it would completely shuffle things through.
    It would also make sense for the structure. You might get double stuff like with artifacts.

I think it’s even moddable.

So, any thoughts about this?

Jolly Joker

Ok, the mod is easy. I did it, and it seems to work; playing Rogue I got Bless, and my Rogue leader now has Bless in his spellbook.

Hiliadan

Yeah I guess it’s a good idea. I didn’t even realize Lost Library gave techs from your research book…

Jolly Joker

I don’t know, whether it will be funny when your opposing Theo starts Deathmarching you, but I’ll try that setup out. I can also share the mod, and I will make a thread in the mod section later today.

NuMetal

I love the idea and I’d love to have a mod for that!

Just to make sure though: You can’t receive spells you already have researched, right? And if you receive a spell currently researchable in your spellbook, it will be removed from it?
    If so I’d be very happy if you could link to your mod so I can use it. And thanks for the effort 🙂

Jolly Joker

I just posted the link in the Mod forum.

For question 1, while this is so by default, however, the reward set basically accesses your research and picks from what has not been researched, yet (and isn’t currently). With the mod, the reward set is a list of (82) available techs which include those T1 and T2 combat and strategic spells of your class and also your specs. That’s why I’d say, it is possible that you get a spell as reward you already have (you can get artifacts you already have as well).
    For question 2, I don’t actually know what happens in that case – it didn’t happen. Since I have a set-up with a good force that can hit a Library immediately, I’m going to text that probably, and if I come to a conclusion I’ll post it.

Jolly Joker

ACtually, forget the easy testing. Can’t change the seed, so no easy testing possible.

NuMetal

Hmm, but could you change it so that you are guaranteed a new spell?

While it is true that other sites can give duplicate items that is not the same. The second item can just be given to another hero and therefore still has a use while in the case of the Lost Library you simply wouldn’t get anything at all.

Jolly Joker

What I meant is, that it’s the same in terms of how it is done, although, I’m not sure.

In my opinion, having a chance to actually find tech that is NOT new to you, seems fair enough, especially since the chance is not so big.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.