blood

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

This topic contains 27 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by  vfxrob 8 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author

Hi all,

just played a bit of the original AoW. One of the first things that struck me is that battles are much bloodier, and battlefields are much bigger, meaning that battlefield speed (i.e. movement) is more impactful.

I am wondering how bloody AoW3 will be, and how big the battlefields. For the second, everything points towards a quicker, smaller, more focused battlefield, but one can always hope, right?

Where’s this edit button?

Anyway, another thing I noticed is that the pace of a game seems much quicker.

TirAsleen

just played a bit of the original AoW. One of the first things that struck me is that battles are much bloodier, and battlefields are much bigger, meaning that battlefield speed (i.e. movement) is more impactful.
    I am wondering how bloody AoW3 will be, and how big the battlefields. For the second, everything points towards a quicker, smaller, more focused battlefield, but one can always hope, right?

Good catch! We had these talks about blood and splatter lacking in aow sequels over on heavengames. aow2+ units felt more like lifeless puppets, when they drop to the ground with zero hp remaining. could be more death animations and blood, similar to fallout1+2.(never bothered with 3 duh)

I think it added some funny atmosphere to the game, i mean it was bloody, but it was not a gorefest either. Yeah battlefield should be bigger, but still played out faster than in aow2 meaning the tactical map. Who can spend 30 min in a 4-6 player ffa game in each tactical combat map? It adds up and you are forced to play 4-6hours straight. development time of bulidings could be reduced on the global map too, not very interesting gameplay here, but a time killer.

I believe that the game is for people aged 14 +. need more blood on their clothes and the floor. otherwise the game will lose a little more realism

Brother JO

In every aow game there was an option to turn off/on blood effects.So if anybody doesn’t want to see blood effects they can turn them off.

+1 for more bloody battles 😀

TirAsleen

I believe that the game is for people aged 14 +. need more blood on their clothes and the floor. otherwise the game will lose a little more realism

Maybe that was considered for age of wonders 2. That was over 10 years ago. No one i know in the community is 14. I am 34. AoW has a strong and loyal fanbase, that did not disappear in all those years. If all, i just need to point at aow1’s blood level anyways. I would take aow1 blood animations and extend it to fallout levels. Maybe aow1 blood/deathanimations baseline, and on/off fallout deathanimation(more gore)

SiaFu

I think AoW1 is the bloodiest TBS strategy I’ve ever seen. Not just the fatalities (like Fallout) – every successful hit would create terrain persistent blood spatter worthy of Dexter (and not just red blood, they had green for creatures). I remember MoM had small red/green/black hit splotches (depending on target’s metabolism) signifying when hits landed. AoW1 was definitely more gruesome in this aspect, almost like WH40K: Dawn of War (which is a RTS, I know).

AoW2 and Shadow magic were, despite fancier graphics, tamer. I guess we can thank ESRB for that.

Perhaps a parental control setting in the game options could be a solution?

+1 for AoW1-style splatterfests

(Not just newer fantasy games have blood and gore aplenty: check out Mooonstone on Amiga – around 08:57  at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLMFybclOJM )

Andocair

Violence and blood in video games became far more of an issue since the release of AoW1 due to increasingly realistic graphics. While I compleetely agree, that corpses on the ground shold come with some blood, to add to a battlefields athenticity, I can see why it was left out in AoW2.

Age restricted DLC to enable blood decals could be a possibility. Especialy if the game is sold via Steam.

BlaneckW

I never really noticed.

SiaFu

I wouldn’t think DLC is the right choice for something that could be a checkbox somewhere in the options tree. Who would spend money for something that could be modded-in if it’s already in the game code (and remember the coffee mod GTA affair)?

Anyway, I find ridiculous the idea that pixelated ketchup spurts could do much harm to a person’s moral fibre in a game that’s has killing stuff for XP at its core, units that drive other unit’s souls out of their bodies and veiled genocide that is “migration” of cities (Mommy, where did all those Orc babies go when my Archons got there?) Simply removing blood from violence is just pulling wool over people’s eyes (sheep reference intentional).
    Personally, I find some news reports more cringeworthy or outright disturbing because I know they’re real. And you don’t see a big red (18) label on them, just a half-hearted “viever discretion” disclaimer you might miss while zapping your TV remote.

Examples for comparison, the show CSI is rated (12) on IMDB, and they’ve had more red pixels in their post-mortem detail shots than any AoW1 battle. And I find that gore more disturbing than fantasy game violence because CSI’s is usually feasible (if sometimes not quite believable).
    The Monty Python’s Holy Grail is rated (15) and it has this bit:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKhEw7nD9C4
    which was re-created in Battle Chess, but with less blood spurts.
    Then again, The Meaning of Life is rated (18), but I don’t think it was because of the organ donor scene.

