Blight Elemental medal upgrades

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Blight Elemental medal upgrades

This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Bob5 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Bob5

Blight Elemental medal upgrades are boring, they don’t get any new skill. All the other T3 elementals get something. Fire gets Killing Momentum and Charge which are awesome for it, Earth gets Tireless, Spirit Elemental gets Projectile Reflection, Frost reduces its weaknesses, and so on, except for Blight Elementals which get nothing apart from the damage and bulky buffs that every unit gets. I’ve been thinking about what could be added to them, they already have pretty much every blight debuff available at start, but I still came up with some ideas for stuff it could get at gold:

Skills that already exists in game
    -Gas Breath (probably too OP in combination with Weakening though, especially when the elementals are spammed)
    -Bloated with Gas (sort of blight version of explosive death, currently it only exists as part of the Spontaneous Mutation spell from wild magic)
    -Throw Filth
    -Throw Curse
    -Blight Concealment

Because they’re already in the game, they might make it in 1.5 if devs are up for it. I also have some more fun ideas, although they involve skills that don’t exist yet in the game, so they’d probably have to wait for patch 1.6.

Ideas for skills not yet in the game
    -Disgusting Explosion (Blight-themed explosive death that also gives all adjacent units Disgusting Stench. Possibly extended with the ability to inflict other blight debuffs as well on death)
    -Inflict Disgusting Stench (Ranged and melee attacks cover the opponents in filthy blighty green goo which smells disgusting)
    -Inflict Bloated with Gas (weakening breath spam, then exploit their blight weakness when they still stay close together by giving them blight explosive death)
    -Poison aura (Gives blight damage when struck in melee, has a chance to inflict random blight debuff as well)
    -Exploit disease (Blight elemental does extra blight damage for every blight debuff that the target is suffering from).

Discuss, feel free to criticize ideas or come up with your own ideas, etc.

Mythabril

How about Swallow Whole? That’s what the blight does: Engulf the land and gain strength through it.

Shaithias

I think inflict bloated with gas would be a cool medal. Imagine…. just breathe on the enemy, get some dark…. errr I mean High elf archers firing at the enemies and watch the chain reaction go!

Bob5

How about Swallow Whole? That’s what the blight does: Engulf the land and gain strength through it.

I like the idea. The idea of being eaten/consumed by some floating freak of toxic green goo may be more terrifying than being eaten by Krakens. I’m just not sure if the Blight Elementals are large enough in size to justify it on lore reasons, the Kraken and Glutton are both quite a bit larger. What do others think?

I think inflict bloated with gas would be a cool medal. Imagine…. just breathe on the enemy, get some dark…. errr I mean High elf archers firing at the enemies and watch the chain reaction go!

That’s the idea. Inflicting enemy units with explosive deaths is a mechanic that is not yet in the game at all, yet it would certainly be interesting and cool.

Ludomancer

I like the ideas posted so far. How about this?

Toxic Aura: Adjacent units gain -30% Corruption Weakness [includes friendlies]
    Trail of Ooze: Leaves toxic ooze on any hex it has passed through. The ooze lasts 2 turns. Any unit that begins its turn in an Ooze hex or that moves onto Ooze takes 5 corruption damage.
    Inflict Rot: Causes the effect of the Rot spell to a machine/armored unit. Medium range.

Ludomancer

Gloweye

TBH, I quite like the mass debuffs that Blight Elementals allow. I don’t see a reason for a buff…

Bob5

TBH, I quite like the mass debuffs that Blight Elementals allow. I don’t see a reason for a buff…

It’s not so much about them being UP and needing a buff, I don’t think they’re really UP for a T3, it’s more about flavor and having fun using them. I think that Blight Elementals, being summoned from a secret spell or evolved from randomly obtained Lesser elementals, aren’t really significant to the overall balance, I think that reasonably small changes to it, like additions that only affect gold medal Blight Elementals, fall into the scatter region of balance (negligible influence compared to the influence of the RNG on outcome of games). You can’t ever rely on a strategy for using these in numbers until you get the secret spell, and truth be told, there are far more powerful secret spells out there than Summon Blight Elemental (like Mass Curse, Mass Bless, Summon Phoenix, Great Awakening, Greater Life Stealing, etc). This is also the reason why I didn’t post this in a balance forum, I think of it more as making them more fun and interesting to use. Currently they just don’t really get any more interesting when leveling, you just get everything immediately. I like getting new abilities when leveling, it makes the units more fun.

In any case, if they’d indeed be OP due to additions of gold medal upgrades, they could probably be nerfed in a different area to compensate. They could get a slightly larger fire or spirit weakness, or have one or two of their inflict debuffs moved from base to bronze, or similar.

Bob5

Toxic Aura: Adjacent units gain -30% Corruption Weakness [includes friendlies]<br>
    Trail of Ooze: Leaves toxic ooze on any hex it has passed through. The ooze lasts 2 turns. Any unit that begins its turn in an Ooze hex or that moves onto Ooze takes 5 corruption damage.<br>
    Inflict Rot: Causes the effect of the Rot spell to a machine/armored unit. Medium range.

I like the ideas. Keep them coming. And share your opinions :).

Bob5

Shamelessly bumping this :D.

Ravenholme

Toxic Aura: Adjacent units gain -30% Corruption Weakness [includes friendlies]<br>
    Trail of Ooze: Leaves toxic ooze on any hex it has passed through. The ooze lasts 2 turns. Any unit that begins its turn in an Ooze hex or that moves onto Ooze takes 5 corruption damage.<br>

Ludomancer

Some of these (especially Trail of Ooze) makes me wish we had an Ooze/Slime/Gelatinous Cube enemy. Would be a neat addition for an UG specific mob (a bit like Kobolds)

Zaskow

Actually I like idea to add something special for Blight elemental. He’s pretty weak against blight protected units which are very common.

-Inflict Disgusting Stench (Ranged and melee attacks cover the opponents in filthy blighty green goo which smells disgusting)

This ability is present on throw filth for dread monkeys.

I suggest inflict weakening on elite/expert.

Bob5

Actually I like idea to add something special for Blight elemental. He’s pretty weak against blight protected units which are very common.

This I don’t really mind as much, most elementals are pretty weak when they have to face units with protection of their element (Spirit Elementals are especially fun as you can use Steal Enchantment to steal their Iron Hearts from them for free Strong Will).

Bob5 wrote:

This ability is present on throw filth for dread monkeys.

True, the difference being that Inflict Disgusting Stench would trigger on regular melee attacks and along the Weakening Breath, instead of a separate ability that does it.

I suggest inflict weakening on elite/expert.

When I initially created this thread that ability didn’t exist yet, and for a new ability it seemed to me a bit like not adding much with Blight Elementals already having two ways to inflict that debuff. Weakening breath already does it, so it’d only affect the melee attacks (or proc double on the breath). My tactic with Blight Elementals is often to have one or two use Weakening Breath to cause massive debuffs, and then bring in the others for melee damage to deal the heavy damage. In that case a portion of enemies would already be weakened, so it wouldn’t add that much. That said, Blight Elementals benefit greatly from weakening enemies, and it’s an appropriate ability for them, it just wouldn’t be my first pick.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.