Can someone write guide for class synergies?

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Can someone write guide for class synergies?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  NINJEW 6 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

notme

I found nice guide for specialization synergies some time ago: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=247323957

Sir Toine

read that and i just learned that machines can be affected by embrace darkness thus getting life-steal..
    uuuhhhh…that seems…no.

Stormwind

Machines I think are envisioned as being operated by people. So that should really not make it much different than a swordsman who hits someone with a sword and has the life energy conduct through the metal sword vampirically.

Of course this leaves open the question of why machines arent affected by spirit. Maybe being surrounded by a metal golem gives you more protection than a simple suit of armor that leaves areas of your body still exposed. (Kind of like why terminators can time travel because their metal body is covered by living matter, but cannot time travel while carrying a ray gun because the metal of the gun is exposed.)

Bottom line is that balance needs to come first or the game is ruined! Your job as a player is to come up with rationalizations that explain away all the little contradictions!

Machines I think are envisioned as being operated by people. So that should really not make it much different than a swordsman who hits someone with a sword and has the life energy conduct through the metal sword vampirically.
    Of course this leaves open the question of why machines arent affected by spirit. Maybe being surrounded by a metal golem gives you more protection than a simple suit of armor that leaves areas of your body still exposed. (Kind of like why terminators can time travel because their metal body is covered by living matter, but cannot time travel while carrying a ray gun because the metal of the gun is exposed.)
    Bottom line is that balance needs to come first or the game is ruined! Your job as a player is to come up with rationalizations that explain away all the little contradictions!

Well Lord Stormwind, I can see this working for humanoids and other organic beings, every hit transferring lifeforce of your enemy that is on its turn used to fasten your healing of wounds by increasing the rate that your cells split, thus a being that already has a form of “regeneration” should be able to use this to heal his wounds.

but machines HP is based on the damage of the metal armor and internal engines and mana cores and such, it is pretty interesting to use lifeforce and “heal” the damage on a golem, I can understand that lifesteal heals the operator, but the state of the operator should be a small portion of the golems HP. using Lifeforce to heal inorganic matters (like the metal armor) is strange, if that works then in theory a soldier with lifesteal standing on a wall should also heal the wall. not that I search for any logic in a game but still there should be some dwarf dreadnought thinking how the hell his golems metal plating is fixing itself.

Except the golem is a being where they meld together the organic flesh and metal. having the operator “be one” with his metal suit, that should be an interesting sight to see this being created. and with magic everything is possible. this also explain how they can build such a golem without computing to make those golems running, they use the brain of the operator to make everything move.

Begging for another question: “do golems feel”

NINJEW

it used to not work on machines. it was changed as a balance measure because otherwise dreadnoughts had almost no reason to use the spec.

What really doesn’t make sense is why there’s no way to boost the morale of machines. Terrain effects not working, sure, but not even dreadnought heroes can inspire Golem pilots?

It significantly reduces the synergy with Grey Guard.

notme

Umm it like no one wants to write guide for classes equivalent to guide that I posted in thread… :/

Umm it like no one wants to write guide for classes equivalent to guide that I posted in thread… :/

I’m not trying to be rude with this reply, but have you ever tried writing an in-depth guide like that before? It takes significant time to get all the information, organization, and formatting done. If someone were to take you up on it it would most certainly not be done yet.

NINJEW

yeah the stuff i’ve written in doctorbigtime’s threads took me a while to do and that was the highest level you could go with strategic discussion.

if you were asking for, say, a list of what races are noteably good for which classes, with a brief explanation of why/noteable units, i could certainly oblige, and that’d be a fun way to give you a starting point while also leaving you to figure out good tactics on your own, but going into a full on guide for each class is a bit more effort than i really want to put in, to be quite honest.

NINJEW, I think he’s looking for a guide more focused on the specializations, which as you’ve pointed out are really up for debate and very customizable based on your personal strategies.

Advice given to me (mostly by NINJEW, Ex, etc) is that you don’t need to worry so much about which specializations mesh with the class so much as with the strategy you want to pursue or even your own personal flavor. Destruction Master, for instance, will always be good in multiplayer regardless of class. You just need to know that taking this specialization will more or less make you go on a war path of pillaging destruction. (Not 100%, but you get the point) If you prefer to play a turtle with mass Vassals/Cities then Keeper of the Peace Master is probably up your alley, etc.

There are of course some decent synergies out there, like Grey Guard with a summoner class (for harvesting CP) or Shadowborne for melee heavy compositions (for lifesteal), but in general most specializations work for most classes. Pick one that fits your style / strategy. You can double down on strengths (Shadowborne with Orc Theocrat for nigh-infinite sustain and creeping power), bring up your weaknesses (Fire adept on Human Warlord to get a direct damage spell, a summon unit, and multiple channels for damage outside of physical/holy), or a mix of the two in some fashion.

Here is a thread where we at least laid the foundation for what are good race/class combos: http://aow.triumph.net/forums/topic/another-race-class-combo-thread-now-with-more-google-docs/
    These aren’t perfect, and you should never feel like you have to play the ‘best’ race/class because it’s not universally true. (for instance: Your large map has underground and you want to settler spam then Goblins will be far superior to most races higher than it on the chart for Warlord.)

Here is a thread where I asked for help with some specialization combos: (although mine were very limited and specific at the time) http://aow.triumph.net/forums/topic/help-with-specializations/
    I’m sure you could click on NINJEW, ExNihil, Gloweye, Chryslphylax, and many others’ names here and search their post history. Look at their replies, you’d eventually find some where they’ve helping me/others with strategy.

NINJEW

oh i thought he wanted a class synergy guide int he style of this other guide he found

yeah nah going class by class with the specs isn’t going to be a good idea in any case, especially since that’ll be heavily affected by race as well.

it’s pretty much as doctor bigtime says. if you want the words out of my mouth instead, take a look here: http://aow.triumph.net/forums/topic/help-with-specializations/

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.