Building Bridges

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Building Bridges

This topic contains 12 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Triscopic 6 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Why can’t builders build bridges? I mean, it is something that is on the game, and if a builder can build a fort/tower why would not he be able to build bridges?

My suggestion:

Allow ‘Bridge Building’ as part of the Advanced Logistics Empire Upgrade, so you don’t start with it from beggining. And make Bridges cost something like 100g to build one and 1-2 turn(s).

If there is a specifically reason that I don’t know, sorry for the thread them 😐

SkyNet52

I’d support it!
    It does seem like its missing. I kind of assumed it was something that might automatically occur while trying to build a road across one hex bodies of water/lava, with a significantly increased cost of course, as opposed to it’s own independent function.

emky

Builders can build bridges once you get seafaring. It costs 60 gold, and it consumes all of the movement like embarking. Since it takes a lot of movement, you have to start close. And you can only build across 1 tile (no more than 1) when neither side is a mountain. Oh, and you can’t build bridges adjacent to one another; there must be space between them. (Ie, no double wide bridges.)

Similar works if the builder is floating, such as from the Arch Druid’s ultimate global.

EDIT (clarification): It’s part of “build road” and you click on the water space. Blocked water doesn’t work.

Gloweye

It also doesn’t work for Cavern Walls(so sometimes you have to embark, disembark to dig out, and then build the bridge).

Also, doesn’t work for Lava.

Builders can build bridges once you get seafaring. It costs 60 gold, and it consumes all of the movement like embarking. Since it takes a lot of movement, you have to start close. And you can only build across 1 tile (no more than 1) when neither side is a mountain. Oh, and you can’t build bridges adjacent to one another; there must be space between them. (Ie, no double wide bridges.)

Similar works if the builder is floating, such as from the Arch Druid’s ultimate global.

EDIT (clarification): It’s part of “build road” and you click on the water space. Blocked water doesn’t work.

Oh man, thanks so much…is that something new? I’ve tried some time ago but I was unable, maybe the sircustances that I tried was not correct or it was not in the game already. Man that is lifechanging! So, just forget about the thread, at least maybe it is not only me that did not know about that and the thread is not going to be completely useless.

PS: already used in a game!! 😀

Fenraellis

is that something new?

No, it’s been there since shortly after release, but it’s not disclosed anywhere in game(only in the related patch notes). Perhaps they should make a Tome entry that would come up if someone searched for the word “bridge” or “build bridge” that would detail the process and requirements.

Epaminondas

Interesting and informative. And thanks.

Joppsta

Being able to build bridges or some better way to travel units across bodies of water in the later game would be appreciated.

Motasa

Isn’t it necessary to have a road on either side of the riverbank before being able to build a bridge? I confess I don’t build bridges that often, mostly because the RMG already places bridges abundantly.

Ravenholme

Isn’t it necessary to have a road on either side of the riverbank before being able to build a bridge? I confess I don’t build bridges that often, mostly because the RMG already places bridges abundantly.

Don’t believe so. It has been a while since I built one, but I’m fairly sure that I have done it without road on the other side of the river

emky

Yeah, a tome entry for this would be great. I accidentally discovered it after much frustration and bewilderment like the OP had.

Gloweye

No, roads are irrelevant – though there will be a road build on the hex that the builder leaves if there isn’t one.

Being able to build bridges or some better way to travel units across bodies of water in the later game would be appreciated.

Read the topic…it’s already in there.

Triscopic

Wait… What? I… Had no idea!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.