Builders can no longer build roads without LOS

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Builders can no longer build roads without LOS

This topic contains 9 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Gloweye 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Outis

You used to be able to select BUILD ROAD on the builder menu and build a road along the full movement of the builder even if the destination hex was in Fog of War (i.e. No LOS)

Now you can only build roads to hexes that are in LOS. So essentially, you can only build a road 3 hexes long and then you have to select the builder again, select BUILD ROAD again, go 3 hexes again, and repeat this every 3 hexes until your builder movement points are gone. In the underground this is reduced to 2 hexes!

Can we get it rolled back to where builders could Build Roads into FOW for efficiency sake.

I think it was changed to this way because people were exploiting the old method’s error messages to determine the location of enemy stacks.

Edit: Although I would like a way to build roads at the same time as clearing dirt cavern walls, which for some reason you can’t do simultaneously atm.

Dammit, and I already have 641.7 hrs play time which means no refund. 🙁

smeagolheart

this is really annoying underground if you have a builder without nightvision.

Tombles
    Keymaster

I think it was changed to this way because people were exploiting the old method’s error messages to determine the location of enemy stacks.

Yeah, this is the reason. I’m afraid it wasn’t possible to fix the exploit in any other way.

BB Shockwave

Dammit, and I already have 641.7 hrs play time which means no refund. :(

Not sure if you are serious or just joking… this is not such a big problem, IMHO. You mostly build roads inside your empire anyway, so you will see the land thanks to city domains and watchtowers.

Gloweye

He was joking.

Haosha

OP: As a short-term jury-rigged fix I was able to modify and add “Sight Range Bonus” on the base race builder units which allows me to use those builders in the manner which I was accustomed in single player. Not sure where the builders are for DLC races to modify but I am sure someone knows! I think that will solve your issue.

“Although I would like a way to build roads at the same time as clearing dirt cavern walls, which for some reason you can’t do simultaneously atm.”

A Toggle-mode addition to the game, with a specific toggle-ability on builders which might have the function ‘Build Road as you move’ would make builders much easier to handle. Even better if they could follow waypoints over several turns when you want them to build not the fastest route for the builder but the road which other units can follow using the least MP to get them to where you want to go.

Would probably be a lot (too much at this stage) of work to add such a feature, but maybe one day in the series many units could be made more interesting having overland map options available with an A or B … etc toggle(s), but with a little more variety than the ice-queens “I go boom now, bye!”

e.g. For scoundrels/assassins they might have a toggle when in enemy territory to start raiding the locals, stealing their upkeep + a little gold from a local enemy town(to a limit) at the cost of giving a popup to the defenders that hostiles are nearby (drawing a human player into a trap if for example, only 1 unit in a stack has the toggle on and they are surprised)

A sorcerer hero for example, might learn a toggle after unlocking harmonizing energy (The sorc heal), whereby if that hero has enough spell-points at the end of a overland turn, empire mana and the toggle is on the hero will cast the spell as if it followed the rules of a heal spell at the end of a turn.

Attachments:

Outis

@haosha

Thanks for the tip on how to fix.

Gloweye

. Not sure where the builders are for DLC races to modify but I am sure someone knows! I think that will solve your issue.

They should be in their respective race packs, like Units_Halflings or something like that.

As for the toggle, that’s not possible on the unit itself(since we don’t have access to strategic targetters from unit abilities). However, we can do a clunky version with spells that will allow much of what you describe.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.