Bringing sexy back to the AoW III interface

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Bringing sexy back to the AoW III interface

This topic contains 108 replies, has 60 voices, and was last updated by  Cosmicwitch 8 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 19 posts - 91 through 109 (of 109 total)
  • Author

CEZ

I think I prefer the old one, sure it’s not got a lot of “character” but it’s nice and easy to read, the new one looks like it tries too hard.

Thass

I am a little surprised that it seems the real-time clock feature was included in the interface. Just wondering if it would have the AM/PM instead of military time? Also if it would be in the battle part as well? I hardly even knew it was there in AoW:SM but thought it as a great feature not really expected it in most games.

Slightly shifting the topic. As far as I am aware, there’s more to an interface than the font, important though it clearly is to people here!

So, I was wondering, in the AoW3 screenshots, the display in the bottom right, which is basically a square with circles sitting on the edges-well this seems a bit clunky and a bit ugly to me. I am referring to the gallery:
    http://www.ageofwonders.com/gallery/

specifically image 1 of 37, which is the strategic map.

Image 2 is a battle map and this looks better her than in the strategic map, in my opinion.

Also, can we move the end turn button? It just seems to hang there. Now ay of putting it right in the bottom right?

Thass

was a little confused on what you were saying blood battle brain but I am guessing you are referring to the leader portrait circles not being consistent between battle and world view in design. I think design works well with giving a sense that the other circles are attached to it. With the world view interface giving it a design would feel to me like it is trying to fill up the screen, not being decorative. That is my opinion though.

melkathi

Slightly shifting the topic. As far as I am aware, there’s more to an interface than the font, important though it clearly is to people here!

So, I was wondering, in the AoW3 screenshots, the display in the bottom right, which is basically a square with circles sitting on the edges-well this seems a bit clunky and a bit ugly to me. I am referring to the gallery:

http://www.ageofwonders.com/gallery/

specifically image 1 of 37, which is the strategic map.

Image 2 is a battle map and this looks better her than in the strategic map, in my opinion.

Also, can we move the end turn button? It just seems to hang there. Now ay of putting it right in the bottom right?

I’m not really happy with the UI. It is very clean and modern. Though looking at the old AoW UI, it was not very elaborate either. I guess it is the colours and higher definition that really makes it looks off in the new version.

I just want the old AoW fonts back. There was nothing wrong with those.
    https://imageshack.us/f/8ArrayArray/aowArrayArray57.jpg/

On the world map it’s the mini map on the bottom right. I wouldn’t mind putting that on the top right, and all the circles on the bottom, with the end turn button in the bottom right corner.

Thass

I’m not really happy with the UI. It is very clean and modern. Though looking at the old AoW UI, it was not very elaborate either. I guess it is the colours and higher definition that really makes it looks off in the new version.

I would agree that the new UI does give off a modern feel but I wonder how would you give off a feel of a combination of industrialization and magic?

On the world map it’s the mini map on the bottom right. I wouldn’t mind putting that on the top right, and all the circles on the bottom, with the end turn button in the bottom right corner.

I think it would feel odd if the map was moved up top since the last AoW had it in the bottom and most other games have it in the same place as now too.

meeber

<DIV class=d4p-bbt-quote-title>Meeber wrote:</DIV>
    <P>Edi it is a good thing you put that last edit at the bottom of your post for using the S – word. I used the word ‘dumb’ in another tread and you would have thought it was the end of the world for something very minor.</P>

<P>Can you stop playing the drama queen finally? Everytime you come here you start crying like a little girl about how some of those evil fans bashed you a bit. It’s really irritating. And by the way there is a “little” difference between calling the fonts shit and saying that the descriptions are dumb and AoW has no story at all.</P>

No there is not much of a difference except somehow I hurt your feelings by saying one of the discriptions my friends and I thought was a little dumb (we did not care for it) and that I did not notice the lore in previous AOW games. I took it all to be just generic background fluff just like most stratagy computer games that allow you to create your own maps. Oh and by the way calling font ‘shit’ can hurt someones feelings as well even if you think that font is of a lower priority than lore/fluff.

melkathi

I would agree that the new UI does give off a modern feel but I wonder how would you give off a feel of a combination of industrialization and magic?

The only example I can think of off the top of my hat is Arcanum. While I doubt anyone would accuse that game of having a pretty UI, it may be worth looking at just for comparisson.

Personally I’d prefer different UI themes based on class. A very magicy UI for wizzies and a very steampunky one for dreadnoughts. A martial one for warlords and a religious one for theocrats and so on.

edit: I am well aware that that might just not be economically viable. But a frostling can dream of spring, can’t they?

@ melkathi, if I understand you correctly, you are basically saying you’d like a re-skin of the U.I for different classes, so that’d be 6 total skins for the U.I? Why would that be un viable? Basically a paint job right?

melkathi

@ melkathi, if I understand you correctly, you are basically saying you’d like a re-skin of the U.I for different classes, so that’d be 6 total skins for the U.I? Why would that be un viable? Basically a paint job right?

Basically yeah.
    I have no idea how big or small the team is and how much other work the artsy person who does the UI might have.

edward_amin

Damn, I really like the old one better. It is just easier and look better.

The new one looked like Times New Roman :/

Circonflexe

double post…

Circonflexe

As this debate is getting a bit passionated, could the devs please implement the simpler solution: choose whichever font they prefer as the default, and then allow the users to change fonts if they so choose?

Then if you make the “fantasy” font the default, the users would be able to use the free Liberation font instead. If you make the “clean” font the default, the users would be able to pick Gentium instead, or some blackletter font if they don’t care for legibility at all. There are enough free fonts. (And font metrics changes should not be too big a problem, and at the users’ own risk).

Andocair

Since many fonts do have quite noticable differences in width and default size, just allowing the use of any random font at hand could very well break more, than it fixes.

But if it comes down to this times-font being the default UI font, as the result of the poll suggests, I would very much like the option to mod it easily.

Thass

I would have to agree with Andocair on that having a at hand ability to change font would be bad but I think being able to mod it would be interesting, like having Bilbo notes for creature descriptions with fancy lettering.

for the UI I think it could have the same issues as needing a default but I could be wrong. Having it attached to your class would make a lot more work for adding new classes like the necromancer class.

OPTIMO

I would like font in ancient times like Trajan pro, which was used to be inscribed in marble.

RnDMonkey

I absolutely loath the new font. I really, really hate it. Calibri (what the originals appear to be in) is one of the finest fonts in existence, balancing readability, scalability, and elegance together perfectly. The new font is just awful. Please, gaming gods, do not afflict me with another Times New Roman-esque font! I’m begging you! The new font’s numbers are particularly egregious, and it manages to look annoying without looking authentic at all. I prefer the AoW1 font by far, and Calibri better still.
    At least come up with something that looks pleasing to the eye and is easily scaled and read, and doesn’t have serifs! Serifs need to die.

Cosmicwitch

*relieved sigh*

Viewing 19 posts - 91 through 109 (of 109 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.