Brother JO

I agree that blood should be not included in dlc. And I disliked total war’s attitude in this matter.They didn’t had blood in original game(or I did not noticed) and blood was a seperate dlc.

Blood is created with the game itself. And paying extra to have that when it should be included in game seems stupid.It should be added in as an option.And it would be even better if players can chose how much blood they want, like this :

No blood effects ,

less blood effects (little amount of blood is spilled when units get hit) ,

normal blood effects ( medium amount of blood is spilled) ,

high blood effects ( Blood is highly spilled and units can lose limbs/heads and can be torn into pieces by monsters or eaten by dragon etc, and monster kill effect like cutting dragons wings ,landing swords/spears into beholder’s eye etc. )

Andocair

Not every DLC has to be paid for. Having the option to turn blood off would not affect the age rating in any way. Offering a free DLC to add it in might allow for a lower rating.

Of course I too would be happiest with a simple solution like a checkbox in the options menu. But for some contrived reason video games aren’t allowed as much violence as movies. -.-

Barlo

When my orc overlord dies ı rly want see the huge blood flow  on grassy terrain as ıts in original Aow .So +1 for blood.

SiaFu

OK, judging from the pre-alpha gameplay footage, the game will have on-hit blood: nice red  procedural blood spurts for all  (including the bone dragon, the Hero didn’t bleed for some reason). I’m positive this was just because of the early production stage and there will be some other-colored ichor for creatures and undead, or splinters for mechanical units.

There’s no pooling of blood on the ground as in AoW1 (yet?) – evidenced by the Elven crusader that was terminally knocked back over 10m. Persistent corpses are in (for each squad member!) – only they’re currently very clean and bloodless.

All in all it seems promising: just gritty enough, not over the top like Dawn of War.  The only thing missing are AoW1-style terrain blood spatter decals. Since there are surely going to be terrain damaging spells (Earth, Fire sphere), I hope they add these as well.

NEHZ

For addional bonus points that will probably make many players go ‘WTF?’: have blood freeze and boil or evaporate when hit by freezing/fire spells/effects. (or perhaps just let those effects show on the corpses)

Any news on whether we are getting pools of blood like AOW1 in AOW3? *prays*

AwesomeLion

Gief blood plix =)

simo_87

im +1 for blood too.
    when my elf swordsman gets hit by a catapult i want him to splatter. the amount of blood should be determined by the attack type used to kill something and the amount of damage dealt on the final blow

sindustry

Blood and splatter effects were definitely awesome in aow 1,i hope to see those in upcoming game.

Edelfred

Since Germany has prohibition of blood/gore I’d advice to keep to bloodless combat.
    German market is way too big to loose it- because of few red drops is not a good option.
    Some games have a German option with less gore . If you are a fan of series you, of course, are interested that more people bought the game so developers can go on with expansions and DLC packs .That is why the German anti-gore censure question is important.
    For example, Rome Total War 2 made a DLC pack blood/gore it means they can sell the game in Germany ,but for those who want little extra there is an option to get that pack-smart.

Motarcanus

rofl – couldn’t imagine blood such a big deal to people

I’m just looking forward to good gameplay – it’s been too long a wait for a good fantasy/magic 4x game. Blood not priority for me.

albinscott

“Blood pools! We want blood pools!!!”
    🙂

Thariorn

As Edelfred said, Germany is werid when it comes to censure…..

So..if it is possible either have a normal international version with blood/gore/splatters and a lowviolence version for germany,cuz we germans love the’I kill you…with this carrot,my sword would be to violent.’ or have the gore come with a free dlc to sneak past ESRB 😛

But hell yeah, I want the pre 2004 gore back in ma games 😀

Lennart Sas
    Keymaster

I miss Myth: the fallen lords style splatter and decal in games too. 😀 Times have changed…

I think we have a good amount of violence with impact splatter, corpses being grittied up, and knock back death.

And yes, DLC is subject to the same rating as the main game.

Thariorn

That’s good to hear Lennart.

War Troll

Blood is needed for realism. I mean, when a unicorn stabs a Dragon with it’s horn, it has to be realistic.

NuMetal

Blood is needed for realism. I mean, when a unicorn stabs a Dragon with it’s horn, it has to be realistic.

😀

rofl – couldn’t imagine blood such a big deal to people

I really really hate this 🙁

Imagine after years of playing a cracked version of Left4Dead2 (uncensored) you buy it legally (via Steam) only to find out there is not one pixel of blood left in the game because you live in the wrong country :'(

vfxrob

@Lennart Sas

There’s a blast from the past! not going to do exploding gore? that’s OK i love corpses mostly littering the battlefield…

Really curious now about this knock back death? will this be like a rag doll effect?

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.