Awaken Spirit ability

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Update v1.5 – Open Beta Balance Awaken Spirit ability

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Akinaba 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

alf978

I kinda like it, I’m wondering though, if it would be too much if it could also affect monsters, but say, on a cooldown, 2 or 3 rounds. And maybe increase the cost of the Hero upgrade to 3 instead of 2? Like a much lesser savage rage…

Right now, I’m using it primarily on my gryphons. (I’m playing WL and DN games, so no animal summoning for me. And the low level animal rewards, while handy in the early game, simply don’t have the staying power to last very long. But I do end up with plenty of different monsters, Yetis, Warbreeds, Feathered serpents, etc.)

So it would stay more relevant longer in the game, even for non-ArchDruid leaders..
    Just an idea…

n0rf

Imho all permanent bufs must be limited somehow by mana or by numer of uses (once per battle). If not there is always possible situation when one attacking player will be sitting and buffing all his forces with free bufs, like it was with bless, when one hero were trying to cast it on whole army.
    That is why I suggest set limit for it once per battle. Of course it must be awaken spirit must be buffed for this. I like ur idea with affecting monsters too. Also small buff to damage or maybe maximum of movement speed won,t hurt too

Tombles
    Keymaster

The problem is that Spiders and Serpents count as animals, and they’re tier 3/tier 4, so as an Archdruid, this problem doesn’t really happen. Also, Awaken is on Shamans, so buffing the ability will have a much bigger impact on AD than on warlord or dreadnaught. You do still have Savage Rage on your AD heroes, if you have a warbreed that needs buffing.

n0rf

I agree it’s a good point about not to allow this spell on monsters. But there is still a problem with gold wyvern which is called often by Summon Eldritch Animal. I suggest replacing it by flying animal.
    I checked, there are no other non-animal creatures, so replacement of wyvern should solve problem when you can’t use your ability for druid and won’t affect other classes’ units.

Sunicle

Right now, I’m using it primarily on my gryphons. (I’m playing WL and DN games, so no animal summoning for me…

Just curious; how did you get Awaken Spirit as a warlord or dreadnought? An item?

Dagoth Ur

Arch Druid hero.

alf978

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>alf978 wrote:</div>
    Right now, I’m using it primarily on my gryphons. (I’m playing WL and DN games, so no animal summoning for me…

Just curious; how did you get Awaken Spirit as a warlord or dreadnought? An item?

Yup, Dagoth Ur hit it on the head.
    I had two AD heroes during my last game, and I gave only one of them Awaken Spirit.
    By the time I got the second one, I didn’t have enough animals, or even just T2 animals to justify the upgrade points…

The problem is that Spiders and Serpents count as animals, and they’re tier 3/tier 4, so as an Archdruid, this problem doesn’t really happen. Also, Awaken is on Shamans, so buffing the ability will have a much bigger impact on AD than on warlord or dreadnaught. You do still have Savage Rage on your AD heroes, if you have a warbreed that needs buffing.

Would it be terribly wrong to ask, if maybe Unicorns could receive the animal tag as well as the current fey tag?
    I mean the Wyvern has both monster and dragon tag, so it’s not quite unheard of.
    I understand that would make Unicorns subject to the animal slayer trait, but most units/abilities already target fey anyway, i.e. DN upgrades, Monster Hunters, etc.. The Hunter would be an exception though..

I don’t know, just trying to think of options to make it more attractive if there were at least more T2 animals available in general?
    There aren’t alot of ‘producible’ animals… LOL

It’s just a shot in the wind.. 🙂

Fenraellis

I checked, there are no other non-animal creatures

Cockatrice as well, actually.

Anyway, I see it as ‘Animal’ type creatures are, generally speaking, the creatures that rely almost entirely on animal instinct. ‘Monster’ type creatures, on the other hand, have at least some greater degree of sentience to them.
    Monsters still utilize their instincts more than the more ‘civilized'(Dragons and Naga may disagree on the term) races, but have enough that they can still be the target of the Savage Rage spell, and other related concepts.

Akinaba

In may POW actually awaken spirit is not so usefull becuse as AD you usually have more then one or two Animals in the army any you can not afford to firstly buff each of them and only THEN go into battle you simply have no time. You have generally only one awaken spirit touch and then good to go that’s all for trade off of one turn of the shaman and the slot of shaman itself. You still have savage rage, but… it’s also has one unit effect so when youu are fielding an army of animals you can not afford to buff every of them consequently before you actually go int engagemant, but that buffs are very important concidering how weak some T1 units are.

All in all I can handle with Awaken Spirit for now (though not actually use it too much) but I thought that this ability could also have some offensive effect so you could diversify it’s tactics a bit. What am I saying is say make it be able to put on enemy mounts to attempt inflict ferral mounts on them and/or maybe have some -200 morale effect on enemy animals.

Same I thought about befriend animal – it also could have an effect on enemy mounts as well. Also I thought about Inflict Daze effect on failing of Befriend Animal ability. Oh, a befriend animal sohuld remove any Good, Bad, or Neutral dedication on animal as does AD’s summon spell.

In the end of the day I think revive instinc could do something with an enemy animals, like say cause -300 happiness, or make them also feral (however this effect does not suppose to be applied on animals right now).

On a topic: I do not believe Awaken Spirit soould be able to applied on monsters (since there are such monsters as bone collector and other undead things) unless it will affect any monsters that are not undead… But I do believe that this ability could use some buff (+1 movement maybe could also be nice, though I thought it coould be used by Savage Rage initially).

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.