Chapter 6 Elven Campaign

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Chapter 6 Elven Campaign

This topic contains 21 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  Azunai 8 years ago.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author

Is a surprise time limit going to pop up like the last time or can I take my time?
    There is ALOT of nuetrals and treasure here…

Weltenreiter

You can take your time in theory, but while it doesn’t have a hard time limit, it’s a “hold ground and pursue specific non-conquest objective while wedged between the 2 biggest armies of the age” thing, so you might or might not have problems with that (Odds are on not, what with that many top-level heroes, but who knows).
    Also maybe don’t push the 2 head honchos back to throne-only or you may run into issues.

Sammael7

I will give you a warning, you better play aggressively. I took my time to build up forces and tech, and then I started to see juggernaut stacking, which will rip the core rogue units to shreds. Rogue vs dreadnought juggernauts is an awful matchup, so the longer you leave those power centers unmolested, the harder your late game will become.

I actually just quit the campaign, I will start that mission over later, it’s too daunting to think about now. But in my new playthrough, I will hit the east hard and fast, and take out those dreadnoughts before they build up the juggernaut spam.

Sammael7

This mission made me hate the rogue with a deep passion, druid, theocrat, sorceror, even another dreadnought would all be better as a primary class against these juggernaut spamming cretins than the freaking rogue.

The shadow stalker will be burned to shreds against juggernaut bombs before they even reach the targets, it’s a nightmare.

spivo

I have 5-6 remaining AI towns, and must say progress has slowed down significant.
    All have 3 stacks, and all stacks have at least 2 juggs.

But, 3 stacks of nightshades on auto, does actually kill a few.

And add to this that I am building up a massive multistack of Firstborns, and my hero stack has support from fire dragons. And the undead town is building wraith kings to. Basically throwing everything at them, town by town.
    I am convinced I will win, but I must say that juggernauts suffer from what makes most machines bordering OP:
    No retaliation! I can pin down shrines, basically a single tier 1 unit can make a shrine miss it’s next turn.

Machines, dreadnought (and trebs), are impossible to stop unless you destroy them.
    Add to this that my opportunity attack means I move LESS next turn, the machine will actually outrun my units when it turns and moves.
    And doing 10 damage to a machine, that then moves away and returns 30 aoe damage is…

I would very much like to see some units get (with medals maybe) “rotting attack”, that cripples machines, etc…

Hmm, maybe I made a mistake than. I ended up going west first…There is alot of purple on the map.

Ichthyic

Rogue vs dreadnought juggernauts is an awful matchup

yup. go east first and use scout units to locate the human leader asap. if you built your rogue right, you might just be able to take him out as soon as you find him.

then, dreadnoughts no longer an issue.

elven army much easier to deal with.

I would very much like to see some units get (with medals maybe) “rotting attack”, that cripples machines, etc…

that’s a good idea. your druid gets a “rust” spell that basically makes a dreadnought about as dangerous as a trebuchet.

could add that attack to say something like water elementals, maybe goblin big beetle could have “acid spit” that does similar, etc. make it a one use/combat thing.

thabob79

Personally i’dd say rush Leonus, capture him asap. Then fortify yourself.
    NB even if you capture a Leader, their allies will continue to be hostile.

grumpysmurf

I started to hate the campaign – having to start over many times to bugs and AI problems.

• throne reroute did not work
    • I accidentally captured the throne city of a leader, and he would jump around the map – curse my cities, but never ever capture a city back.
    • AI starts to commit logistical suicide, by abandoning cities cities.
    • one leader would simply disappear from the map – I could not locate a single unit nor building and that yielded the campaign unwinable.
    • I misspecced my theocrat and for 2 or 3 levels I was unable to give him vow of poverty – that hampered the early game a lot, as him army is usually the most expensive and “auto combat-able”.

Luckily I nuke the some leaders quite early and hampered their research so they did not reach dreadnaughts in time. Yet most maps feel like rush or die.

How do you trigger the thing to teleport them to the cave? He said he gave me an item, but there is nothing in my inventory.

I will give you a warning, you better play aggressively. I took my time to build up forces and tech, and then I started to see juggernaut stacking, which will rip the core rogue units to shreds. Rogue vs dreadnought juggernauts is an awful matchup, so the longer you leave those power centers unmolested, the harder your late game will become.

Dragons are critical: remember that speed is your friend, and that you can outdistance the AI’s Juggernauts over broken terrain. Also keep your Dwarf cities, because Forge priest + Shadow Stalker+ smoke screen= effective anti dreadnought weapon.

Also, try to let the enemy fight each other: that will tie up some of their armies.

