Change existing combat maps

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Modding and Map Making Change existing combat maps

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Gloweye 6 years ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Eomolch

Hi! Does anybody know if the existing combat maps can be copied and edited and if yes where they can be found? Any info on this topic would be much appreciated 🙂

Gloweye

Technically yes. If you’re comfortable with Hex editing, and are able to deliver the files back the exact same size. even then, only replace a select few obstacles with others.

Here’s some screenshots I took while attempting to replace that of the Well of Life from Corrupt the Source – Extensions:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=550823835

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=548554823

the first is a Fey Dwelling with the well replacing the central roots thingy. This was made with rpk editing only – filtering the roots to only appear on fertile plains, and ensuring a fey dwelling to always have fertile plains under it. Meanwhile, add the well as the same structure filtered for only barrens, which are forced under every Well of Life.

This is the method I reccomend.

The second one is the same, but using the cursed well tactical combat map. However, that’s locked into blighted theme so replacing everything there the above way wouldnt work, and doing that with the fey’s version is to prone to weird incompatibilities imo.

I have achieved the second effect with copying a map and changing it with a hex editor. Every name has a length, and that length is noted 4 bytes in front of it in hexadecimal. However, prepare to click a lot of assertions if you change lengths – the byte reading stream gets confused. Else, you could try to modify everything to have the same name lengths, but even then you’re still limited.

Eomolch

Hi Gloweye, thanks a lot for your detailed response. (and great job on the well of life map btw)

Since the maps I would like to change are water maps I don’t think the trick you mention with fertile plains / barrens would work, though I could be wrong. But I will come back to it when the rest of the mod is done, since it is more a nice to have thing, nothing mandatory (and if I changed a map I would want to make more drastic changes, which, as you point out may be very difficult to achieve if not impossible).

Gloweye

well, I didn’t go through with the well of life thing because i didn’t wanna make changes to the fey dwelling – it’d be an untracable incompatibility. Replacing it in the tam files with hexediting didn’t get assertion-free.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.