Bringing sexy back to the AoW III interface

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Bringing sexy back to the AoW III interface

This topic contains 108 replies, has 60 voices, and was last updated by  Cosmicwitch 8 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 109 total)
  • Author

Tomipapa

Half extra (30-15) is not good. In what world is that good. Perhaps in a pure voting system for 1 or the other, but when we can many different alternatives i think you are just blind to the fact that it is bad.

Approximately 10% of the people don’t care 30% think it’s worse than the old one and 60% say it’s better. So twice as many people say it’s good than bad and imo that’s enough. But what is the amount when you say “oh it’s enough”, only at 80 or 90 percentage? But ok, let’s say Triumph will create a new one, can you guarantee that the result of the vote will be 80/20 or 90/10? Of course not. It might be 60/40 or 50/50 then Triumph have no other choice just to create new fonts again and again and again…

TheSyron

I think that it’s an improvement (and votes as thus) but it’s still not perfect. Then again, I know nothing of fonts so I don’t know how you would improve it. New font could be bigger and more stylized letters wouldn’t hurt either.

Archgod

Worse. Difficult to read.

melkathi

I find the old font a bit dull. A lot of games go with the simplistic approach these days and it can cheapen the experience. A PC game should not have an interface that looks as if it was made for tablets.
    That said, I am not a fan of the new font either. Especially in the second screenshot, the white on black looks rather blurry.
    So I’d vote for a slightly fantasy looking font that is as readable, clean and crisp as possible.

danielvv1

it’s definitely better! the old one is plain tasteless, didn’t even look like it was made for this game, looked like you picked one of the Office’s standard fonts and put in the game. the new is more fantasy-like, and were it up to me I would make it even more.

I don’t really get what people are complaining about this new one. have you guys never played diablo? neverwinter nights? AoW1, 2 or SM? all these games have stylized fonts, that adds up to the feeling of uniqueness and the fantasy mood, most of them fonts harder to read than this one but still very easy.

Definitely better.

You’ve got to be aware of presentation and differentiation in the marketing of a game.

One of the main draws of Age of Wonders is that it’s a fantasy empire builder that isn’t too Civvy.

It’s important to stand out from other games and the day-to-day web traffic as something with a different flavor.

HellBrick

By the way, I have a font-related question for the devs. How are they [the fonts] gonna work with other languages? Personally I couldn’t care less about the localizations, but there are tons of people in this savage country who wouldn’t play the game at all unless it’s translated to their native language. And even if the game is not localized to a language, there are still things like in-game chat for online games and diplomacy messages for PBEM games.

If these fonts don’t have the glyphs for the officially supported languages, then the poll and the topic doesn’t matter outside the English-speaking coutries, because each local community / localization agency will replace them with something that works in the region (pretty much like we did in AoW 2).

But it’s the age of Unicode now, so I really hope this is not the case. So if it’s not, can we see how these fonts are gonna look in other languages? Because I’ve seen cases when even the incredibly popular common fonts are localized poorly (there’s one very simple example – Lucida Sans Unicode, it looks awesome in English, but Russian version of it sucks).

And when writing this post, another simple thought came to mind, the one that probably should have come sooner. How difficult is it gonna be to change the game fonts? For AoW 2 the process was very easy, which resulted in a couple of unofficial font sets the people can choose from, and I think this possibility may come in handy. I don’t say we need a supported mechanism to select the font in settings and stuff like that, AoW2-like approach would work perfectly.

melkathi

I don’t really get what people are complaining about this new one. have you guys never played diablo? neverwinter nights? AoW1, 2 or SM? all these games have stylized fonts, that adds up to the feeling of uniqueness and the fantasy mood, most of them fonts harder to read than this one but still very easy.

I was actually thinking of all those games while looking at the fonts. I always enjoyed the fonts in the Age of Wonders series. With Diablo (or at least 2 since that is what I played) I rmember some numbers were terrible. I think it was 5 and 6 which could easily be confused? So I hope the fonts we end up with are better than Diablo. 🙂

vfxrob

I love the illustration and the scroll background!, the only thing I feel is out of place is all the blue parts, like the buttons and the unit card interface, this could be just me too! But I thought the unit card and the diplomacy could have the same paper or board game feel, BG colour wise and decoration like the concept sketches, The blue just takes it out of the fantasy a little for me. The buttons are not that big of a deal I understand they need to stick out for visibility but when I look at the the scroll where it has start it has this nice clean button and looks like it doesn’t belong where everything else seems more blened like the spells are actually part of the book..

But what is the amount when you say “oh it’s enough”, only at 80 or 90 percentage?

If the question was phrased different then the results may end up quite different. Looking at all the comments you can see so many of the pro voters saying that they think its better only due to the fact that it isnt a basic font but that it is very flawed.

The fact that 30% say its bad and you have many comments saying that its nigh illegible then at least this font is a no no.

Im not saying make a new font every time someone disagrees with it, but when one is so flawed (with multiple flaws pointed out) then its time to take all that info and apply it to the next font.