Azunai

merlin shows up on turn 1 in a tile next to sundren and drops the item on the ground. you have to pick it up manually. if you didn’t pick it up, it’s probably still on one of the hexes surrounding your throne city.

climhazzard

If you’ve already played the map but failed, then you know approximately where to go to find the enemy leaders you need to capture. You can easily win with the units provided and nothing else. Take all your units except the goblin and have them chase after Leonus. Have the Goblin Theocrat go east and plunder everything in site while looking for the Elf leader. After your first bunch of heroes are successful capturing Leonus, have them use the underground passage to go assist the Goblin. Just research advanced logistics so they can get it all done before the opponents build up.

If you’re able to win this map by conquering it then, that’s awesome, I started losing ground around turn 50 or so. If i were going to try again I think I would focus on obtaining the gold resources found in the far north right away, there’s something like 8 or 10 mines up there packed fairly close together. Then wipe out those dreadnought leaders as soon as possible, give your goblin Hero some decent units and have him burning stuff down in their territory right from turn one.

Merlin never dropped anything. I’ve looked around my throne city and there is no bag. What is the item called?

Draxynnic

Personally, when I did this, I found Saridas much more threatening by far than the others, but I think the scenario has been changed since.

But yes, while there’s no strict time limit, the map does reward early aggression – hitting the enemy leaders is reasonably easy if you do it early. Note that while you don’t NEED to, you CAN capture the enemy subordinate leaders as well, so if you get an opportunity take it – it’s a much easier way to defuse a threat than conquering or containing them.

grumpysmurf

for 1.09 I found a few things handy:

• charm / convert secondary heroes (and everything else
    • kill the enemy leaders early – they loose 3 rounds spell casting / research basically putting them behind you – I always chose 1 turn research till turn 10
    • just threatening with stacks makes the AI burn the cities – reducing your absorb time if you conquer them
    • peaceful waiting for quests from dwellings took too long – when I started over I took most villages by force
    • never take a throne city belonging to a quest NPC
    • pick up merlins present

Ichthyic

there should be a notification right away when the teleport diversion thing works.

it’s a rather important event. there should be at least some acknowledgment, with a further confirmation when he pops into jail three days later.

jamiepanter

I am having massive problems with this. From what I understand, if Sundren hits leonus then when he dies he goes to my prison for him? Why then when I hit him and he dies and after I finish the battle I get a speech from Sundren saying we failed and another leader will take his place??? Very very confused. Am I doing it wrong?

Azunai

no- when he dies he is dead. the goal is to force him into the void, i.e. to take him down while he still has a throne city. if he doesn’t have a throne, the normal rules of the game apply (leader without a throne gets killed instead of going to the void)

regarding the overall strategy on this map – summon lots of crows to find the leader, use the flying mounts you got in chapter 5 to get your squad of 4 high level heroes to the leonus or saridas as fast as possible, take them out (4 high level heroes should be able to kill pretty much any army they may have that early in the game), make sure the hero with the wand does the “killing” blow (sundren should be fine – if he has a dagger with extra backstab damage, she can probably kill the level 1 leaders with a single backstab). then find the other of the two and repeat.
    if you hurry up, the show is over in less than 20 turns.

melkathi

The good thing is, the moment you capture Leonus or Saridas, their cities turn peaceful, so you no longer have to worry about them.

I send Sundren with the wand east to capture Leonus, then I send the wand to a leader on the other side of the map (took 7 turns for the item to arrive), so that Sundren wouldn’t have to take off the pressure from Leonus’ lackeys.

jpinard

no- when he dies he is dead. the goal is to force him into the void, i.e. to take him down while he still has a throne city. if he doesn’t have a throne, the normal rules of the game apply (leader without a throne gets killed instead of going to the void)

regarding the overall strategy on this map – summon lots of crows to find the leader, use the flying mounts you got in chapter 5 to get your squad of 4 high level heroes to the leonus or saridas as fast as possible, take them out (4 high level heroes should be able to kill pretty much any army they may have that early in the game), make sure the hero with the wand does the “killing” blow (sundren should be fine – if he has a dagger with extra backstab damage, she can probably kill the level 1 leaders with a single backstab). then find the other of the two and repeat.<br>
    if you hurry up, the show is over in less than 20 turns.

And some of us don’t want to cheat/exploit out to win. We want to expand like normal and win the way the mission was designed. There’s a ton to explore, open, experience etc and we shouldn’t be forced to do an “all or nothing” to eliminate them.

Azunai

how is it a “cheat/exploit” to go straight for the objective of that mission? if you paid attention to the story of the campaign – the whole “torchbearer” idea is based on fighting the true enemy – the shadowborn that want to weaken/destroy the two major powers on the world, presumably in preparation of some invasion from the shadow world or something.

the goal of that last map is not to annihilate the elven court and the commonwealth. the goal is to capture their leaders and avoid unnecessary destruction. that’s how that mission is designed. doing the smart thing and taking out their leaders quickly and efficiently is not “cheat/exploit” – it’s how the map is designed.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.