Archdruid heroes: the best?

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Archdruid heroes: the best?

This topic contains 25 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  ZHN_AK 6 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author

lucaluca

So I used to love rogue heroes because if charm and shadow form… But the archdruid heroes blew them out the water… They get

Regrowth: almost impossible to kill
    Heal, natural healers
    Nourishing meal heals undead
    Befriend animal useful on spider queens
    Vengeful vines: goodbye walls
    Storm: huge splash shock damage from very far, I can use it to conquer cities without actually reaching the walls
    Summon ancestral spirit: use it on turn 1 when storm is on cool down
    Entangling touch

Wow

• This topic was modified 6 years, 5 months ago by  lucaluca.

Archdruid heroes: the best?

Much improved, that’s for sure. 🙂

Gloweye

Call Lightning and Regrowth are pretty new. Before that, they were good as early army leaders but got no useful leadership skills at all later one, which kind of made them feel like a trap to me.

But right now, I think they’re in a pretty nice spot.

They are definitely very strong, but by the time they get regrowth and lightning other heroes will also have some very nice toys. Strong will and physical resistance for everybody, or resurgence on the whole group, to name a couple.

Still, I do think they’re one of the best options you have, because they’re useful right from the start and only get stronger as the game goes on. Their healing abilities help a ton with early creeping, their lightning and summoning magic are great at sieges later on, and regrowth is just icing.

Their leadership skills are still a bit weaker than most others. Elemental resists are nice, but situational, and for the rest they just get that +1 resistance ability. I actually like archdruids best as secondary heroes. Team them up with a warlord leader and you get a killer stack.

lucaluca

I would also say Necromancers are good heroes with ghoul course … They are kinda weak in healing even st later stages though

lucaluca

Who gets physical resistance for the stack?

ESCL

Who gets physical resistance for the stack?

Warlords, lvl 11 they can get Toughness which gives 20 % physical resistance to the whole stack

lucaluca

Ok 20% is very low…

Gloweye

Ok 20% is very low…

Does add up over the duration of a battle tho…

It used to be 20% for all party resistances. The others got boosted to 40%, but that would be a bit to strong with Toughness.

Ok 20% is very low…

Does add up over the duration of a battle tho…

It used to be 20% for all party resistances. The others got boosted to 40%, but that would be a bit to strong with Toughness.

Quite.

Even as-is, if you play a sorcerer and get a warlord hero, and give him a bunch of Phantom warriors… that’s 80% physical resistance on those. With tireless at gold medal and the warlord casting Last Stand, one of those can single-handedly clear out high-level treasure sites. (well, provided they’re up against Manticores or the like.)

For normal stacks, 20% isn’t enough to base strategies on. But it does mean your troops will live a good bit longer.

The 20% physical resistance can also stack with the Orc military governance that provides an additional 20% resistance, for a total of 40% physical resistance. Quite scary with shock troopers and crusaders.

SaintTodd

I think Archdruid has the weakest suite of combat spells, okay maybe Dreadnought is worse. But even with the addition of regrowth, I’d still take a Warlord, Theo, Sorcerer or even Rogue hero ahead of AD.

lucaluca

i don’t think any of those have better spells than ad other than sorcerer… but even then, it’s not like you can use all the spells… to be able to cast them, you have to sink upgrade points into sorcery and then you can cast 1-2 spells per battle considering they use lots of points…

NINJEW

dread’s spells aren’t good if you aren’t already rocking a machine army anyway, except for summon siege engine, which is kind of insanely good and probably worth building a hero around.

getting instant wrath on a theo hero and being able to throw that around is probably worth more than most things an AD caster can do, IMO. put that on your tankiest mother fucker and laugh. plus it has smite as the single most powerful nuke, not to mention blessing of health.

rogue gets quick dash, which is one of/the best cheap spell in the game, as well as some other very, very powerful late game spells, such as sadism, shadow form, and mass battlefield panic.

warlord gives you berserk spam and outrageously powerful cheap buffs, as well as bloodbath and relentless army.

necromancer has dark gift, scourge of the undead, and undying army. earlier levels suffer a bit but stiffen limbs is still really good.