This sort of thing can happen multiple times in games design and it is not something to be taken lightly. Although its a lot of work it is a crucial aspect of the design and should appeal to as many people as possible.

The first or second iteration is more often than not far from the end result.

Tomipapa

all the comments you can see so many of the pro voters saying that they think its better only due to the fact that it isnt a basic font but that it is very flawed.

Then you know that these people want even more fantasy looking fonts? I saw AoW 2 or even AoW 1 as an example at least 5 times, which is less readable than this. So if Trumph make a new one, probably that will be even more fantasy looking so you and the others who dont like the new one will be more disappointed.

Btw the old one is looking like some cheap facebook game fonts, and it has no place in a well respected fantasy game like Age of Wonders

HellBrick

The problem with the new font is not the fact that it is fantasy-looking, but the fact that it is poorly designed and applied to the places it shouldn’t be applied to. I’d say two things are clear from the poll and the comments:

1. The audience wants a fantasy font;
    2. The audience wants a good font.

There’s no reason why these two qualities can’t coexist.

Tomipapa

I’d say two things are clear from the poll and the comments:

That’s not exactly true. Many who didn’t like the new one said they want the most readable one. And fantasy fonts are always less readable than normal ones. So for them a fantasy font is a big no, no matter how good is it.

Tomipapa

Sorry for the double post late to edit.

Imo Heroes 5 has some good fonts(one of the few things good in that game…)
    It’s fantasy, good looking and readable(for me at least)

fonts

danielvv1

I was actually thinking of all those games while looking at the fonts. I always enjoyed the fonts in the Age of Wonders series. With Diablo (or at least 2 since that is what I played) I rmember some numbers were terrible. I think it was 5 and 6 which could easily be confused? So I hope the fonts we end up with are better than Diablo.

yes, diablo’s font made the confusion with 5 or 6, but I don’t really care, it IS readable, in spite of complaints. in diablo 1 specially, its pseudo-gothic style added just so much to the dark mood of the game, as much as the creepy sound track.
    and Heroes5 was also cited here, another great example of a font appropriate for fantasy games (although I would prefer it slightly thinner and smaller).

and it just came to my mind Lords of the Realm 2, a game from the 90’s that ran in Windows98… not a fantasy game, more a middle ages historical game, it used the gothic handwriting in the entire game, and it was awesome.

edit: correct typos

ignatius

Couldn’t the game allow you to choose the font? It’s easy (i think) and will set to everyone.

I’m rather fond of the new font because it is slightly more elaborate and gives a hint of early printing, that is especially appropriate for the new dreadnought class. I’m also having trouble understanding peoples’ complaints about its illegibility: They both seem perfectly readable to me.

Finally, even if there is a slight drop in “readability” (How do we know without a randomized study of game-player reaction time based on reading the information? Do the developers have such a table, and if they do, can they release the scores? I’d like for there to be empirical element to this debate: for all we know, the new script could in fact be more readable!) I don’t see that as a huge problem in a turn based strategy game.

After all, this isn’t Starcraft, where every second of furious clicking counts, and small delays can lead to certain doom. Isn’t it worth it to have a more developed, fantasy feeling world even if it takes you 1.1 times as long to extract information? Shouldn’t you stop to admire the unit pictures, the rendering of Monster Lairs, brooks and trees etc? That is what fantasy is all about, after all: pausing in our mad modern lives to appreciate the stories that only unfold if you forget utilitarian efficiency for a little while.

terrahero

The fact that 30% say its bad and you have many comments saying that its nigh illegible then at least this font is a no no.

I dont care strongly one way or another. But 30% of the people did NOT say its bad. They said they prefered the old one. They might still like the new font, but just liked the old one a little better.
    Thats not the same as saying its bad.

The same applies to Better. It doesnt mean people think its good, just better. It might be that someone hated the old one just a little more then the new one. So, he thinks its better. Not good, just better.

This poll is not equiped to answer that question.

Tomipapa

I’m also having trouble understanding peoples’ complaints about its illegibility: They both seem perfectly readable to me.

Yeah, i also think the same.

Finally, even if there is a slight drop in “readability” (How do we know without a randomized study of game-player reaction time based on reading the information? Do the developers have such a table, and if they do, can they release the scores? I’d like for there to be empirical element to this debate: for all we know, the new script could in fact be more readable!) I don’t see that as a huge problem in a turn based strategy game.

After all, this isn’t Starcraft, where every second of furious clicking counts, and small delays can lead to certain doom. Isn’t it worth it to have a more developed, fantasy feeling world even if it takes you 1.1 times as long to extract information? Shouldn’t you stop to admire the unit pictures, the rendering of Monster Lairs, brooks and trees etc? That is what fantasy is all about, after all: pausing in our mad modern lives to appreciate the stories that only unfold if you forget utilitarian efficiency for a little while.

Well said, you really hit the spot with this. 🙂

Then you know that these people want even more fantasy looking fonts? I saw AoW 2 or even AoW 1 as an example at least 5 times, which is less readable than this. So if Trumph make a new one, probably that will be even more fantasy looking so you and the others who dont like the new one will be more disappointed.

