Archon Legionary Balance

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Modding and Map Making Archon Legionary Balance

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  LordCameron 6 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

LordCameron

Hello there, I am making an Archon non-Revanant Dwelling mod like thing. The hope is to make it and the Revanants mutally exclusive based on alignment. For the mean time, what do you think of the first unit? I think it seems almost teir 2 material, but let me know.

Gloweye

Judging by the HP, it’s indeed T2 territory. If Volunteer+shield+holy champion+throw javelin is in there to stay, I’d call it T2. (also dependent on it’s Def/Res values…can’t see them.)

If you want it T2, i’d remove 10 HP+Volunteer+holy champion, and I’d still be plenty strong. However, I think T2 fits the idea better in this case.

As for true balance, testing works better than guessing, no matter how educated the guess.

Tombles
    Keymaster

It’s almost tier 2.5, it seems to have tier 2 stats and you’ve given it a ranged attack too.

If you want to try and keep the unit balanced, the best thing to do is to copy stats from an existing unit of the correct tier, and then tweak them. So, what I would do is:

– Copy the stats from a Human Crusader, since it seems closest to what you’re trying to make
    – For each thing I do to make the unit stronger in one area, make it weaker in another area. So, if I want to increase its Melee Damage, I might reduce it’s defense or HP.

There are a few other considerations though:

– Units from dwellings tend to be a bit stronger, since they’re harder to get.
    – Undead/Dedicated to X units tend to be a bit stronger, because they’re harder for a player to use.

For example, Archon infantry are extremely strong for tier 1, but that’s because you get them from a dwelling AND they’re undead AND dedicated to evil.

Tombles
    Keymaster

One last thing, when adding a unit to a dwelling you need to ask yourself:

– What does this unit bring to the table for a player?
    – Why would they use this Infantry instead of the one they can get from their barracks or a class unit?

This is another reason why Undead Archons are so strong. They don’t really bring anything new to the table, all races have basic infantry/archers, so instead they are cheap and have excellent stats, so they’re just flat out better than most race/class units.

This is a general comment though, not particularly aimed at the unit you’ve presented.

Fenraellis

(also dependent on it’s Def/Res values…can’t see them.)

Looks like 12 Def and a whopping 12 Res.

Gloweye

(also dependent on it’s Def/Res values…can’t see them.)

Looks like 12 Def and a whopping 12 Res.

That’s pretty strong, and could certainly kill whichever T2 you put against it. Bring both of these to 10 to get it close to balance. Take one more point of resistance in addition to my other suggestions to take it to T1 balance.

LordCameron

Thank you for all the suggestions. I think I’ll try to nerf it to make a T 1.5 similar to the unit it would replace (Archon infantry), so that my mod isn’t full of overpowered things. I imagine the Saint for example is going to be ridiculous no matter what I do.

Gloweye

Thank you for all the suggestions. I think I’ll try to nerf it to make a T 1.5 similar to the unit it would replace (Archon infantry), so that my mod isn’t full of overpowered things. I imagine the Saint for example is going to be ridiculous no matter what I do.

There’s more space at a support. Me and BBB were brainstorming one that had Floating and Lesser Resurrect, which would balance out against no ranged attack.

LordCameron

There’s more space at a support. Me and BBB were brainstorming one that had Floating and Lesser Resurrect, which would balance out against no ranged attack.

Yeah, I forgot they had no ranged, that is a rather large disadvantage. On the note of the saint are you keeping water walking? I’m trying to think of what advantage, beyond being a Jesus allusion it provides. Does that improve water travel or combat in some way I can’t remember?

Gloweye

Floating = Head in the clouds? Wasn’t really water walking AFAIK. Just floating out of holyness.

LordCameron

Jesus or the Saint? 😛
    Because the Saint unit had both. Nice pun by the way 😀

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.