honestly the only noteworthy spells i see for an AD hero are twisting vines and hornet swarm. which are both very good, but also both very dependant on army composition. twisting vines is practically OP if you have a ranged-focused army, but if you’re a warlord going for a berserker swarm, it’s kinda pointless. hornet swarm technically does more damage than chain lightning, but there’s no point in casting it if you’re fighting, say, goblins or a dreadnought. call ancestral spirits and call beast horde are both pretty good to have when you’re playing AD, but i don’t think i’d want to invest in a caster hero for either of those.

really looking at it, i’d probably want a caster AD hero the least out of all the classes. they all have some really, really powerful spellcasting options.

lucaluca

I never tried call beast horde yet, but it seems a different version of chaos rift which is very strong

Call ancestral spirit together with call lightening is very strong against small armies … You can basically tie up 3 units while you destroy them with the lightening

The rest is ok… Theocrats has smite which is very good but instant wrath? Not big of an effect tbh… Warlord did not use the spells much either so I don’t know… Shadow form is great but it tends to be disjuncture a lot…

Arcylis

Dude Instant Wrath is amazing, especially against players. For example, they are positioning to match up their pikemen vs your cavalry. It has so many applications and remains useful even late game.

NINJEW

instant wrath is one of the best buffs in the game, especially if you have some healers around

beast horde is not anywhere near as good as chaos rift. for one, it doesn’t hit your opponent with lightning every round. the units you get are also way worse.

call ancestral spirits is summon siege engine, but not as good. it’s pretty amazing on, say, your leader, if you’re playing AD, but for something i’d spend a hero’s CP on i don’t think it’s really worthwhile.

something being “disjuncted a lot” is kind of a big deal? that means it’s good! also i think you mean dispel :v anyways really any buff in the game you could say the same about. either be strategic with it and use it on someone to tie up their supports, or just go for sadism instead if you’re really scared of that :v

lucaluca

But beast horde lasts 7 turns vs 4 and summons 2-3 per turn?

greyclouds

I’m surprised no one mentioned the spell “Savage Rage!”

It’s so useful in the early game, and it still scales well on end-game animals as well. In the early game, a savage raged boar (tier I) has 13 damage, which is comparable to a tier II animal. The enhanced boar can also crush walls, has charge (+6 damage, for a 18 damage hit if it moves 4 hexes), armor piercing, and overwhelm.

Cast savage rage on a King Shock serpent, and it can deal 21 physical + 6 shock damage, and has all of the same bonuses listed above for the boar.

It’s a VERY useful spell!

NINJEW

But beast horde lasts 7 turns vs 4 and summons 2-3 per turn?

still wouldn’t call it worth dedicating a hero to, i’m afraid.

I’m surprised no one mentioned the spell “Savage Rage!”

mostly because we’re talking about ADs as heroes, not AD spells in general. as a hero, it’s not that useful of a spell, because it’s fairly unlikely for much any other classes to be fielding many animals. it’s pretty situationaly good though: you might be a fire spec’d warlord who’s summoning hellhounds, for instance.

lucaluca

So you would dedicate a hero to chaos rift? That’s also a lot of points?

Bob5

Savage Rage is also great for Warbreeds, Node Serpents, Eldritch Horrors, and Bone Collectors. Naga and Krakens can also be boosted with it.

NINJEW

So you would dedicate a hero to chaos rift? That’s also a lot of points?

nah i wouldn’t dedicate a hero to that either. not sure how that’s relevant

SaintTodd

I would. Chaos Rift is awesome in seige situations.

Klydon

Arch druid is a pretty powerful companion hero. If you like playing with a lot of heroes, it is a great support hero that goes well with someone who has good leadership as that is the weakest area.

AD has several “bane” spells that come in handy depending on who you are fighting. Going against machines, rust strike isn’t any fun to face. Cav based warlord armies don’t particularly care to run into revive instinct. Fast ground based forces won’t have any fun after twisting roots has been cast in support of friendly flyers and/or ranged damage units.

AD’s also have some worth while synergy with call lighting working very well after a thunderstorm has been summoned either by a wizard or by a Lord of the Deep.

ZHN_AK

I find AD heroes excellent. Nourishing meal is the best heal around, since it heals both the living and the dead, and one can use it preemptively.

AD heroes have very good party protections. They also have two great spells that come reasonably early, Twisting Roots and Vengeful Vines. Both are of course situational, but of great use when that situation arises.

They also have very nifty stuff with more levels. Call Lightning and Regrowth are excellent abilities to have.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.