Im not saying dont make it look less fantasy, just make it clear. Why use a font when you have a slight chance of 2 digits looking similar or any 2 set next to each other over lapping etc. If thats fantasy then yes .. i dont want fantasy text.

There’s no reason why these two qualities can’t coexist.

This is really true, the best answer for the best of both worlds – a good font that addresses the issues that both sides want. Complete legibility (no similar digits or overlapping, sensible-ish numbers, etc) in a fantasy curvy text.

Id be happy with this, though i understand it is not … curvy(?) enough for the fantasy enthusiasts here but taken slightly further i can see it working:

http://www.dafont.com/styllo.font?fpp=50&psize=s

Murcelago

My vote also goes for an option in game menu to choose font.

Also, could we have some more “fantasy” interface? Because those blue boxes

are maybe a bit too modern. How about more gray-green interface with stone texture like we had in previous AoWs?

I really, really like the new font. It fits perfectly with the game “ethos” that I have observed in AOW’s screenshots.

While I completely understand and value alternate opinions, I’m really hopeful that the new font makes it into the game. There are few games left that make a serious effort to make sure every game aspect contributes seamlessly to the whole which IMHO this font does.

So excited for this game! 🙂

My two cents: The new font is much better. While the “old, but modern” font might be “cleaner”, I fail to see how any literate person could actually struggle to read the new font!

Sure, if the Dev team has nothing better to spend time and resources on, they can always try to make som miniscule improvements to the new font, but as long as we’ve get the new and aesthetic font, I’ll be happy!

are maybe a bit too modern. How about more gray-green interface with stone texture like we had in previous AoWs?

I think that’s just a placeholder for now. Frankly, I think that the color is fine, although it should change from class to class (dreadnaughts have to have rust red, browns and black, Theocrats Gold and Blue, etc).

I’d also like to see slight race based inflections on the class colors (every High Elf faction, whatever the class, must have some silver, green and gold: How can the Eldar forget the Moon and Sun and Trees entirely?)

for elaborations, we need some volutes, pediments, and some industrial effects (smoke, shadow, a hint of vast smokestacks) for the dreadnought specifically. The degree of elaborateness could also be higher for the Rouges (to show corruption and decadence), and ruination higher for Warlords (to show pure destructive prowess).

Finally, if at all possible, I’d like to see a “morality impact” on something visual, so that we can see that all the massacres and betrays make your leader become a “dread” whatever class it is rather than a “noble” one.

Mediin

Actually, i thought it’s common knowledge not to use serif-fonts for text on a computer display. It strenghtens the eyes more.

That beeing said: I have actually no problem with both. When in doubt, make it configurable.

vfxrob

Ooh the font debate! I am for the new font.

It kinda looks like the old printing presses they had in church’s for the bible or something. If anything id have it more illegible (although I understand people would have a problem with this!) So the current is fine!

print

If I had a wish list they would have fancy decals in the beginning of the letters,
    Decals

Oh and this is completely off topic, but use those awesome Netherland accents in this game!! Use it for the potential ’empire dwarf’ that would be off the chain!

Murcelago

I’d also like to see slight race based inflections on the class colors (every High Elf faction, whatever the class, must have some silver, green and gold: How can the Eldar forget the Moon and Sun and Trees entirely?)
    for elaborations, we need some volutes, pediments, and some industrial effects (smoke, shadow, a hint of vast smokestacks) for the dreadnought specifically. The degree of elaborateness could also be higher for the Rouges (to show corruption and decadence), and ruination higher for Warlords (to show pure destructive prowess).
    Finally, if at all possible, I’d like to see a “morality impact” on something visual, so that we can see that all the massacres and betrays make your leader become a “dread” whatever class it is rather than a “noble” one.

I like that idea! Would be awesome if your customisation(race, class, alignment) affected on interface.

Tawni

I prefer the old one. It’s much more readable.

Anyway, why not both? Why not let players choose their font, or better, let players load their own font into the game. (I suppose this might be possible with mods, but I mean a more “official” way).

Funny… Some people here admit they know nothing about fonts, yet vote and voice their opinions on something they’ve just said they know nothing about. Typical democracy.

Loading custom fonts would be great IMHO. We could load our own soundtrack so why not fonts? It shouldn’t be so difficult from dev point.

The two fonts presented should both go in the bin. The old one is dull, boring, has no character as if it was designed by someone at Apple Inc. The new one looks as if someone used an old-timey typewriter, heavily worn-out and a bit broken at that. None fits a fantasy game. The original AOW1, even though it mostly generic celtic font, still works much better than any of those (although I want to see something fresher than generic celtic fonts).

Murcelago

Funny… Some people here admit they know nothing about fonts, yet vote and voice their opinions on something they’ve just said they know nothing about. Typical democracy.

Well, the Studio asked community for opinions on new font so why hold our voices? Can’t blame us for doing what we were asked for.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 109 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.