Buff Uprising Cosmic Events

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Balance Suggestions Buff Uprising Cosmic Events

This topic contains 15 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Wallthing 7 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Ericridge

Currently I believe the uprising events is bit too weak and tame. Boring.

They is only of relevance if a empire being struck by them is in a war.

I have noticed that they spawn and attack your weakest points in the empire.

Thus for example the Troll King Uprising,

That eight troll stack which just killed your six musketeers who was on their way to reinforce the frontlines should be emboldened by their success for defeating one of your armies.

And this emboldened includes replacing any dead trolls, and multiply by two. Which brings us to sixteen trolls. Then they will be on their way to attack you at your most vulnerable point.

And if those sixteen trolls manage to carry on and take even a outpost from you, the attacking stacks will now increase to thirty-two trolls which will carry on attacking something else. And the city that was taken should have fresh recruit trolls spawned to defend it from being retaken with a single scout. With eight trolls being spawned as city defenders at minimum the same way as city gets it’s units spawned when you grant them independence.

Same should be done for the fire rogue and rise of dire penguins etc.

This would encourage me to seek out the cosmic events and activate them.

Because I am disappointed in lack of chaos from cosmic events.

At most, a planetary alignment event happens when I am researching a 1-2 turn tech which only upsets me for like few seconds. There’s nothing that makes me go oh shit. Not even the fog that makes my machines more vulnerable to sorcerer. Its temporary and will be gone in few turns.

But a wild troll threat will snowball until it knocks me out or I stop it.

If you lose your entire empire to dire penguin uprising because of this change to cosmic event…. you didn’t deserve to be called an emperor!

Garresh

With all due respect, dont you play ultra long games? In normal games when a war is happening sparing the stacks can hurt a lot.

Ericridge

Well I do have uprising events occur at awkward times like super early when I’m off fighting a enemy and that lets a random phoenix+assassin sneak in and take my throne city.

I manage to kill the assassin with two musketeers in throne city and the city falls to phoenix.

It might take me few turns but I always take the city back with no issues.

It would’ve been a different story if my two musketeers got killed and that assassin got replaced and that victorious stack spawned another stack and proceeded to attack one of my three cities defended by six civic guards. Two phoenixs and two assassins would be probably more than good enough to overcome six civic guards. As that snowball occurs again and again..

Then I get punished for having terrible garrison and sending everything away to invade. XD

This is what I’m talking about. Cuz I just overcame an uprising like nothing happened even when I played poorly.

I only lost my throne city and a village for five turns at most. Plus two musketeers and three civic guards.

The fire rogue happened at like turn 30+ I believe.

Lykus

Thus for example the Troll King Uprising,

That eight troll stack which just killed your six musketeers who was on their way to reinforce the frontlines should be emboldened by their success for defeating one of your armies.

And this emboldened includes replacing any dead trolls, and multiply by two. Which brings us to sixteen trolls. Then they will be on their way to attack you at your most vulnerable point.

And if those sixteen trolls manage to carry on and take even a outpost from you, the attacking stacks will now increase to thirty-two trolls which will carry on attacking something else. And the city that was taken should have fresh recruit trolls spawned to defend it from being retaken with a single scout. With eight trolls being spawned as city defenders at minimum the same way as city gets it’s units spawned when you grant them independence.

I think multiplicity by two is to much, but if those stacks would get stronger every turn/ replenish their losses i would like it.Also creating garrisons for captured cities would be great.

Gloweye

I agree these events could use a slight boost. Free garrisons for captures cities would be a plus.

NINJEW

trolls invading all my weakly defended cities is incredibly frustrating, please don’t make it even more powerful

This seems to be an mp/so thing, where it isn’t hard enough to be fun for good players in sp, but is enough to make a difference in mp where even a few turns of shifting advantage can determine the game.

Solution would be an ultra setting for cosmic events that is designed for large and extra large maps. Or modding.

Bob5

I don’t have much MP experience with it, but I wouldn’t mind them becoming a little tougher, the Troll armies tend to be mainly free exp for me.

NINJEW

yeah i could see more tiers of cosmic events being introduced that kick in even later in the game with even harder enemies

NINJEW

also please remove dark sun tia

quo

The secondary issue is if you buff it too much, AI players get destroyed by the spawns kind of like they do independent camps.

This this this this.

My nickname for Dark Sun is “Kill Fun.” I hate it so much I often reroll the game turn if it rolls in SP. It’s especially frustrating when it triggers while you’re in the Underground with one of the races that doesn’t have Night Vision.

Ericridge

The secondary issue is if you buff it too much, AI players get destroyed by the spawns kind of like they do independent camps.

This this this this.

My nickname for Dark Sun is “Kill Fun.” I hate it so much I often reroll the game turn if it rolls in SP. It’s especially frustrating when it triggers while you’re in the Underground with one of the races that doesn’t have Night Vision.

Dark Sun have no effect underground. Its impossible the sun cannot reach under there.

And Dark sun is temporary, it only occurs once. I’ve never seen it trigger twice.

And playing as one of those races with no night vision, just bust open those Inns and look for mercenaries with night vision then bring them into your armies. Minimum needed is just one unit per army and that army will have superior vision underground.

In one of my forays into the underground I had a bunch of orc mercenaries in my armies searching the underground until I found an orc outpost and that solved my problem for good.

Ericridge

I miss seeing this kind of hell being raised on me.

It was very entertaining to me. One of my AI allies almost got killed off.
    http://aow.triumph.net/forums/topic/undead-swarm/

Dark Sun is a terrible cosmic event, especially for early game where you have few units. Dramatically slows the game down. I’d be happy if it were removed or only appeared mid-late game.

Ericridge

Dark Sun is a terrible cosmic event, especially for early game where you have few units. Dramatically slows the game down. I’d be happy if it were removed or only appeared mid-late game.

I’m calling it now.

Dark Sun gets moved to midgame and everyone starts whining about midgame armies popping out of nowhere and torching their whole empire to the ground. Bonus points if you pull it off with Human Horse Archers to replicate the scourge of god punishment.

Wallthing

While Dark Sun is annoying (particularly that it won’t affect enemy AI as much as the player) my least favorite cosmic event is entirely due to personal bias: Planetary Alignment drives me crazy. Only once has this event occurred when I wasn’t completing research that turn anyway… yet I see it almost every game. X|

I could handle uprising events recovering their lost units when/if they take a city, but not much if any more than that. Like NINJEW I think what you and other players who use similar settings actually need is a “endgame” or “very late game” category of cosmic happening.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.